17 year old girl dies in Clementi

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
Lisafuller
Director
Director
Posts: 3177
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

17 year old girl dies in Clementi

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 25 May 2022 1:24 am

Saw a number of pretty disturbing videos of police cleaning up an awning outside clementi mall yesterday. Apparently the poor girl jumped due to school stress. What is happening in this country and how can the MOE not be doing anything about it?? Rest In Peace to the girl, painful to know she’ll never have a family, a job, or just see how her life turns out.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39416
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: 17 year old girl dies in Clementi

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 May 2022 8:35 pm

It's been relatively stable for a while, but the numbers are larger for the teenaged boys. If you want some interesting further reading....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3366604/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
malcontent
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1436
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Answers: 1
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: 17 year old girl dies in Clementi

Post by malcontent » Wed, 25 May 2022 9:26 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 1:24 am
Saw a number of pretty disturbing videos of police cleaning up an awning outside clementi mall yesterday. Apparently the poor girl jumped due to school stress. What is happening in this country and how can the MOE not be doing anything about it?? Rest In Peace to the girl, painful to know she’ll never have a family, a job, or just see how her life turns out.
That is heartbreaking. I still remember when my daughter collected her PSLE results a little over 4 years ago. I was expecting in this modern age that she would be able to get her results online. I have to admit, I wasn’t prepared for the spectacle that was put on. The principals had to “hand carry” the paper results back to the school and students had to join this big hoo-ha and come up one by one to collect their paper. A tinderbox of emotions were on raw display, ranging from tears of ecstatic jubilation to tears of crushing devastation. For me it was a surreal. One thing I’ve always taught my daughter is that no matter what, as long as you do your best, it doesn’t matter what grade you get. I also told her not to worry, she is bound for the US and will do just fine regardless of how she does here. I am living proof of that, I probably would have been voted among the least likely to succeed based on my HS results. I did not care then, and still don’t. I did just fine, and I knew I would.
It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters ~ Epictetus

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8584
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Sinkapore

Re: 17 year old girl dies in Clementi

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 25 May 2022 10:16 pm

My son tells me that suicides have picked up a bit since the Covid restrictions were lifted. He doesn't know what is driving it.

One thing that gives me the shits about suicides is that it's young men like my son who have to deal with the mess left behind.

This might surprise you but with that 17 yo girl the Singapore SCDF protocol requires them to put ECG pads on her broken body to make sure she's dead.....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39416
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: 17 year old girl dies in Clementi

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 May 2022 10:44 pm

Wars tend to do the same thing. It's no easier when your platoon takes a direct hit by mortar fire. He is in NS, correct? It all sucks. I went over as an 18 year old kid and came back an old man.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8584
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Sinkapore

Re: 17 year old girl dies in Clementi

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 25 May 2022 10:55 pm

Yes. NS.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Director
Director
Posts: 3177
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: 17 year old girl dies in Clementi

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 May 2022 4:09 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 8:35 pm
It's been relatively stable for a while, but the numbers are larger for the teenaged boys. If you want some interesting further reading....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3366604/
It has been pretty stable, my daughters alma mater has had 3-5 cases yearly but not a single one yet this year. Hope it stays that way. This case, however, is heartbreaking.

Lisafuller
Director
Director
Posts: 3177
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: 17 year old girl dies in Clementi

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 May 2022 4:10 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 9:26 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 1:24 am
Saw a number of pretty disturbing videos of police cleaning up an awning outside clementi mall yesterday. Apparently the poor girl jumped due to school stress. What is happening in this country and how can the MOE not be doing anything about it?? Rest In Peace to the girl, painful to know she’ll never have a family, a job, or just see how her life turns out.
That is heartbreaking. I still remember when my daughter collected her PSLE results a little over 4 years ago. I was expecting in this modern age that she would be able to get her results online. I have to admit, I wasn’t prepared for the spectacle that was put on. The principals had to “hand carry” the paper results back to the school and students had to join this big hoo-ha and come up one by one to collect their paper. A tinderbox of emotions were on raw display, ranging from tears of ecstatic jubilation to tears of crushing devastation. For me it was a surreal. One thing I’ve always taught my daughter is that no matter what, as long as you do your best, it doesn’t matter what grade you get. I also told her not to worry, she is bound for the US and will do just fine regardless of how she does here. I am living proof of that, I probably would have been voted among the least likely to succeed based on my HS results. I did not care then, and still don’t. I did just fine, and I knew I would.
That’s the right attitude, Mal. I’ve always been the same with my daughter, even though she puts plenty of pressure on herself to succeed I’ve always said none of it matters to me as long as she does her best and stays true to her values.

Lisafuller
Director
Director
Posts: 3177
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: 17 year old girl dies in Clementi

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 May 2022 4:12 am

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 10:16 pm
My son tells me that suicides have picked up a bit since the Covid restrictions were lifted. He doesn't know what is driving it.

One thing that gives me the shits about suicides is that it's young men like my son who have to deal with the mess left behind.

This might surprise you but with that 17 yo girl the Singapore SCDF protocol requires them to put ECG pads on her broken body to make sure she's dead.....
Those aren’t the defibrillator pads are they? They just measure vitals? Must be pretty redundant considering she fell from something like 10 stories up.

Lisafuller
Director
Director
Posts: 3177
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: 17 year old girl dies in Clementi

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 May 2022 4:13 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 10:44 pm
Wars tend to do the same thing. It's no easier when your platoon takes a direct hit by mortar fire. He is in NS, correct? It all sucks. I went over as an 18 year old kid and came back an old man.
Insane that such young boys are serving in such serious vocations. My daughter has several friends who are policemen, crazy when you consider that less than 6 months ago they were boys in school.

Lisafuller
Director
Director
Posts: 3177
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: 17 year old girl dies in Clementi

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 May 2022 4:13 am

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 10:55 pm
Yes. NS.
He’s in SCDF? Wasn’t involved with this case though, was he? Hope not, that could be traumatic.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests