Singapore Expats

COE prices $100,000

Discuss about COE and how you can make a good decision in buying your next vehicle.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

COE prices $100,000

Post by abbby » Wed, 22 Jun 2022 5:31 pm

Do you think the prices of COE will come down? Looking very high at the moment...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: COE prices $100,000

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Jun 2022 10:59 pm

Not high yet. Still got a long way to go. Based on the $104K of Aug & Sept 1994 COE for the >1600cc cars it would be equal to $137K or $145K for the Dec 1994 COE (with effect 2021 - I've not worked it out based on the current CGI). So still not necessary to sell your Grandmother or firstborn to get that new car. But you can bet your arse there will be those who would if they could.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:51 am

abbby wrote:
Wed, 22 Jun 2022 5:31 pm
Do you think the prices of COE will come down? Looking very high at the moment...
Good God!! $100K?! That’s absolutely insane. I got a shock reading this.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:52 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 22 Jun 2022 10:59 pm
Not high yet. Still got a long way to go. Based on the $104K of Aug & Sept 1994 COE for the >1600cc cars it would be equal to $137K or $145K for the Dec 1994 COE (with effect 2021 - I've not worked it out based on the current CGI). So still not necessary to sell your Grandmother or firstborn to get that new car. But you can bet your arse there will be those who would if they could.
Goodness! Why would it ever have been that much?

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 6:45 am

I was shocked at how much apartment rentals have increased in the US… units that were renting for $600/mo just 5 years ago are now over $1,000/mo.

Everything is going up, and not just a little.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:55 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:52 am
Here is the complete skinny on how & why as close as they could figure it......

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/transp ... 00k-so-far

I got rid of both of my cars within 6 month of the start of the COE system in May 1990. While I've had a couple of cars at my disposal for a couple of years (friend who's condo I oversee who now lives in Darwin) until it had to scrapped and a company car for the last couple of years before I retired. But I've managed okay without a car even when living in the depths of Seletar Air Base and the end of Jalan Kayu. (lived there for 15 years, the last 9 of them after the COE started. And when you consider American love of cars - it is almost a birthright and definitely a rite of passage when you turned 16 and got your own wheels & keys. I think I did pretty well on the transition.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 24 Jun 2022 4:01 am

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 23 Jun 2022 6:45 am
I was shocked at how much apartment rentals have increased in the US… units that were renting for $600/mo just 5 years ago are now over $1,000/mo.

Everything is going up, and not just a little.
Not just rentals, property value has gone up tremendously. My family sold a house in Miami for a little over $400,000 4 years ago, the same house is now worth a little over 600,000 according to Zillow, nothing has changed inside or out.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 24 Jun 2022 4:09 am

Thu, 23 Jun 2022 10:55 pm
Lisafuller wrote:

I got rid of both of my cars within 6 month of the start of the COE system in May 1990. While I've had a couple of cars at my disposal for a couple of years (friend who's condo I oversee who now lives in Darwin) until it had to scrapped and a company car for the last couple of years before I retired. But I've managed okay without a car even when living in the depths of Seletar Air Base and the end of Jalan Kayu. (lived there for 15 years, the last 9 of them after the COE started. And when you consider American love of cars - it is almost a birthright and definitely a rite of passage when you turned 16 and got your own wheels & keys. I think I did pretty well on the transition.
Totally get it, my daughter just got her license a little over a month ago and is now really excited about the prospect of going back to the US because she really wants her own car. There I could see it happening but here we drive a used Hyundai. It’s a nice car, not beat up and not old at all but it’s just too expensive to justify owning anything nicer here. It’s not even about having the means, it just doesn’t make sense when you consider all of the other costs that you have to pay in addition to the cost of the car.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 24 Jun 2022 6:32 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 24 Jun 2022 4:09 am
Lisafuller wrote:

Totally get it, my daughter just got her license a little over a month ago and is now really excited about the prospect of going back to the US because she really wants her own car. There I could see it happening but here we drive a used Hyundai. It’s a nice car, not beat up and not old at all but it’s just too expensive to justify owning anything nicer here. It’s not even about having the means, it just doesn’t make sense when you consider all of the other costs that you have to pay in addition to the cost of the car.
And that is the thing many in Singapore do not understand… having financial means does not equate to being able to enjoy it. Singapore is not a place where you get bang for your buck — and it’s not just expensive, it’s also greatly limited in terms of what you can enjoy.

I’m back in the US at the moment and I’m deep in the woods… surrounded by nature, the only sounds I hear are some birds in the distance. It is like living in a sanctuary. The air is crystal clean, the natural ground water tastes amazing and there’s mature greenery everywhere. You really can’t duplicate this lifestyle for any price in Singapore.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Jun 2022 12:51 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 24 Jun 2022 6:32 am
I’m back in the US at the moment and I’m deep in the woods… surrounded by nature, the only sounds I hear are some birds in the distance. It is like living in a sanctuary. The air is crystal clean, the natural ground water tastes amazing and there’s mature greenery everywhere. You really can’t duplicate this lifestyle for any price in Singapore.
wholelottalikes_zpsdrdfjmpq.jpg

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Sat, 25 Jun 2022 12:45 am

COE for me is a lesson on how the real world works. You don’t get a car bcus you have family or u need it. You get it when u got money.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Jun 2022 4:26 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Sat, 25 Jun 2022 12:45 am
COE for me is a lesson on how the real world works. You don’t get a car bcus you have family or u need it. You get it when u got money.
The difference in places like the US is that the public transport system is not nearly as advanced as it is in Singapore so a lot of times if you don’t have a car you quite literally have no way of getting around. Whereas in Singapore the problem is the converse where we have too many cars and not enough room on the road so they need to price things so high that only those who truly truly are willing to make the financial sacrifice are able to get a car.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 25 Jun 2022 4:27 am

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 24 Jun 2022 6:32 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 24 Jun 2022 4:09 am

And that is the thing many in Singapore do not understand… having financial means does not equate to being able to enjoy it. Singapore is not a place where you get bang for your buck — and it’s not just expensive, it’s also greatly limited in terms of what you can enjoy.

What are you doing back there Mal? And whereabouts are you? Sounds amazing.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 25 Jun 2022 11:00 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 25 Jun 2022 4:26 am
The difference in places like the US is that the public transport system is not nearly as advanced as it is in Singapore so a lot of times if you don’t have a car you quite literally have no way of getting around. Whereas in Singapore the problem is the converse where we have too many cars and not enough room on the road so they need to price things so high that only those who truly truly are willing to make the financial sacrifice are able to get a car.
If Singapore wanted to make car ownership "fair", they'd dump the COE system and go to a simple lottery. They know exactly how many COE's will be issued. A lottery would permit poorer people to buy a car OR sell the COE to someone else willing to pay for it. Time limits could be set for lottery winners... use it or sell it within a specified period of time or lose it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Jun 2022 6:17 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Sat, 25 Jun 2022 11:00 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 25 Jun 2022 4:26 am
If Singapore wanted to make car ownership "fair", they'd dump the COE system and go to a simple lottery. They know exactly how many COE's will be issued. A lottery would permit poorer people to buy a car OR sell the COE to someone else willing to pay for it. Time limits could be set for lottery winners... use it or sell it within a specified period of time or lose it.
Who said anything about making things fair? When has the government ever picked being fair over making money? But also the system you’ve proposed that allows reselling of COE would probably create the same outcome, those who were unsuccessful in the ballot would just have to buy from others and bid prices up to equally crazy high amounts. The only difference is that the people would benefit instead of the government.