Singapore Expats

Shooting at US grocery stores

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Shooting at US grocery stores

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 25 May 2022 11:25 am

It's a way to become immortal... which is why more progressive countries refuse to give media access to the shooters.

Of course in rhe USA the MSM pay for access and the kids name and IG is public knowledge immediately.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 25 May 2022 11:41 am

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 9:45 am
I've given up on the US and the 2A issue.

The way I cope is to drink a beer and dedicate it to those young kids who never will.

It's more effective than thoughts and prayers I think.
Senseless killing has been going on since Cain and Abel… it’s never going to change. While it is always unfortunate and tragic, we all gotta go sometime… it’s only a matter of sooner or later.

Maybe a better way to cope is to turn off the news. I hadn’t even heard about this one until it was mentioned on this forum. Statistically speaking, the chance of you or someone you know meeting your demise in this fashion, even if you live in the US, is almost nil. But like the old saying, if one thing doesn’t get you - the other thing will. You just have to live your life and try to avoid the rare psychopath killers out there.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 27 May 2022 1:14 am

x9200 wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 7:56 am
:(
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... lde-latest
Primary school, 14 students and the teacher.
It's really unbelievable it happens again and again and some people fail to see the obvious (euphemistically speaking).

Edited:
Texas state Senator Roland Gutierrez says death toll is now 21 in mass shooting

The death toll in a mass shooting targeting an elementary school on Tuesday has now risen to 21, according to Texas state senator Roland Gutierrez, including 18 children and three adults.
Absolutely heartbreaking. In my mind the question is how many deaths will be enough for them to finally do something about it? Something tells me it’ll take a lot more. Times like this I’m grateful to live here.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 27 May 2022 1:15 am

PNGMK wrote:

The way I cope is to drink a beer and dedicate it to those young kids who never will.

Still, something needs to be done. Ignoring the issue was not a solution.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 27 May 2022 1:16 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 10:36 am
I cannot understand why they target innocent people and kids. If they want to make a statement, there are better ways. And even if they want to make a point, they do not live to see that happen.

Its like they are so bitter that they want to maximise the damage and hurt. Really sickening
There is no logic for a psychopath. The unfortunate thing is that the ones who don’t know how to protect themselves are often the ones who are the youngest and most innocent.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 27 May 2022 1:22 am

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 11:25 am
It's a way to become immortal... which is why more progressive countries refuse to give media access to the shooters.

Of course in rhe USA the MSM pay for access and the kids name and IG is public knowledge immediately.
I think a lot of them just have a desire to kill and unfortunately there are no systems in place to prevent them from doing so. For all we know, if guns were allowed in Singapore things like this could happen all the time.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 27 May 2022 1:24 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 11:41 am
PNGMK wrote:

Senseless killing has been going on since Cain and Abel… it’s never going to change. While it is always unfortunate and tragic, we all gotta go sometime… it’s only a matter of sooner or later.

Maybe a better way to cope is to turn off the news. I hadn’t even heard about this one until it was mentioned on this forum. Statistically speaking, the chance of you or someone you know meeting your demise in this fashion, even if you live in the US, is almost nil. But like the old saying, if one thing doesn’t get you - the other thing will. You just have to live your life and try to avoid the rare psychopath killers out there.
I know most people believe ignorance is bliss, but ignoring the problem will just make it worse. Although there doesn’t really seem to be much of an alternative most times.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 27 May 2022 1:42 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 27 May 2022 1:24 am
I know most people believe ignorance is bliss, but ignoring the problem will just make it worse. Although there doesn’t really seem to be much of an alternative most times.
All I can tell you is that it is scientifically proven that people who do not watch the news are happier.

I find that I watch more news while I’m here in Singapore than when I’m back in the US. I usually don’t have the time or inclination… I’m too busy living life, visiting friends, going out… it just seems there is just so much more to do and enjoy… why watch the news?

