Singapore Expats

Employment Pass - Medical checkup & Drug test??

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
newexpat4

Employment Pass - Medical checkup & Drug test??

Post by newexpat4 » Sun, 05 Jun 2022 8:00 pm

Hello all,
Recently got a job offer for a really great opportunity in Singapore and the company is in the process of obtaining an EP visa. I have an expected start date of early August.
I currently live in a country where cannabis is legal.
Of course, we all know Singapore's laws when it comes to drugs and am detoxing right now, but I did want to find out whether a urine test is a mandatory part of the medical checkup process for an EP. I know some clinics include it, but are there instances that don't require one? Could I do my medical tests abroad first, and bring documentation with me in lieu of doing one in Sg?
Want to reduce as much risk as possible of a potential negative outcome.
Would also like to know whether it's fairly common for MNCs to drug test in SG as well if anyone has any intel.
Thanks and looking forward to joining you all in SG!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Employment Pass - Medical checkup & Drug test??

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 Jun 2022 9:32 pm

You best make damned sure you are clean. They can and do require one if they suspect you may be a user, casual or otherwise. While you might come from a country where it is legal, if any is found in your system when you arrive it is enough to put you behind bars for quite a while if you get off lucky. Don't try to play-play with this. If you do, you will lose for sure and maybe a lot more than you think. I reckon if you come from a county where it is legal, you will be tested for sure.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

newexpat4

Post by newexpat4 » Mon, 06 Jun 2022 9:50 am

Yes I understand the severity, hence my attempt to try and reduce my risk down to 0. Obviously I've already started detoxing but I'd still rather not chance anything. It says on official website that I can bring my own medical test results with me from another country provided they are done within appropriate time, anyone with experience doing that rather than doing their medical check up in Singapore?

And a followup to your warning: do they arrest non-Singaporeans/non-PR's if drug test comes back positive... or do they deport instead?

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Mon, 06 Jun 2022 11:17 am

Since it is from the nation's favorite birdcage liner, I can't post a direct link here but of your Google the text you can find the link for an article posted in 2015:

"SINGAPORE - A tertiary student was jailed for six months on Tuesday (Oct 13) for taking drugs in Amsterdam and for possessing cannabis at his home...

"...His urine samples were found to contain drugs.

Investigations showed that he had last smoked weed in Amsterdam on May 26 while on holiday there. He admitted smoking it every day for four days there.

He returned to Singapore on May 27 and was arrested two days later."

Whatever about getting your medical tests done abroad, Singapore does reserve the right to randomly test arrival. While the chances of being tested are probably fairly small, it would still be better to err on the side of caution.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Jun 2022 12:14 pm

newexpat4 wrote:
Mon, 06 Jun 2022 9:50 am
Yes I understand the severity, hence my attempt to try and reduce my risk down to 0. Obviously I've already started detoxing but I'd still rather not chance anything. It says on official website that I can bring my own medical test results with me from another country provided they are done within appropriate time, anyone with experience doing that rather than doing their medical check up in Singapore?

And a followup to your warning: do they arrest non-Singaporeans/non-PR's if drug test comes back positive... or do they deport instead?
Additionally, as 'dude mentioned they also reserve the right to randomly test. I reckon if one supplies their own test results even within a given time frame, it will generate sufficient interest to "randomly" test those individuals as they are generally the ones to try to play the system thinking nevermind, a spiff in the toilet at the airport before I depart wont matter because I already have a clean medical test. Don't count on it. Singapore doesn't trust anybody or any country and when it comes to drugs they are especially hard. If you come with a test in hand you are telling them that you are a heavy or regular user so they are going to think the worst. Just sayin' [-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Jun 2022 12:16 pm

In answer to your arrest/deportation, If you aren't carrying, you will get time in jail and then deported after your release.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 06 Jun 2022 4:15 pm

newexpat4 wrote:
Sun, 05 Jun 2022 8:00 pm
Hello all,
Recently got a job offer for a really great opportunity in Singapore and the company is in the process of obtaining an EP visa. I have an expected start date of early August.
I currently live in a country where cannabis is legal.
Of course, we all know Singapore's laws when it comes to drugs and am detoxing right now, but I did want to find out whether a urine test is a mandatory part of the medical checkup process for an EP. I know some clinics include it, but are there instances that don't require one? Could I do my medical tests abroad first, and bring documentation with me in lieu of doing one in Sg?
Want to reduce as much risk as possible of a potential negative outcome.
Would also like to know whether it's fairly common for MNCs to drug test in SG as well if anyone has any intel.
Thanks and looking forward to joining you all in SG!
You should have sufficient time to have THC disappeared from your body. But better cut your hair short before arriving. Nope, not a jail suggestion :) THC can be detected in hair even after 3 months.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 06 Jun 2022 10:01 pm

