Singapore Expats

EP holder with passive income from blog/ebooks

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Gyuunyuu

EP holder with passive income from blog/ebooks

Post by Gyuunyuu » Sat, 21 May 2022 5:01 pm

So I’m an EP holder. I have a blog and was looking to monetise it, and additionally put some ebooks/training courses together to sell.

Is this possible? From what I’ve seen k think as long as I wasn’t selling to anyone in Singapore, and paid taxes on any income to Singapore it should be okay.

Is it?
by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 21 May 2022 9:30 pm
Gyuunyuu wrote:
Sat, 21 May 2022 5:01 pm
So I’m an EP holder. I have a blog and was looking to monetise it, and additionally put some ebooks/training courses together to sell.

Is this possible? From what I’ve seen k think as long as I wasn’t selling to anyone in Singapore, and paid taxes on any income to Singapore it should be okay.

Is it?
First of all, earning money from selling training courses is not passive income, it's active, earned income. Passive income is money derived from rents, royalties, dividends, etc.

Your requirements to hold an EP include that you will work for only one company. But, you will also be working for your business, even if it's only a sole proprietorship.

All earned income is taxable in Singapore if you earned it while resident in Singapore. Therefore, any money you earn from training courses must be reported to IRAS.

And of course, there's the rub. You'll be reporting addition income while on EP. That may raise flags.

The real answer, of course, is to contact MoM by email and enquire into your situation. I predict the answer will be that you cannot.
Go to full post

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: EP holder with passive income from blog/ebooks

Post by Myasis Dragon » Sat, 21 May 2022 9:30 pm

Gyuunyuu wrote:
Sat, 21 May 2022 5:01 pm

Is it?
First of all, earning money from selling training courses is not passive income, it's active, earned income. Passive income is money derived from rents, royalties, dividends, etc.

Your requirements to hold an EP include that you will work for only one company. But, you will also be working for your business, even if it's only a sole proprietorship.

All earned income is taxable in Singapore if you earned it while resident in Singapore. Therefore, any money you earn from training courses must be reported to IRAS.

And of course, there's the rub. You'll be reporting addition income while on EP. That may raise flags.

The real answer, of course, is to contact MoM by email and enquire into your situation. I predict the answer will be that you cannot.