Although some news is too big to ignore like 9/11. I actually flew from Singapore to Minneapolis on 9/10 and heard about the first plane on the radio while on my way into work that morning. I have to say, I am glad I was in the US when it happened. The sense of togetherness was pervasive. At the end of the week I drove (couldn’t fly) to Michigan. Along the way, anywhere I stopped, people of all races had this strong sense of camaraderie that I’d never experienced before.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 28 May 2022 1:34 am

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 27 May 2022 1:42 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 27 May 2022 1:24 am
All I can tell you is that it is scientifically proven that people who do not watch the news are happier.

I find that I watch more news while I’m here in Singapore than when I’m back in the US. I usually don’t have the time or inclination… I’m too busy living life, visiting friends, going out… it just seems there is just so much more to do and enjoy… why watch the news?

Although some news is too big to ignore like 9/11. I actually flew from Singapore to Minneapolis on 9/10 and heard about the first plane on the radio while on my way into work that morning. I have to say, I am glad I was in the US when it happened. The sense of togetherness was pervasive. At the end of the week I drove (couldn’t fly) to Michigan. Along the way, anywhere I stopped, people of all races had this strong sense of camaraderie that I’d never experienced before.
I guess it is nice that’s something good came out of such a great tragedy. My point is just that ignoring what is happening doesn’t stop things from happening.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 May 2022 12:02 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 28 May 2022 1:34 am

My point is just that ignoring what is happening doesn’t stop things from happening.
True, but it might save your life by ignoring it. I'm like Mal when I was in the US. Since Covid, I'm moving more and more back to that phase again where I do not watch the local news at all and no longer (or rarely) watch CNN or Fox (both for the same reasons). But what it does do may keep one bad thing from happening and at my age it's an important one. By ignoring it, it may well keep me from having a cardiac arrest or heart attack due to anxiety/worry. I'm on HBP meds already. 8-[ :-k [-o<
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 30 May 2022 3:49 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sat, 28 May 2022 12:02 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 28 May 2022 1:34 am

My point is just that ignoring what is happening doesn’t stop things from happening.
True, but it might save your life by ignoring it. I'm like Mal when I was in the US. Since Covid, I'm moving more and more back to that phase again where I do not watch the local news at all and no longer (or rarely) watch CNN or Fox (both for the same reasons). But what it does do may keep one bad thing from happening and at my age it's an important one. By ignoring it, it may well keep me from having a cardiac arrest or heart attack due to anxiety/worry. I'm on HBP meds already. 8-[ :-k [-o<
Hahaha, doesn’t bother you to not know what is going on in the world? Although there is some sense in the idea that if the news is big enough or worth knowing, you’ll hear about it whether or not you actively seek it out.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 May 2022 1:02 pm

You just answered it for me. If it's big enough that I'd need to know about it, I'd hear about it everywhere I went. e.g. 9/11. Or major airline disaster. or major bombing. Then, if I think it impacts me, I go online with a specific search. Otherwise, I'm not really interested anymore. Yeah, makes me a boring conversationalist but if the news is that big, most will already know about it anyway.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 31 May 2022 3:05 am

I can see the merit, but I think I would be more anxious if I was unaware of what was going on.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 May 2022 3:36 pm

Each to their own I guess. But the way I see it, the more information that gives you anxiety that you take in, the more likely that the anxiety will cause health problems both physically and/or mentally. At 74 the less anxiety I have the more relaxed my retirement is. But you have to remember I look at things with a more than 30 year gap of history lived than you do. I had all the anxiety I needed for the rest of my life after returning from the NAM in 1968. Add a hurricane that wiped me out of business in 72 and a divorce/bankruptcy in 73 and being blown up in 78, I really don't need any more anxiety. I already have had my share and then some. Now I'm coasting....... :cool: \:D/

NYY1
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by NYY1 » Mon, 18 Jul 2022 9:52 am

A "good guy with a gun" stopped the shooter. Motive is still TBD, but at first glance this looks like one of the events against random/unknown people (discussed elsewhere). Shooter had opened fire at a food court in a mall. Unfortunate and sad.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-casu ... d=86984262