Singapore Expats

Racist behaviour for subletting HDB owned apartments

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
rockstargirl

Racist behaviour for subletting HDB owned apartments

Post by rockstargirl » Wed, 15 Jun 2022 1:33 pm

Observing some odd behavior lately: I was under impression that Singapore Govt. provided citizens to occupy HDB apartments with the goal of providing affordable housing and also was keen on maintaining social harmony. What came to notice was, some of the house-owners downright refusing to sublet due to racial criteria. It makes sense with elderly people who can't understand another language, but this has been quite troublesome for singles who are moving here from another countries. Shouldn't it the norm to provide everyone with convenient and affordable place to stay?

Search By

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Re: Racist behaviour for subletting HDB owned apartments

Post by therat » Wed, 15 Jun 2022 2:40 pm

might be
1. bad pass experience
2. elderly just want a simple rental income, not some culture shock, language handicap, etc. what the layman term mafan aka troublesome.

You've been there for 5 yrs.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 15 Jun 2022 2:46 pm

Welcome to Singapore. As much as there is a lot of racist behavior, you'll also find people who will find justifications, as if the fault lies purely with you and your ethnicity collectively.

So which of the "pariah" ethnicities do you belong to? Indian, Filipino or PRC?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jun 2022 8:06 pm

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 15 Jun 2022 2:46 pm
Welcome to Singapore. As much as there is a lot of racist behavior, you'll also find people who will find justifications, as if the fault lies purely with you and your ethnicity collectively.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rockstargirl

Post by rockstargirl » Thu, 16 Jun 2022 10:33 pm

smoulder wrote:

doesn't matter actually, have seen this trend lately will all kind of people here - i.e. one race will only prefer to stay with same kind etc. Have been in an accommodation with ladies from 4 different nationalities during covid lockdown and found it most ideal setting for me so far. I love being with people from all background and learn about them.

PS: Haha, loved the picture depiction instead of verbal reply SMS.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 19 Jun 2022 11:30 pm

Isn’t there some sort of policy on housing mandating certain ethnic proportions be maintained? Can’t remember the name. Could have to do with that, but still I’m sure there’s some personal agenda involved.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 19 Jun 2022 11:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 15 Jun 2022 8:06 pm
smoulder wrote:

Found it, EIP. “Ethnic Integration Policy (EIP) or HDB ethnic quota, aims to maintain balanced proportions of ethnic groups in HDB estates and to stop racial enclaves from forming. Under the EIP, each HDB block and neighbourhood has a specific quota for each racial group.” Could it be possible that landlords are under orders to maintain the ethnic quota and therefore can only rent to those of a certain ethnic group?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 19 Jun 2022 11:32 pm

therat wrote:
Wed, 15 Jun 2022 2:40 pm
might be
1. bad pass experience
2. elderly just want a simple rental income, not some culture shock, language handicap, etc. what the layman term mafan aka troublesome.

You've been there for 5 yrs.
Even if it was reason 1, doesn’t generalizing the experience make the landlord somewhat of a racist? It’s discriminatory…

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 19 Jun 2022 11:50 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 19 Jun 2022 11:31 pm
smoulder wrote:

Found it, EIP. “Ethnic Integration Policy (EIP) or HDB ethnic quota, aims to maintain balanced proportions of ethnic groups in HDB estates and to stop racial enclaves from forming. Under the EIP, each HDB block and neighbourhood has a specific quota for each racial group.” Could it be possible that landlords are under orders to maintain the ethnic quota and therefore can only rent to those of a certain ethnic group?
It's not hard to just mention this upfront. Most of the time, when it's not mentioned, it's because that never was a factor - just someone who just doesn't want to rent to one of the aforementioned pariah ethnicities. For no reason other than they just don't like them.

therat
Editor
Editor

Post by therat » Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:16 am

https://www.hdb.gov.sg/residential/rent ... ligibility

under Non-Citizen Quota for renting out of Flat

You will have to consider the Non-Citizen Quota for Renting Out of Flat if any tenant renting your flat is a non-Malaysian non-citizen (Singapore Permanent Resident or foreigner). The quota is to help maintain a good ethnic mix in HDB estates. Malaysians are not subject to this quota in view of their close cultural and historical similarities with Singaporeans.

The quota is set at 8% at the neighbourhood level and 11% at the block level, and applicable if any tenant renting the whole flat is a non-Malaysian non-citizen (Singapore Permanent Resident or foreigner) . If the quota is reached, only Singaporeans and Malaysians can rent a flat in that neighbourhood/ block. Note that this quota does not apply to the rental of bedrooms.

===========

This requirement come out after new come out, 1 race almost form a village in a residential area.

therat
Editor
Editor

Post by therat » Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:29 am

This is a long term issue.

2017 news about this.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/02/singapo ... rable.html

I rent my house to PRC, Indian, Japanese, Korean, Malaysian, French.

PRC and Indian is always not my 1st choice of tenant

bad experience
Rent to PRC couple. didnt do basic take care of the house. The toilet bow is yellowish and we even went down to wash for them and tell them to wash. they said Ok ok.. but didnt do
Never mop or sweep the floor, they wear slipper.
And when I do house cleaning, guess what, I found fish bone on the window grill, under the dinning table.

Rent to PRC adult student - always miss the payment. Have to keep on ask and ask. always pay 2 wk late. best part, left the country w/o telling us and even want us to return her deposit. fat hope

Rent to Indian family, as you know.. heavy cooking. That's fine for us. If they maintenance which never did. They did praying in the room. In the end the wall is black.
we buy new pillow and pillow bolster for them. When they return, there are brown stain. We thrown away. Dont know what stain is that.
Lots of story from them.

So.. if you said I'm racist. Racist lor. I will not rent my house to them. I have enough.

the deposit not even enough to cover the cost and the time.
Not worth.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:26 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 19 Jun 2022 11:50 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 19 Jun 2022 11:31 pm

It's not hard to just mention this upfront. Most of the time, when it's not mentioned, it's because that never was a factor - just someone who just doesn't want to rent to one of the aforementioned pariah ethnicities. For no reason other than they just don't like them.
You’re spot on. The thing is though, openly discriminating against certain ethnicities would not go down well (for obvious reasons) which is why I believe most don’t. Nobody wants to be labeled a racist, even if they are.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:28 pm

therat wrote:
Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:16 am

You will have to consider the Non-Citizen Quota for Renting Out of Flat if any tenant renting your flat is a non-Malaysian non-citizen (Singapore Permanent Resident or foreigner). The quota is to help maintain a good ethnic mix in HDB estates. Malaysians are not subject to this quota in view of their close cultural and historical similarities with Singaporeans.

The quota is set at 8% at the neighbourhood level and 11% at the block level, and applicable if any tenant renting the whole flat is a non-Malaysian non-citizen (Singapore Permanent Resident or foreigner) . If the quota is reached, only Singaporeans and Malaysians can rent a flat in that neighbourhood/ block. Note that this quota does not apply to the rental of bedrooms.

===========

This requirement come out after new come out, 1 race almost form a village in a residential area.
8 or 11% doesn’t seem like very much, so it would probably be fair to say that while there are a few renting with these quotas in mind, most are probably just cherry picking their preferred race. Although I do believe most renters are foreigners so chances are it may be inevitable to have to turn down a larger number of foreign renters.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 20 Jun 2022 11:31 pm

therat wrote:
Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:29 am
This is a long term issue.

2017 news about this.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/02/singapo ... rable.html

I rent my house to PRC, Indian, Japanese, Korean, Malaysian, French.

PRC and Indian is always not my 1st choice of tenant

bad experience
Rent to PRC couple. didnt do basic take care of the house. The toilet bow is yellowish and we even went down to wash for them and tell them to wash. they said Ok ok.. but didnt do
Never mop or sweep the floor, they wear slipper.
And when I do house cleaning, guess what, I found fish bone on the window grill, under the dinning table.

Rent to PRC adult student - always miss the payment. Have to keep on ask and ask. always pay 2 wk late. best part, left the country w/o telling us and even want us to return her deposit. fat hope

Rent to Indian family, as you know.. heavy cooking. That's fine for us. If they maintenance which never did. They did praying in the room. In the end the wall is black.
we buy new pillow and pillow bolster for them. When they return, there are brown stain. We thrown away. Dont know what stain is that.
Lots of story from them.

So.. if you said I'm racist. Racist lor. I will not rent my house to them. I have enough.

the deposit not even enough to cover the cost and the time.
Not worth.
Totally fair. In my experience PRCs (at first look) are not ideal tenants in the eyes of many landlords, which is why things like tenant profile come into play in deciding whether or not to rent. In my condo we had a couple units rented to PRCs, one to a couple and the other to a group of teenage students. Didn’t have very many problems from the former but the latter would drink every night and make loads of noise. Would never clear their beer cans either, so the complaints piled up like hell.

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Wed, 29 Jun 2022 1:45 pm

therat wrote:
Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:16 am

===========

Does not it apply only to a scenario when you rent out the whole flat? So it's meaningless if you rent out only a room?