Singapore Expats

COE prices $100,000

Discuss about COE and how you can make a good decision in buying your next vehicle.
the observer
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: COE prices $100,000

Post by the observer » Sun, 26 Jun 2022 11:26 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 26 Jun 2022 6:17 am
Myasis Dragon wrote:
Sat, 25 Jun 2022 11:00 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 25 Jun 2022 4:26 am
The difference in places like the US is that the public transport system is not nearly as advanced as it is in Singapore so a lot of times if you don’t have a car you quite literally have no way of getting around. Whereas in Singapore the problem is the converse where we have too many cars and not enough room on the road so they need to price things so high that only those who truly truly are willing to make the financial sacrifice are able to get a car.
If Singapore wanted to make car ownership "fair", they'd dump the COE system and go to a simple lottery. They know exactly how many COE's will be issued. A lottery would permit poorer people to buy a car OR sell the COE to someone else willing to pay for it. Time limits could be set for lottery winners... use it or sell it within a specified period of time or lose it.
Who said anything about making things fair? When has the government ever picked being fair over making money? But also the system you’ve proposed that allows reselling of COE would probably create the same outcome, those who were unsuccessful in the ballot would just have to buy from others and bid prices up to equally crazy high amounts. The only difference is that the people would benefit instead of the government.
It’s an indirect tax on wealth. Unlike the 40-50 % income taxes that the other g10 nations employ.

Nothing is perfect, and anyway you can spin a story that you’re trying to ease congestion and save the environment here.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 26 Jun 2022 11:43 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 25 Jun 2022 4:27 am
malcontent wrote:
Fri, 24 Jun 2022 6:32 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 24 Jun 2022 4:09 am

Totally get it, my daughter just got her license a little over a month ago and is now really excited about the prospect of going back to the US because she really wants her own car. There I could see it happening but here we drive a used Hyundai. It’s a nice car, not beat up and not old at all but it’s just too expensive to justify owning anything nicer here. It’s not even about having the means, it just doesn’t make sense when you consider all of the other costs that you have to pay in addition to the cost of the car.
And that is the thing many in Singapore do not understand… having financial means does not equate to being able to enjoy it. Singapore is not a place where you get bang for your buck — and it’s not just expensive, it’s also greatly limited in terms of what you can enjoy.

I’m back in the US at the moment and I’m deep in the woods… surrounded by nature, the only sounds I hear are some birds in the distance. It is like living in a sanctuary. The air is crystal clean, the natural ground water tastes amazing and there’s mature greenery everywhere. You really can’t duplicate this lifestyle for any price in Singapore.
What are you doing back there Mal? And whereabouts are you? Sounds amazing.
Long overdue trip to my place of birth. I’m from the midwest, and summers are always glorious (winters the opposite). This is the longest I’ve ever been away, 3 full years. Visiting loved ones online is simply not the same as in person.

Being away for so long I’ve already bought more stuff than I can carry back. Although inflation and supply chain issues have had an impact, I still found amazing deals - just had to dig a bit harder and be extra diligent… and patient - - in some cases revisiting the same stores after they got new shipments!

Just today I spent around US$270 and got 5 shirts, 5 shorts, 1 pair of jeans and 1 pair of sneakers… and it’s all good quality, brand name stuff. It took some luck though, most of the items were the last in my size.

Today there were a couple of tourists from India shopping in the same store as I was (Nordstrom Rack) and I overheard them converting the prices to lahks in rupees, my guess is it was dirt cheap compared to the same brand sold in India.

Sorry to venture so far off topic!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:21 pm

the observer wrote:
Sun, 26 Jun 2022 11:26 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 26 Jun 2022 6:17 am
Myasis Dragon wrote:
Sat, 25 Jun 2022 11:00 pm

If Singapore wanted to make car ownership "fair", they'd dump the COE system and go to a simple lottery. They know exactly how many COE's will be issued. A lottery would permit poorer people to buy a car OR sell the COE to someone else willing to pay for it. Time limits could be set for lottery winners... use it or sell it within a specified period of time or lose it.
Who said anything about making things fair? When has the government ever picked being fair over making money? But also the system you’ve proposed that allows reselling of COE would probably create the same outcome, those who were unsuccessful in the ballot would just have to buy from others and bid prices up to equally crazy high amounts. The only difference is that the people would benefit instead of the government.
It’s an indirect tax on wealth. Unlike the 40-50 % income taxes that the other g10 nations employ.

Nothing is perfect, and anyway you can spin a story that you’re trying to ease congestion and save the environment here.
Yep, at the very least I guess it’s a good thing that you can technically exempt yourself from this tax just by choosing to give up the luxury of owning a car. But as far as the congestion argument goes, I certainly see the logic but I don’t believe that their intentions are to alleviate any sort of congestion.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:22 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 26 Jun 2022 11:43 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 25 Jun 2022 4:27 am
malcontent wrote:
Fri, 24 Jun 2022 6:32 am

And that is the thing many in Singapore do not understand… having financial means does not equate to being able to enjoy it. Singapore is not a place where you get bang for your buck — and it’s not just expensive, it’s also greatly limited in terms of what you can enjoy.

I’m back in the US at the moment and I’m deep in the woods… surrounded by nature, the only sounds I hear are some birds in the distance. It is like living in a sanctuary. The air is crystal clean, the natural ground water tastes amazing and there’s mature greenery everywhere. You really can’t duplicate this lifestyle for any price in Singapore.
What are you doing back there Mal? And whereabouts are you? Sounds amazing.
Long overdue trip to my place of birth. I’m from the midwest, and summers are always glorious (winters the opposite). This is the longest I’ve ever been away, 3 full years. Visiting loved ones online is simply not the same as in person.

Being away for so long I’ve already bought more stuff than I can carry back. Although inflation and supply chain issues have had an impact, I still found amazing deals - just had to dig a bit harder and be extra diligent… and patient - - in some cases revisiting the same stores after they got new shipments!

Just today I spent around US$270 and got 5 shirts, 5 shorts, 1 pair of jeans and 1 pair of sneakers… and it’s all good quality, brand name stuff. It took some luck though, most of the items were the last in my size.

Today there were a couple of tourists from India shopping in the same store as I was (Nordstrom Rack) and I overheard them converting the prices to lahks in rupees, my guess is it was dirt cheap compared to the same brand sold in India.

Sorry to venture so far off topic!
Really wish I was you right now! Not sure if they have the same chains where you are, but back in Florida I tend to go to Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, Ross, and TJMaxx for the best deals.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 27 Jun 2022 10:36 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:22 pm
I tend to go to Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, Ross, and TJMaxx for the best deals.
TJMaxx has always been my #1 go-to, but the selection keeps getting less and less. I was just there today to do an exchange and did a quick scan hoping they got new stuff in… couldn’t find a single thing! Marshall’s is almost a clone of TJX, was in there last week and only found one thing I couldn’t pass up — a nice Puma backpack on clearance for $16. My brother recommended Burlington to me. I used to go there when I was a kid. I guess they sell more than coats nowadays? I will check them out.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 28 Jun 2022 2:22 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 27 Jun 2022 10:36 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 26 Jun 2022 10:22 pm
I tend to go to Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, Ross, and TJMaxx for the best deals.
TJMaxx has always been my #1 go-to, but the selection keeps getting less and less. I was just there today to do an exchange and did a quick scan hoping they got new stuff in… couldn’t find a single thing! Marshall’s is almost a clone of TJX, was in there last week and only found one thing I couldn’t pass up — a nice Puma backpack on clearance for $16. My brother recommended Burlington to me. I used to go there when I was a kid. I guess they sell more than coats nowadays? I will check them out.
Have you been to Ross? It’s awesome. The prices there are the absolute best, even better than TJ Maxx. And yes, Burlington sells so much more than just coats. The one I go to in Miami is the size of a Marshalls Ross and TJ’s combined.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 Jun 2022 8:39 am

I was surprised at how poor the offerings were in Target and Walmart last week. There seemed to be a real stock shortage.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 28 Jun 2022 11:50 am

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 28 Jun 2022 8:39 am
I was surprised at how poor the offerings were in Target and Walmart last week. There seemed to be a real stock shortage.
Try another outlet. The ones in the parts of town with a higher population density tend to have more shortages. This was actually advice from my brother who lives here - - and it seems to be true, at least in these parts.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 28 Jun 2022 11:52 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 28 Jun 2022 2:22 am
Have you been to Ross? It’s awesome. The prices there are the absolute best, even better than TJ Maxx. And yes, Burlington sells so much more than just coats. The one I go to in Miami is the size of a Marshalls Ross and TJ’s combined.
I’ve been to Ross before, but they don’t have an outlet nearby here. We do have a big Burlington though, I will check it out!

So far I have had the most success at Nordstrom Rack and the clearance racks at Von Maur.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 29 Jun 2022 1:43 am

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 28 Jun 2022 11:52 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 28 Jun 2022 2:22 am
I’ve been to Ross before, but they don’t have an outlet nearby here. We do have a big Burlington though, I will check it out!

So far I have had the most success at Nordstrom Rack and the clearance racks at Von Maur.
Never heard of Von Maur, what do they have? Personally I’ve never had much luck at Nordstrom rack.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 29 Jun 2022 2:23 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 29 Jun 2022 1:43 am
Never heard of Von Maur, what do they have? Personally I’ve never had much luck at Nordstrom rack.
I’d say Von Maur is a notch above Macy’s, but a notch below Neiman/Nordstrom — importantly they have a wider selection, and a larger clearance rack (which is where you’ll find me).

Nordstrom Rack started out as an in-house TJ Maxx for Nordstrom stuff that didn’t sell in their main stores… but the selection has improved a lot in recent years. Now they even have Nordstrom Rack branded items made specifically for Rack stores.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 30 Jun 2022 4:47 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 29 Jun 2022 2:23 am
Lisafuller wrote:
I’d say Von Maur is a notch above Macy’s, but a notch below Neiman/Nordstrom — importantly they have a wider selection, and a larger clearance rack (which is where you’ll find me).

Nordstrom Rack started out as an in-house TJ Maxx for Nordstrom stuff that didn’t sell in their main stores… but the selection has improved a lot in recent years. Now they even have Nordstrom Rack branded items made specifically for Rack stores.
Your mention of Macy’s reminded me of JCPenney. In the last few times that I’ve been there their prices have dropped significantly, probably has something to do with the fact that they’re going out of business. You’ll probably be able to find quite a few good deals there, my personal favorite was when I managed to get a pancake griddle for $7.49 instead of the original price $49.99. I was practically clicking my heels when I got out of the store!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 30 Jun 2022 9:32 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 30 Jun 2022 4:47 am
malcontent wrote:
Wed, 29 Jun 2022 2:23 am
Lisafuller wrote:

Your mention of Macy’s reminded me of JCPenney. In the last few times that I’ve been there their prices have dropped significantly, probably has something to do with the fact that they’re going out of business. You’ll probably be able to find quite a few good deals there, my personal favorite was when I managed to get a pancake griddle for $7.49 instead of the original price $49.99. I was practically clicking my heels when I got out of the store!
I was actually quite shocked when I went into Macy’s… about 40% of the floor space was unused and the racks they had were slim pickins. I spent about 5 minutes in there and walked out. It’s just sad.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 30 Jun 2022 10:08 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Are you back in the states PNGMK?!?! Whereabouts?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 30 Jun 2022 10:09 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 28 Jun 2022 11:50 am
PNGMK wrote:
Try another outlet. The ones in the parts of town with a higher population density tend to have more shortages. This was actually advice from my brother who lives here - - and it seems to be true, at least in these parts.
You’re exactly right. Denser the population and the more crowded the specific area is, the bigger the store tends to be, but the less they tend to have.