Singapore Expats

Ex-SG PR (male), will I be allowed to visit?

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
cjejusantos
Answers: 1

Ex-SG PR (male), will I be allowed to visit?

Post by cjejusantos » Sat, 21 May 2022 2:52 pm

Hello, I am a former PR, and been residing in the Philippines my whole life, now 21 yrs old. I only visited SG about just 5 times at 1 month max periods. I was able to renounce my PR status since I was 16 years old (16 years and 10 months) through the SG Embassy in Manila. Just for the record, I was able to get PR status in the first place due to my father. As of the moment, he's the only one left in the family with the PR status.

Since then, I haven't been to SG since 2016 (and my PR renouncement) due to my life & studies in the PH, and now I'm planning to visit SG for a 10-day vacation, would I still be able to enter the country and not get charged or smth? As my concern is I did not take NS, tho again I was able to renounce my PR.

Hopefully someone could help.

Thanks in advance!
by cjejusantos » Sat, 21 May 2022 8:15 pm
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 21 May 2022 8:09 pm

While it might be possibly, I don't think it's probable. Especially coming in on a tourist visa.
Alright, I appreciate the response mate. Thanks a lot!
Go to full post

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Ex-SG PR (male), will I be allowed to visit?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 May 2022 7:41 pm

cjejusantos wrote:
Sat, 21 May 2022 2:52 pm
Hello, I am a former PR, and been residing in the Philippines my whole life, now 21 yrs old. I only visited SG about just 5 times at 1 month max periods. I was able to renounce my PR status since I was 16 years old (16 years and 10 months) through the SG Embassy in Manila. Just for the record, I was able to get PR status in the first place due to my father. As of the moment, he's the only one left in the family with the PR status.

Since then, I haven't been to SG since 2016 (and my PR renouncement) due to my life & studies in the PH, and now I'm planning to visit SG for a 10-day vacation, would I still be able to enter the country and not get charged or smth? As my concern is I did not take NS, tho again I was able to renounce my PR.

Thanks in advance!
Yes you would be allowed to enter the country, however, there is a VERY GOOD possibility there will be an ICA officer waiting for you after you pass through the immigration counter as you will be considered at defaulter. The fact that you renounced at an Sg consulate office in the 'peens doesn't mean you are off the hook. Now all the major government databases are linked on a supercomputer along with facial recognition and AI, (e.g. ICA, MOM, MINDEF, MHA, Birth & Deaths, etc.) unless you have an actual letter from MINDEF/CMPB acknowledging you NS duties no longer exist or are waived. You are more than likely going to get picked up. As you are only 21 you have sufficient time to do your NS as you are not that old yet, so you will probably get 2 or 3 years behind bars, a fine possibily up to around 10K and you will be required to do NS on your release. I think I would call the CMPB to find out for sure if your NS obligation has been rescinded. Seriously.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 May 2022 8:09 pm

cjejusantos wrote:
Sat, 21 May 2022 8:01 pm
Sat, 21 May 2022 7:41 pm

Yes you would be allowed to enter the country, however, there is a VERY GOOD possibility there will be an ICA officer waiting for you after you pass through the immigration counter as you will be considered at defaulter. The fact that you renounced at an Sg consulate office in the 'peens doesn't mean you are off the hook. Now all the major government databases are linked on a supercomputer along with facial recognition and AI, (e.g. ICA, MOM, MINDEF, MHA, Birth & Deaths, etc.) unless you have an actual letter from MINDEF/CMPB acknowledging you NS duties no longer exist or are waived. You are more than likely going to get picked up. As you are only 21 you have sufficient time to do your NS as you are not that old yet, so you will probably get 2 or 3 years behind bars, a fine possibily up to around 10K and you will be required to do NS on your release. I think I would call the CMPB to find out for sure if your NS obligation has been rescinded. Seriously.
Thanks, that's what I thought too, as a follow up question,
if my sister is to visit SG, would there be a chance that she would be questioned on my status and be blocked by ICA upon entry?
While it might be possible, I don't think it's probable. Especially coming in on a tourist visa.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

cjejusantos

Post by cjejusantos » Sat, 21 May 2022 8:15 pm

While it might be possibly, I don't think it's probable. Especially coming in on a tourist visa.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 May 2022 11:03 pm

cjejusantos wrote:
Sat, 21 May 2022 8:15 pm

I just had another read of this whole thread and it begs a few more answers, if you don't mind.

a) Where is your father now? In Singapore or in the 'peens?
b) if you have never lived in Singapore how did your father manage to get you "Permanent Residence" without ever having lived here? How were your re-entry permits renewed? Were you physically in Singapore in order to renew them? Is that why you came back only 4 or 5 times, long enough to renew the re-entry permits? So if Immigration checks your entry and exit dates, they will know you have never been really resident here? If what I have just asked is close to the actual facts, it could go either way. You might have gotten a special dispensation or it's going to be a train wreck. :-k

cjejusantos

Post by cjejusantos » Sun, 22 May 2022 9:42 am

Sat, 21 May 2022 11:03 pm
cjejusantos wrote:
Sat, 21 May 2022 8:15 pm

I just had another read of this whole thread and it begs a few more answers, if you don't mind.

a) Where is your father now? In Singapore or in the 'peens?
b) if you have never lived in Singapore how did your father manage to get you "Permanent Residence" without ever having lived here? How were your re-entry permits renewed? Were you physically in Singapore in order to renew them? Is that why you came back only 4 or 5 times, long enough to renew the re-entry permits? So if Immigration checks your entry and exit dates, they will know you have never been really resident here? If what I have just asked is close to the actual facts, it could go either way. You might have gotten a special dispensation or it's going to be a train wreck. :-k
Yep, as we renewed re-entry permits. During my PR cancellation, I was able to sign a MINDEF acknowledgement form. As per the guidelines set in this website: https://www.mfa.gov.sg/Overseas-Mission ... %20Defence. After a few weeks we got a confirmation that I am no longer considered a PR.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 May 2022 2:27 pm

Thanks for that info. Now it's clear. Okay, brought yourself to Singapore for your holiday. You don't have a problem. They did give you a dispensation. The mention of the acknowledgement Mindef is the key I was missing early on. Something kept bothering me, hence my review of the thread and the additional questions to draw out the necessary facts. You should be good to go with no issues.

Enjoy your holiday. Cheers.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 24 May 2022 12:27 am

cjejusantos wrote:
Sat, 21 May 2022 2:52 pm

Thanks in advance!
I wouldn’t risk it, unless it’s for certain that you were released and exempted from serving NS. The possibility of serving jail time just isn’t worth it.

Edit: just Read that you have been officially released from your responsibility. In that case you’re totally fine, enjoy your time here.