Singapore Expats

Rentals in Singapore

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Rentals in Singapore

Post by abbby » Sun, 19 Jun 2022 5:28 pm

I've been hearing from friends the rental of houses have increased from 30% to 70% Thats an incredible increase in rent...but from what I see, the rents have actually gone down for quite a few years and due to the recent demand for rents, prices are on its' up again. And also inflation, demand, increment in property tax, will make rentals go up even higher..

Are you affected by the recent rental increase?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Search By

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Rentals in Singapore

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 19 Jun 2022 11:18 pm

Not affected personally (luckily I own my home), but have heard about the price surge for rent. Best time to fix a lease would have been during peak covid when everyone was holding on tightly to their finances. Everyone scrambling now has missed the opportunity.

Charlesterry8

Post by Charlesterry8 » Thu, 25 Aug 2022 12:09 pm

abbby wrote:
Sun, 19 Jun 2022 5:28 pm
I've been hearing from friends the rental of houses have increased from 30% to 70% Thats an incredible increase in rent...but from what I see, the rents have actually gone down for quite a few years and due to the recent demand for rents, prices are on its' up again. And also inflation, demand, increment in property tax, will make rentals go up even higher..

Are you affected by the recent rental increase?
Hey Abby,

you can see this latest article about rising rents.
https://www.straitstimes.com/business/p ... mains-firm

It looks rather unpredictable and I hope it doesn't. My rental is due soon and I hope it doesn't rise any higher.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Aug 2022 2:16 pm

You can almost bet on it rising. There is going to be potentially major influx from HK & Taiwan if the two elephants don't stop rattling their sabers in the S. China Sea. The same is going to happens with the COE prices if the bankers and millionaires vacate HK & Taiwan.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Thu, 25 Aug 2022 2:43 pm

2 of my friends in central region and Sentosa confirm rental increase of 40%+

List price of condos also up 15-20% too…let’s wait and see transaction price…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 26 Aug 2022 8:29 am

For me 50% , quite steep, im sucking it up though
Given the fact there are not enough alternatives and supply is short
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Aug 2022 2:47 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Thu, 25 Aug 2022 2:16 pm
You can almost bet on it rising. There is going to be potentially major influx from HK & Taiwan if the two elephants don't stop rattling their sabers in the S. China Sea. The same is going to happens with the COE prices if the bankers and millionaires vacate HK & Taiwan.
Exactly, and now that the economy is recovering from Covid things will only go up.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Aug 2022 2:47 am

BBCDoc wrote:
Thu, 25 Aug 2022 2:43 pm
2 of my friends in central region and Sentosa confirm rental increase of 40%+

List price of condos also up 15-20% too…let’s wait and see transaction price…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
40%?!?!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Aug 2022 2:48 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Fri, 26 Aug 2022 8:29 am
Wow, that is not even steep, it is straight up crazy! Which area are you in?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 28 Aug 2022 5:46 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 28 Aug 2022 2:48 am
Timah
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 28 Aug 2022 8:58 am

I already posted this in PR and Visa forum:

This is just normal inflation jump conditions how it works in SG. Rents remain stable for a long time and then suddenly jump. People who have been here very long, like SMS and Malcontent, will know this. In around 2005-06 condos used to rent for 1.5k whole condos! HDBs were not even available for foreigners to rent. Then they suddenly shot up and I know when I came here in 2009, the old timers were complaining how everything is more expensive. But hey, thats how it works. The lower people in the expat value chain get pushed out and higher people move in.

If you see Hong Kong, it is already much more expensive than Singapore and there is no reason why Singapore should lag behind.

Also it is not like rentals are going up only here. They are going up everywhere. We have just had a pandemic and insane amount of money printing and now crazy inflation in most countries, in the US and Europe close to double digits. Europe is not going to have gas for their winter heating! The whole world is in a major crisis.

So hold on there, this will eventually get solved, like it always does. Salaries will go up along with inflation and we will find an equilibrium and then rents will again be stable for a long time.

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Sun, 28 Aug 2022 2:37 pm

I was lucky to sign a 2Y contract at the end of the last year, and moved in January this year.
When I check the latest transactional rental prices shown for my condo, the increase is maybe +10%. It seems like different areas are affected in a different way?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Aug 2022 9:01 pm

Sun, 28 Aug 2022 5:46 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 28 Aug 2022 2:48 am
Timah
Oh, same here but I own my home so I guess I haven’t really noticed the prices.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Aug 2022 9:01 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Sun, 28 Aug 2022 8:58 am
I already posted this in PR and Visa forum:

This is just normal inflation jump conditions how it works in SG. Rents remain stable for a long time and then suddenly jump. People who have been here very long, like SMS and Malcontent, will know this. In around 2005-06 condos used to rent for 1.5k whole condos! HDBs were not even available for foreigners to rent. Then they suddenly shot up and I know when I came here in 2009, the old timers were complaining how everything is more expensive. But hey, thats how it works. The lower people in the expat value chain get pushed out and higher people move in.

If you see Hong Kong, it is already much more expensive than Singapore and there is no reason why Singapore should lag behind.

Also it is not like rentals are going up only here. They are going up everywhere. We have just had a pandemic and insane amount of money printing and now crazy inflation in most countries, in the US and Europe close to double digits. Europe is not going to have gas for their winter heating! The whole world is in a major crisis.

So hold on there, this will eventually get solved, like it always does. Salaries will go up along with inflation and we will find an equilibrium and then rents will again be stable for a long time.
Can only hope that salaries go up by a proportionate amount!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 28 Aug 2022 9:03 pm

nelyanne wrote:
Sun, 28 Aug 2022 2:37 pm
I was lucky to sign a 2Y contract at the end of the last year, and moved in January this year.
When I check the latest transactional rental prices shown for my condo, the increase is maybe +10%. It seems like different areas are affected in a different way?
Perhaps it’s just demand and supply, the overarching trend is that prices have gone up, as for exactly how much it does depend on the area.