Singapore Expats

NS liability for Spouse Sponsorship PR

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
alicia.tay

NS liability for Spouse Sponsorship PR

Post by alicia.tay » Tue, 31 May 2022 11:42 am

I am a sc and sponsored my husband who is malaysian to become PR. He is 32yr this year and we have a 3yr daughter. He is currently on LTVP with LOC to work and have been working in singapore for more than 1yr but does not have S pass / E pass or work permit. We recieved our IPA already but not sure whether to proceed with formalities if he needs to do NS. So what we really need to know is:

1. Does he need to serve ns?
2. Can we appeal to be exempted if he gets called to serve?

Thanks!

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Re: NS liability for Spouse Sponsorship PR

Post by MOCHS » Tue, 31 May 2022 1:54 pm

You can search “Spouse PR NS” in the search bar for answers:
viewtopic.php?t=119045
viewtopic.php?t=111076

1. Yes, if got PR via spouse sponsorship, he is liable to serve.
2. Refer to the answers in the threads I posted. He must register with MINDEF and MINDEF (usually) gives a waiver. Policy can change any time though.

abai.travz

Post by abai.travz » Thu, 17 Nov 2022 12:11 am

Hi alicia, does your husband called up to serve NS?

Because we almost got the same situation but for mine is that I just receive my IPA Im the main PR applicant under PTS and then I sponsor my husband. When I received the IPA they got put in my IPA “My husband may be liable for NS” so I just wanted to know if they will really ask my husband to do NS? currently his 36 years old..

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 17 Nov 2022 12:27 am

abai.travz wrote:
Thu, 17 Nov 2022 12:11 am
Hi alicia, does your husband called up to serve NS?

Because we almost got the same situation but for mine is that I just receive my IPA Im the main PR applicant under PTS and then I sponsor my husband. When I received the IPA they got put in my IPA “My husband may be liable for NS” so I just wanted to know if they will really ask my husband to do NS? currently his 36 years old..
99% will be exempted mainly because of age.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 17 Nov 2022 6:57 am

My husband got PR this year via FTS, he is in his early 30s, and got the letter of exemption a few weeks after formalities. Majority of the time it is exemption.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 17 Nov 2022 10:50 pm

100% of the time you will be exempted if first generation. It's the 2nd generation (boys in families who apply to become PR) who become liable.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Nov 2022 11:11 pm

As I have stated umpteen times here over the last 18 years, if you get your PR via PTS, you are, for all intents and purposes, exempt from NS (but your male children who get Sponsored PR by the PTS PR will be automatically required to do NS. If you do not apply for their PR (male children). You may find your own REP in danger of not being renewed as you will be seen as trying to evade a male child's NS duties.

However, if you gain your PR via Family Ties, then the law provides for NS required but if you are over the age of say 25~28 years of age when you get FT PR you will generally be granted a waiver. I've never heard of anybody over the age of 30 being required to do NS. But the provision is there in case they need it. Male children gain PR from a FT PR will be required to do NS.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Nov 2022 11:38 pm

viewtopic.php?p=280378#p280378
viewtopic.php?p=92863#p92863
viewtopic.php?p=162535#p162535
viewtopic.php?p=415459#p415459A

and the list goes on using the search engine for this site at the upper right side of the page.
"National Service" + "Permanent Resident"
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers