Singapore Expats

Apply EP while PEP is in review?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
lylyng

Apply EP while PEP is in review?

Post by lylyng » Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:36 am

Hi,

I would love to seek for your advice on my case. I am currently waiting for my PEP results (submitted on May 26). As it might take 8 weeks, I wont know for sure till the next 2 months. However, my EP with the current company will be cancelled next week and the new employer would like to proceed for the new EP.

1. Is there any problem with the PEP if my current EP got cancelled?
2. Can my new employer go ahead to apply EP while my PEP is in review?

Withdrawing a PEP application seems to take ~3 weeks so just want to secure my chance. Thank you very much!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Apply EP while PEP is in review?

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:37 am

lylyng wrote:
Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:36 am
Hi,

I would love to seek for your advice on my case. I am currently waiting for my PEP results (submitted on May 26). As it might take 8 weeks, I wont know for sure till the next 2 months. However, my EP with the current company will be cancelled next week and the new employer would like to proceed for the new EP.

Withdrawing a PEP application seems to take ~3 weeks so just want to secure my chance. Thank you very much!
Is the new employer not going to apply for EP already? Why is he waiting for the current EP to be cancelled?

1. Mostly should be OK
2. Yes

lylyng

Post by lylyng » Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:45 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:37 am
lylyng wrote:
Hi,

Is the new employer not going to apply for EP already? Why is he waiting for the current EP to be cancelled?

1. Mostly should be OK
2. Yes
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your super quick response. I wanted some break time in between so negotiating a shorter notice of 2 weeks and the new employer is applying through a 3rd party vendor so they just finalize it now. Is there a problem if PEP and EP are both approved and I only issue one of them? I also plan to reapply my PR so just want to minimize the risk.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:55 am

lylyng wrote:
Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:45 am
singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:37 am
lylyng wrote:
Hi,

1. Mostly should be OK
2. Yes
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your super quick response. I wanted some break time in between so negotiating a shorter notice of 2 weeks and the new employer is applying through a 3rd party vendor so they just finalize it now. Is there a problem if PEP and EP are both approved and I only issue one of them? I also plan to reapply my PR so just want to minimize the risk.
No issue if both EP and PEP are approved.

Don't think you will be able to get PR so quickly.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:21 am

If both the EP and PEP are approved (this can only happen if the EP is approved first). When the PEP is approved, it will take precedence over the EP and will effectively cancel the EP when the PEP is issued. You don't have any choice other than refusing to finalize the PEP, at which time the EP will remain in force. However if the PEP is granted first, the EP application will automatically be canceled.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:21 am
If both the EP and PEP are approved (this can only happen if the EP is approved first). When the PEP is approved, it will take precedence over the EP and will effectively cancel the EP when the PEP is issued. You don't have any choice other than refusing to finalize the PEP, at which time the EP will remain in force. However if the PEP is granted first, the EP application will automatically be canceled.
SMS, I was thinking both can be APPROVED. The moment PEP is ISSUED, the existing EP - will become CANCELLED.

Please clarify.

lylyng

Post by lylyng » Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:40 am

This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Let's say if my EP got approved on Jun 10th, the PEP results is expected to come on Jun 20th. Then there is not enough time for me to cancel the PEP application as well (because it takes 3 weeks). So the higher chance is PEP will take effect and cancel the EP application.

Is my understanding correct?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:44 am

lylyng wrote:
Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:40 am

Let's say if my EP got approved on Jun 10th, the PEP results is expected to come on Jun 20th. Then there is not enough time for me to cancel the PEP application as well (because it takes 3 weeks). So the higher chance is PEP will take effect and cancel the EP application.

In my view both EP and PEP can be approved in any order. Reason is i can still be on EP for 3 months and then use my PEP later.

Only thing is if PEP is ISSUED first, the EP that was approved may become VOID/Cancelled.

lylyng

Post by lylyng » Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:52 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:44 am
lylyng wrote:
Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:40 am

In my view both EP and PEP can be approved in any order. Reason is i can still be on EP for 3 months and then use my PEP later.

Only thing is if PEP is ISSUED first, the EP that was approved may become VOID/Cancelled.
Thank you Singaporeflyer. If it is about issuing after IPA then at least I have my choice to make. Hope to hear SMS' thoughts too. You two are both super helpful!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:04 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Mon, 13 Jun 2022 11:26 am
SMS, I was thinking both can be APPROVED. The moment PEP is ISSUED, the existing EP - will become CANCELLED.

Please clarify.
Exactly.

Wrong choice of words on my part. I don't think you can hold an IPA for both at the same time. That is why we usually admonish about applying for another company if already holding an IPA - e.g., unfinalized but 'in principle' approved. It tends to throw a spanner in the works if and when it is issued. IF the EP is issued, then it's not a problem. The PEP will automatically cancel the EP. The problem is when they apply for both and the EP has been IPA'd (not yet issued) and the PEP is also applied for at the same time or vice versa. This is when the gridlock seems to happen. It's best to wait until the EP has been issued before applying for the PEP as once submitted we as applicants have no sway on how/when it is processed.

The problem in this case is he has already applied for the PEP and is trying to change companies at the same time. If the PEP is IPA'd AND issued before the new Company's EP application is submitted there would be no issue - the EP application would probably bounce or require clarification re: PEP. I don't know the time lag between their internal IPA approval and the individual's notification (somewhere between 3 & 5 workdays). If the timing is wrong, the new company may get a bounce on the application even though the applicant hasn't been notified or received the PEP IPA notice. I guess it is a gamble that gamblers like to take. So some you win, some you lose. He's just going to have to take is chances, knowing if it doesn't work he's going to be up the creek without a paddle. In years gone by we've seen these glitches due to multiple submissions with outstanding IPAs take up to 6 weeks to get sorted out but often the new/potential employer cannot/will not wait that long. It is what it is.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:42 pm

As an add on, Applying for PR can be done concurrently with no issue as the PEP & EP is a function of the Ministry of Manpower while PR is a function of Immigrantion & Nationalization Service. Two entirely different ministries.

haileywoo

Post by haileywoo » Tue, 05 Jul 2022 11:52 am

Hi,

Can I check with you on the latest update of your PEP? Did you go ahead and have your new employer apply for EP while the PEP is in review? I'm facing exactly the same issue now and appreciate your advice.
lylyng wrote:
Hi,

JSM2018

Post by JSM2018 » Sun, 18 Jun 2023 5:52 pm

Hi,
I request your suggestions on my situation.
EP cancelled and I am on STVP, currently going through interviews.I have time in SG till Aug. end.
I am also thinking of applying for PEP.

1. If PEP IPA is issued before I get a new job, and new employer applies for EP- is it risky? Would they need to wait for PEP cancellation so that EP application can go smoothly?

2. Will PEP IPA (without PEP card issuance) be counted the 1 chance that we get and will it be a bigger hassle to withdraw PEP?

3. Or should I just take the risk and wait till offer letter+ EP application goes (hopefully in next 5-10 days- and only then apply for PEP?

Right now I only have 8-9 weeks in SG and according to MOM PEP takes 8 weeks.