Singapore Expats

Pr approval chances 2022. Please help.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Pfr346

Pr approval chances 2022. Please help.

Post by Pfr346 » Thu, 02 Jun 2022 12:22 am

Dear all,

What are my chances of getting approval.

We are young British born Chinese family in early 30s with 2 young kids, one boy, one girl. Working as a doctor, not on fixed salary but average 15k a month. Wife not working, but is a registered nurse who may work in future. We want to apply straight away, only been here 6 months. I have 6 months of paychecks. Any advice?

John

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Re: Pr approval chances 2022. Please help.

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 02 Jun 2022 11:23 am

Pros: Race, salary, occupation

Cons: Too short stay in SG and hard to determine if you really want to sink roots here permanently. The senior members of the forum recommend applying after having 2-3 income tax assessments aka after 2-3 years. You are aware if you get PR, your son has to serve NS?

If you don’t mind treating the application fee as a donation and lower your expectations that you might get a rejection on the first attempt, feel free to apply after 6 months of payslip…

gold.spot
Regular
Regular
Answers: 1

Post by gold.spot » Thu, 02 Jun 2022 12:28 pm

Not unprecedented, but it's a longshot.

Now that said, if it really permanent residency you're looking for, then why the hurry? I can surmise it's probably because of high school fees?

Pfr346

Post by Pfr346 » Thu, 02 Jun 2022 4:12 pm

Yes indeed you are correct. As a foreigner, very difficult to get into local schools and much higher fees especially International School.

Another point is difficult/ troublesome changing jobs when on ep and dp.

I take your points on, I will have greater chance after 2 or 3 years. Just wanted to see if any point trying my luck.

Another point, I don't know if positive or negative, I used to work in Singapore for 2 years but left for a few years before coming back. Will that have any impact on my application?

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 02 Jun 2022 5:36 pm

Did you apply for PR when you were previously working in SG? If no, should have no effect. If yes, they will just have your previous application on record and refer to it to see if there were any changes, perhaps?

Do take note the moment you leave SG for a long while, the time you spend in SG will be reset back to zero. They want to see continuous stay/employment in SG.

Pfr346

Post by Pfr346 » Thu, 02 Jun 2022 9:06 pm

No, the last time I was here I didn't apply for pr. Oh really, so the last time I was working in Singapore won't have any positive/negative impact on my application.

Sure I understand NS will be compulsory for second generation pr males.

Do you think it's worth applying. Would you give me more than 50% chance of approval?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Jun 2022 11:06 pm

I'd give you 50:50 because you are an MD and you are Chinese. A plus would be if you are a BBC but still can speak any of the Chinese Dialects. I have to agree with MOCHS assessment. But I think it's a gamble I'd take. But if rejected be prepared to wait 2 years after the rejection to be on the safe side. I personally think PR will not be an issue, only when.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Pfr346

Post by Pfr346 » Thu, 02 Jun 2022 11:44 pm

Thanks for your opinion.

Yes I can speak some Mandarin n Cantonese but how can i prove that in my application? haha. Along with proving I'm willing to sink roots permanently.

I can write a cover letter explaining, but might be hard to convince them with no evidence.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Jun 2022 2:14 am

You probably wouldn't need to prove it in your application. It would probably show up in your everyday life to some extent with your patients. They do not make their decisions strictly from the P.O.V. from a desk. Often time they might call your employer just casually inquire about things. They don't do this as a matter of course, but given you have a needed occupational skillset and you have the preferred ethnic background, they might, knowing that your are a BBC, and knowing your education was probably good to boot. Again, your previous employment here should be able to be checked out and even then, if you are remembered they might be able to confirm if you actively used your ethnic language skills. I haven't seen a PR application for a number of years now since I've retired, but there should be a way to put language skills down without elaborating more than just noting the language. Again, they probably will assume you do anyway.

As far as proving your intent to stay here, that is one of the reasons for the two years, anecdotally speaking, that one normally has to bide their time before making an application too early. From
ICA's point of view, 6 months is not long enough to figure out if you really want to stay. This especially from looking at your history. You left once already......

But all things considered I still think it might be worth the gamble.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by NYY1 » Fri, 03 Jun 2022 9:12 am

How old are your kids? Are you trying to obtain the status before the P1 Registration Process where PR can register in Phase 2C or 2CS vs. international student in Phase 3 where places are not guaranteed (i.e. do you have time to wait before this process starts)? Or, are they already of school age and you are trying to switch them from int'l school to local school via AEIS?

Pfr346

Post by Pfr346 » Fri, 03 Jun 2022 1:08 pm

Yes indeed I'm trying to obtain the status before the P1 registration process if I can. That should give a better chance of a local primary school place?

That may be a problem since I don't normally use any Chinese dialect at work, so my employer won't be able to help me there haha.

Ah I see, so there will be active checks from ICA like contacting my employer etc. I wonder what other checks they will do.

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by NYY1 » Fri, 03 Jun 2022 2:01 pm

Pfr346 wrote:
Fri, 03 Jun 2022 1:08 pm
Yes indeed I'm trying to obtain the status before the P1 registration process if I can. That should give a better chance of a local primary school place?

That may be a problem since I don't normally use any Chinese dialect at work, so my employer won't be able to help me there haha.

Ah I see, so there will be active checks from ICA like contacting my employer etc. I wonder what other checks they will do.
If your child is a PR, he/she will be given a spot in a school (somewhere) via the P1 registration process. If your child is still an international student (foreigner), you can try

a) P1 Registration Phase 3 (spots not guaranteed) or
https://www.moe.gov.sg/primary/p1-regis ... l-students

b) AEIS Test the following year (for start in P2)
https://www.moe.gov.sg/international-students

So can you wait another 1.5 years before applying and then assume an additional 0.5 - 1.0 years review period (prior to potential approval) before you need to register a kid for P1 (summer of the year they turn 6 years old)? I.e. 2.0 - 2.5 years from today.

Or, if you apply now and are rejected in 0.5 - 1.0 year then the (standard) process per others here would be wait 2 years to reapply, and wait another 0.5 - 1.0 years review period. I.e. 3-4 years from today.

lsuiug

Post by lsuiug » Fri, 06 Jan 2023 3:29 pm

Hi, what are the chances of getting approved and if I appeal, what are the chances. Female, 19 Y/O, went through Sg primary and secondary school (completed NA only) and currently gg to private school (though wasn’t attending when applying for PR) and working as general admin ~2k/month. Viet and on LTVP. Mother is PR as she remarried a Singaporean after moving to Sg

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 11 Jan 2023 1:20 pm

Pfr346 wrote:
Thu, 02 Jun 2022 12:22 am
What are my chances of getting approval.

We are young British born Chinese family in early 30s with 2 young kids, one boy, one girl. Working as a doctor, not on fixed salary but average 15k a month.
fwiw, ur chances may depend on whether u r employed by mohh or private org, and ur reg status.

if u have been poached by a govt org (not mohh) then you would need to talk to the guys you know to help your application.

(ica also knows many FTs want to enrol their children into local schools)

but i wouldn’t hold my breath based on ur profile. 12 months under ur belt… what’s the situation like?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 11 Jan 2023 3:06 pm

lsuiug wrote:
Fri, 06 Jan 2023 3:29 pm
Hi, what are the chances of getting approved and if I appeal, what are the chances. Female, 19 Y/O, went through Sg primary and secondary school (completed NA only) and currently gg to private school (though wasn’t attending when applying for PR) and working as general admin ~2k/month. Viet and on LTVP. Mother is PR as she remarried a Singaporean after moving to Sg
hoho! i dont think u r gonna get it.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam