Singapore Expats

Working for HK employer remotely in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
visitorinsg

Working for HK employer remotely in Singapore

Post by visitorinsg » Sat, 02 Jul 2022 7:31 pm

Hi, my partner from HK is looking to move to Singapore but his current employer in HK doesnt have a registered office in Singapore. I am currently holding an EP myself but we are not married. I have some questions here and I hope to see if any experts can help. (Have also tried to use the search function but yet to see any similar situations..)

I understood we can look for a local sponsor for him but…

1. What does the Singapore sponsor need to do exactly? (I would like to know the steps needed in details in order to faciliate the process and help ease the sponsor’s hassle)
2. Does the local sponsor needs to arrange a job advertisement for this sponsored role? Would it mean the local sponsor is “hiring” my partner and can my partner still be employed by his original HK employer?
3. We saw from the MOM website the application costs is S$105, plus S$225 for a successful case. Does anyone know if there is any extra costs incurred? As well as how much tax does the Singapore employer have to pay for my partner for his stay in Singapore?
4. Can the original HK employer pay the salary directly to my partner or it has to go through the Singapore sponsor?

Thanks!

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: Working for HK employer remotely in Singapore

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sun, 03 Jul 2022 2:28 am

visitorinsg wrote:
Sat, 02 Jul 2022 7:31 pm
Hi, my partner from HK is looking to move to Singapore but his current employer in HK doesnt have a registered office in Singapore. I am currently holding an EP myself but we are not married. I have some questions here and I hope to see if any experts can help. (Have also tried to use the search function but yet to see any similar situations..)

I understood we can look for a local sponsor for him but…

1. What does the Singapore sponsor need to do exactly? (I would like to know the steps needed in details in order to faciliate the process and help ease the sponsor’s hassle)
2. Does the local sponsor needs to arrange a job advertisement for this sponsored role? Would it mean the local sponsor is “hiring” my partner and can my partner still be employed by his original HK employer?
3. We saw from the MOM website the application costs is S$105, plus S$225 for a successful case. Does anyone know if there is any extra costs incurred? As well as how much tax does the Singapore employer have to pay for my partner for his stay in Singapore?
4. Can the original HK employer pay the salary directly to my partner or it has to go through the Singapore sponsor?

Thanks!
I don't think any of this will fly at all. It's a contracting game in order to get someone into Singapore who doesn't have an offer of employment from a Singapore company. Were this to be an actual vehicle to come work in Singapore, several hundred thousand Indians would be working for their Indian companies while living in Singapore. I don't see it happening.

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Re: Working for HK employer remotely in Singapore

Post by nelyanne » Tue, 05 Jul 2022 10:31 am

The plan you are describing will look super suspicious. I'd be very surprised if it can work out.

It would be much easier for your partner to move here on DP and continue working remotely for the HK employer (assuming that the HK employer has no business presence in SG). This topic has been widely described on the forum.