I wouldn't sweat it very much. Look, if you show up at the airport, looking like a hair tree with glassy eyes, torn jeans, and a tie dye t-shirt, you might attract some attention. Happened to the son of a friend of mine a couple of decades ago. Arrived from LA, still stoned from the edibles he had managed to consume on the way over. He was given a blood test upon arrival, they detected THC, and he was put on the next plane back to LA. First his father heard about it was when he got a call from his son back in LA.

Bottom line: If you fly over straight, and wearing business casual, you are not going to be hassled anywhere coming over. It's unlikely you'll need to do a piss test, and even if you do, if you haven't been imbibing lately, lots of liquids and dilute urine always helps. The detection of THC and its metabolites depends on a number of factors. Depending upon how heavy a user you are and how long you used consistently, metabolites build up in fat and take time to be expelled from the body. Drink lots of liquids.

As for MNC's in SG, I can't answer that. I will say that drug tests are rather perfunctory, piss in a cup type tests. Companies do it more for the show to others than actually giving a shit about marijuana these days.

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Wed, 22 Jun 2022 12:23 pm

Health checks are not mandatory for all EP holders, only for some of them. There's a higher chance you need a checkup if your job requires you to do some work on the ground, outside the office

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 22 Jun 2022 2:17 pm

^ Senior members, care to verify if that is true or not?

I’m a citizen and always had to go for medical check ups whenever I changed jobs.

I was under the impression that all long term pass holders (EP, S pass, DP, LTVP, student pass, etc) have to clear medical (TB & HIV) before they got their pass.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Wed, 22 Jun 2022 5:02 pm

quote from https://mediwaymedical.com/medical-exam ... ikQAvD_BwE

Information You Need To Know About Statutory Medical Examinations By MOM, ICA & LTA

All ICA and MOM’s work pass or renewal pass applicants who have been granted the in-principle approval (IPA) will be informed and given a copy of the medical examination form which requires them to undergo a medical examination in Singapore, which normally includes blood tests to check for HIV/Syphilis/Malaria Parasite, a Chest X-Ray to check for Tuberculosis, Urine tests to check for pregnancy & sugar levels and finally a medical exam by a doctor to check if they are physically and mentally fit to work.

Only with a completed medical check up report that can be easily done at our ICA medical check up clinics, applicants will be able to submit the application to the Work Pass Division of MOM or Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) with the in-principle approval letter. Applicants who are found to have infectious diseases will not be granted any work permit, employment pass, long-term social visit pass or permanent residence in Singapore.

At Mediway Medical & X-Ray Centre you are also able to get your MOM medical check up done as per the requirement set by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) when you apply for the Taxi Driver’s Vocational License (TDVL) or the Private Hire Car Driver’s Vocational License (PDVL). PDVL medical check up includes a chest x-ray and physical examination by our qualified medical practitioners.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:57 am

newexpat4 wrote:

When you are on these shores, it doesn’t matter where you came from. They will use you as an example for others.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:59 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 06 Jun 2022 12:16 pm
In answer to your arrest/deportation, If you aren't carrying, you will get time in jail and then deported after your release.
You forgot to mention that if you are carrying, chances are you’re dead.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 3:59 am

newexpat4 wrote:

The laws are very simple. Don’t try to find loopholes or to play them like a game, it’s not worth it and it won’t work.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 23 Jun 2022 4:01 am

Addadude wrote:
Mon, 06 Jun 2022 11:17 am
Since it is from the nation's favorite birdcage liner, I can't post a direct link here but of your Google the text you can find the link for an article posted in 2015:

"SINGAPORE - A tertiary student was jailed for six months on Tuesday (Oct 13) for taking drugs in Amsterdam and for possessing cannabis at his home...

"...His urine samples were found to contain drugs.

Investigations showed that he had last smoked weed in Amsterdam on May 26 while on holiday there. He admitted smoking it every day for four days there.

He returned to Singapore on May 27 and was arrested two days later."

Whatever about getting your medical tests done abroad, Singapore does reserve the right to randomly test arrival. While the chances of being tested are probably fairly small, it would still be better to err on the side of caution.
The last line is what’s especially good advice. The end of the day you can debate all you want to try as many funny tricks to make sure you can still get your fix but you better be safe because otherwise you’re dead.