Singapore Expats

Applying Citizenship for the existing

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
onTEDyStaldrImOnism

Applying Citizenship for the existing

Post by onTEDyStaldrImOnism » Tue, 17 May 2022 11:39 pm

Hello everyone,

Background:
I am an existing S-PR who served NS quite a few years back and then went oversea for school/work. I did not take the citizenship at the end of my NS due to other plans.
After my study/work, I got a job in Sg so I am back in Singapore since 2017. Also yes, I have been going back for reservist/IPPT, etc.

Given the circumstances changes, I am planning to settle down in Singapore so I am re-considering applying for citizenship again.
I would like to get some suggestions/advice from anyone :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Applying Citizenship for the existing

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 May 2022 5:25 pm

First of all, Nowadays, SGC for PR's completing NS in no longer a given. Which if one thinks about it, it makes good common sense on the government's part. Why give SGC to an NS man if, for instance, he spend a good portion of his NS in trouble with authority and was a general bad egg? Wouldn't make sense to invite someone like him to become a citizen. (I am not pointing fingers here but what actually change the government stance in that regard). So, while a PR minor today is still required to do NS, the government is no longer beholden to bestow that NSman with SGC upon completion.

So, given that change of direction by the government, It would be pretty much safe to say the only way you are going to get SGC is by your own merits since you left NS. Having said that, if your work history, academics and other ties are up to snuff since your return, there is a good possibility of gaining SGC without too much difficulty I would think. How long were you out of the country (from what age to what age). Were you still under a sponsored PR based on your parents? Assuming you are currently above the age of 21, if you are still a PR was is renewed after the age of 21 or is it currently on time remaining of the sponsored PR? If you are running out of time on a sponsored PR you may have a problem as once you try to renew it after the age of majority you will now how to qualify for PR on your own merits. Is this, by chance, the reason for trying now for SGC?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers