Singapore Expats

SC by registration for child born overseas while overseas?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Playmore132

SC by registration for child born overseas while overseas?

Post by Playmore132 » Fri, 01 Jul 2022 7:32 am

A bit of a background:
I'm a SC by registration currently on a study visa in Canada.
My wife whom I legally married in Canada is also a temporary resident in Canada and a non-resident in Singapore.

We are expecting a daughter soon and I understand due to jus soli she will be Canadian by birth. She would not be a SC by descent in this case.

Due to the temporary nature of our status in Canada, I'm weighing my options.

One of the options I am considering is to apply for SC for the child (by registration?). Wondering if anybody has done something similar before. Did you do that before or after returning to Singapore?

Sbk
Regular
Regular
Answers: 1

Re: SC by registration for child born overseas while overseas?

Post by Sbk » Fri, 01 Jul 2022 9:16 am

Once you obtain the birth certificate of your child, simply login to ICA website and apply Singapore citizenship for your child. U can do so before they reach 1 years old, best to do it earlier rather than later.
The child will then have 2 citizenships, you have ample time to decide which citizenship the child keeps. But remember if it is a male child, NS will be waiting for him in Singapore. 😀

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: SC by registration for child born overseas while overseas?

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 03 Jul 2022 10:50 pm

Playmore132 wrote:
Fri, 01 Jul 2022 7:32 am
A bit of a background:
I'm a SC by registration currently on a study visa in Canada.
My wife whom I legally married in Canada is also a temporary resident in Canada and a non-resident in Singapore.

We are expecting a daughter soon and I understand due to jus soli she will be Canadian by birth. She would not be a SC by descent in this case.

Due to the temporary nature of our status in Canada, I'm weighing my options.

One of the options I am considering is to apply for SC for the child (by registration?). Wondering if anybody has done something similar before. Did you do that before or after returning to Singapore?
I did that before bringing the kid to SG. Immediately after my kid was born overseas, i applied for SC within 10 days of birth and got it approved in 1 month.

My kid was on a temporary visa overseas and had no other citizenship at that time.