Singapore Expats

PR for aged parents?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
JN123

PR for aged parents?

Post by JN123 » Thu, 30 Jun 2022 12:11 am

Hi all,

Would like to hear some thoughts on whether is it realistically possible to gain PR for my aged parents? I am aware there is such a category on the ICA website for aged parents of SC, but my impression is this was pretty much non-existent couple of years back. However given that it's been a few years just wondering if there's been any change to that.

Some background info, I am a naturalised SC (ex-Malaysian), came here as a fresh grad and went through the PTS scheme for SPR and subsequently SC. Currently mid-30s and recently married so no kids yet, wife is SPR (Malaysian). Parents are in their mid-60s now and retired, both have not had any long term pass before in SG previously.

Appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR for aged parents?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Jun 2022 5:40 pm

I think, at the moment, there is no viable vehicle to get them PR. However, you can possibly bring them in on LTVPs. But you will have to check with ICA to confirm that possibility.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dan91

Post by dan91 » Fri, 01 Jul 2022 2:24 am

JN123 wrote:
Thu, 30 Jun 2022 12:11 am
Hi all,

Would like to hear some thoughts on whether is it realistically possible to gain PR for my aged parents? I am aware there is such a category on the ICA website for aged parents of SC, but my impression is this was pretty much non-existent couple of years back. However given that it's been a few years just wondering if there's been any change to that.

Some background info, I am a naturalised SC (ex-Malaysian), came here as a fresh grad and went through the PTS scheme for SPR and subsequently SC. Currently mid-30s and recently married so no kids yet, wife is SPR (Malaysian). Parents are in their mid-60s now and retired, both have not had any long term pass before in SG previously.

Thanks
Hi JN123. May I trouble u to share some background info when u submit your SC application, e.g. when did u apply and when was it approved, how long have u stayed in SG by then, how long have u been a PR by then, your marital status at that time, etc. Would really appreciate it as I'm trying to gauge my SC approval chance.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Jul 2022 4:03 pm

dan91 wrote:
Fri, 01 Jul 2022 2:24 am
JN123 wrote:
Thu, 30 Jun 2022 12:11 am
Hi all,

Thanks
Hi JN123. May I trouble u to share some background info when u submit your SC application, e.g. when did u apply and when was it approved, how long have u stayed in SG by then, how long have u been a PR by then, your marital status at that time, etc. Would really appreciate it as I'm trying to gauge my SC approval chance.
Absolutely nothing you are asking for will have any relevance whatsoever to your application of SGC. Each and every application is taken individually on it's own merits AND when it was applied for (ICA primary criteria directive changes as their forecasted needs change by ongoing growth and needs.) How long is a piece of string?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JN123

Post by JN123 » Fri, 01 Jul 2022 11:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 30 Jun 2022 5:40 pm
I think, at the moment, there is no viable vehicle to get them PR. However, you can possibly bring them in on LTVPs. But you will have to check with ICA to confirm that possibility.
Thanks SMS! Guess I will look into the LTVP then. Do you think the older they get the harder it will be to get a LTVP? Reason being I think the need may only come in the next 2-3 years, if we do have kids by then. Just wonder if it would make more sense to apply now or later?
dan91 wrote:
Fri, 01 Jul 2022 2:24 am

I gotten my SC about 5 years ago, so it may not be too relevant now. I don't mind sharing it just for info, but it would probably be better if you were to share your background and get some insights straight from SMS and other fellow forumers.

I submitted my SGC somewhere around 1st half of 2016, just around the 4 year mark of my PR. I would have been in SG for around 6 years back then. If my memory is right, it took me between 6-9 months of waiting time before I gotten my IPA. I was single throughout the whole SC process.

TBH I had a fairly normal profile with a normal job, so after reading through some of the posts here in this forum the only thing I could think of that was in my favour was probably being M'sian Chinese.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Jul 2022 12:34 pm

JN123 wrote:
Fri, 01 Jul 2022 11:50 pm
Thanks SMS! Guess I will look into the LTVP then. Do you think the older they get the harder it will be to get a LTVP? Reason being I think the need may only come in the next 2-3 years, if we do have kids by then. Just wonder if it would make more sense to apply now or later?
Try bringing them in on an LTVP now. Then in a couple of years, try for PR for them as the next step to bring in aging parents (Wife's parents not eligible as she is still SPR). Give it two years of LTVP and then apply for PR for them with you as the sponsor. If it goes, then the next step would be SGC which is already spelled out on the ICA website. Good luck.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Sat, 02 Jul 2022 12:57 pm

My colleague’s husband converted to SG citizenship and got LTVP for his elderly mother (PRC nationality) for 10 years to look after the grandkid. Unfortunately his mother sustained a fall injury in 2019 and decided to go back home to China to recuperate in a familiar environment & with her sibling/nephew/family.

So yeah, LTVP for elderly parents has happened before. Though for your case, you have no kids yet.

My colleague has other PRC-turned-SC friends who only managed to get 3 month LTVP for their parents though. Not sure why.

She mentioned her friends had to apply for just one grandparent to come to SG to look after the grandkid, then when the 3-month LTVP was up, they would apply LTVP for another grandparent, and the cycle continues for all 4 grandparents.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Jul 2022 1:12 pm

MOCHS, I thought about the one-parent at a time thing as well, but the big difference (hopefully) is the special dispensations that are not published on the ICA website but available for our neighbors across the causeway. Just like the much lower income requirements for Malaysia EP and the extra benefits granted due to the ease of assimilation here for Malays & Chinese when applying for PR and subsequent SGC. Our poster is M'sian Chinese and his spouse is M'sian so I'm betting on a hunch, as it were. :-k

dan91

Post by dan91 » Sun, 03 Jul 2022 4:35 pm

JN123 wrote:
Fri, 01 Jul 2022 11:50 pm
I gotten my SC about 5 years ago, so it may not be too relevant now. I don't mind sharing it just for info, but it would probably be better if you were to share your background and get some insights straight from SMS and other fellow forumers.

I submitted my SGC somewhere around 1st half of 2016, just around the 4 year mark of my PR. I would have been in SG for around 6 years back then. If my memory is right, it took me between 6-9 months of waiting time before I gotten my IPA. I was single throughout the whole SC process.

TBH I had a fairly normal profile with a normal job, so after reading through some of the posts here in this forum the only thing I could think of that was in my favour was probably being M'sian Chinese.
Thanks for sharing man. It's rare to find single Msian who convert to SC. Just curious, did u managed to get the Msian Residence Pass (ex-Msian are eligible for it) and maintain/renew it while residing in Singapore?

JN123

Post by JN123 » Mon, 04 Jul 2022 11:54 pm

Thanks SMS and MOCHS for sharing that, wasn't aware of the one-parent at a time thing, hopefully it doesn't have to come to that.
dan91 wrote:
Sun, 03 Jul 2022 4:35 pm

Thanks for sharing man. It's rare to find single Msian who convert to SC. Just curious, did u managed to get the Msian Residence Pass (ex-Msian are eligible for it) and maintain/renew it while residing in Singapore?
I admit it wasn't as common among my own group of friends, but a few of them ended up marrying a SC spouse so I guess it wasn't necessary for them to apply SC for themselves. I did come across a few of my wife's friends who did applied for SC as single applicant, although most of them are female with a SPR husband/bf.

I have not heard of this Msian Residence Pass before, as I was under the impression that once you renounce and more so if non-bumi, you are practically out of reach of any long term pass except for the MM2H which may also no longer be an option going forward. I googled quickly and saw one of the requirement being you need to have an existing long term pass in Msia to begin with, not too sure how do you fulfil this requirement without residing there?

dan91

Post by dan91 » Sat, 09 Jul 2022 1:45 pm

JN123 wrote:
Mon, 04 Jul 2022 11:54 pm
Thanks SMS and MOCHS for sharing that, wasn't aware of the one-parent at a time thing, hopefully it doesn't have to come to that.
dan91 wrote:
Sun, 03 Jul 2022 4:35 pm

I admit it wasn't as common among my own group of friends, but a few of them ended up marrying a SC spouse so I guess it wasn't necessary for them to apply SC for themselves. I did come across a few of my wife's friends who did applied for SC as single applicant, although most of them are female with a SPR husband/bf.

I have not heard of this Msian Residence Pass before, as I was under the impression that once you renounce and more so if non-bumi, you are practically out of reach of any long term pass except for the MM2H which may also no longer be an option going forward. I googled quickly and saw one of the requirement being you need to have an existing long term pass in Msia to begin with, not too sure how do you fulfil this requirement without residing there?
Yeah i'll apply as a single applicant myself but I have only been living in Spore for ~3 years (2 yrs as PR) so not quite optimistic about my chances.

I came across a thread where somebody inquired the immigration department and shared that an existing long-term pass is not required for ex-Msian. Source: https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysi ... st12987630

Maybe u can give it a try and share your experience as i'm also curious what kind of long-term pass option has for ex-Msian :mrgreen: