Singapore Expats

Shooting at US grocery stores

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Shooting at US grocery stores

Post by abbby » Sun, 15 May 2022 11:39 am

Unless they can change the gun laws I think this will just continue...

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/r ... ?cid=FBcna
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Shooting at US grocery stores

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 15 May 2022 1:29 pm

Always remember, if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. I wouldn't expect you to understand this, however. It's easier if you only have 500 sq/km to control and no hinterlands. and only 1.887 m population like when the country was given it's independence in 1965.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 15 May 2022 3:21 pm

abbby wrote:
Sun, 15 May 2022 11:39 am
Unless they can change the gun laws I think this will just continue...

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/r ... ?cid=FBcna
If they made guns legal in Singapore do you really think there would suddenly be a bunch of shootings? It ain’t about gun laws, it’s about nut jobs — with the mentality of this dude, if he didn’t have a gun, he would have used a knife or some other weapon. You might slow him down, but you ain’t gonna stop him. His mind was made up.

What would help is to stop the hatred and division being peddled in classrooms by the extreme left… nonsense like critical race theory and BLM - we need more people like Lil Wayne speaking out against it.

https://youtu.be/IwwwJr36HFk

https://youtu.be/hRI38cu7N-A
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 16 May 2022 1:24 am

I'm waiting for some yahoo to yet again state, "An armed society is a polite society." Nothing could be further from the truth, and it's the reason that our ancestors put gun laws into place.

This obsession with guns really needs to be included in the DSM manual of psychiatric diagnoses.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 16 May 2022 4:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sun, 15 May 2022 1:29 pm
Always remember, if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. I wouldn't expect you to understand this, however. It's easier if you only have 500 sq/km to control and no hinterlands. and only 1.887 m population like when the country was given it's independence in 1965.
True, look at the November 2015 Paris attacks… guns are outlawed there, did it stop the outlaws? Had a good guy with a gun been there, it might have saved lives.

I’m not advocating a gun toting “free for all” society, but we need to focus on the root cause - no matter what the violent act is, no matter what weapon is used, it all starts in the mind.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Mon, 16 May 2022 5:51 pm

The fact that you have to go 7 years back for an example in France speaks volumes about the effect of gun laws.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 May 2022 6:35 pm

I like the fact that in Switzerland, virtually every household has at least one gun of the assault rifle style. And kids are taught how to shoot at a very early age (girls as well now). There are strict gun laws, but with roughly 25% of the gun owning population doubling as police or military duties. They take they responsibilities. Our troubles are more of a social stigma and the uneducated drug crowds create most of the issues. I wish the US would enact Singapore's drug laws. We'd had 150~200 thousand drug dealers in the first year and then you start seeing things drying up. Use no nonsense laws. You holding more than x amount, hang'em high.

The French have a bad habit of surrender. They are currently surrendering the country to the immigrants muslim countries. No surprise there. Only need a couple of bombing and they are waving the white flags.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 16 May 2022 8:36 pm

I have friends in Switzerland. That thing above SMS is not really the exact truth. My friends didn't have an AR in the house (and they had boys in national service at home still). I can't recall if it was a voluntary thing but I go the impression that it is not that common now to keep the AR at home but it would be stored nearby (most villages and towns have little amouries).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 May 2022 10:00 pm

My definition of an 'assault' type of weapon would also include any former military issue rifle as opposed to a 'hunting' rifle. Hence an old M-1 Carbine or even a 1906 Springfield would also be considered as would the M-14 which was what military rifle I was issued in the NAM. The M-16 was just being issued about the time I left (or within the last 6 months of my tour). Basically it is any rifle that was normally issued to ground combat soldier. Would also include AK47s and the British Lee-Enfield rifles. It would not include rifles like the Weatherby rifles used for elephant and other large game. Sadly, for most people after the VN war, assault weapon became one of two rifles, the M-16 or AK-47 which couldn't be further from the truth. Australia is currently issuing the F88 Austeyr assault rifle across all of it's armed forces.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 17 May 2022 10:39 am

bro75 wrote:
Mon, 16 May 2022 5:51 pm
The fact that you have to go 7 years back for an example in France speaks volumes about the effect of gun laws.
I only chose that example because it got a lot of airplay in the media and is more well known.

If you want more recent examples in Europe, where gun laws are strict… there is the 2021 Plymouth shooting in the United Kingdom, the 2020 Hanau shootings in Germany, the 2018 Macerata shooting in Italy, to name a few.

Here is an interesting trivia question: where was the deadliest mass shooting by a lone individual in modern history? This occurred in Europe with the 2011 Norway attacks, in which 77 people died. Of them 67 died of gunshot wounds.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 May 2022 12:10 pm

The problem, as a former farmer with a then rather large collection of various firearms (all hunting firearms with the exception of the pistols of which maybe half had significant memories attached to them (like my Colt 1911 military issued sidearm. None of them were ever used on another human being (not even the Colt while in the military). Nor have I ever considered that as an option. I also had three reloaders for spent cartridges. I was also a hardcore hunter for the table only.

The problem is all the gun laws in the world doesn't stop the violent deaths at the hands of other. Guns outlawed? No problem, parangs will do in Singapore or M'sia or Indonesia, Sarin works well in Japan. Or homemade bombs like that which tore a hole in the Marriot hotel in Jakarta in 2003. Or let go to the Jamestown Massacre via poisoning. The list goes on and on and on. Banning guns only reduces the peace-loving population ability to make a shooter hesitate to wonder if the victim is also armed and if he were to miss the victim. But take his gun away and he will find another way to dispatch his victims as noted by some of the examples above.

Now it might reduce the number of deaths where the shooting was a crime of passion/suicide but I sincerely doubt it. Singapore suicide death rates have been climbing over the past two decades by jumpers. Deaths by stabbings will just get higher if guns are outlawed as when in a rage of passion, one usually picks up whatever is handy or nearby. Hammers & knives are always a good choice. The statistic one should look at is overall number of violent deaths and the percentage of increase to see if the problem isn't a social or political one rather than trying to put all the blame on guns. Guns don't kill people. People kill people, as cliché as it sounds, it's true.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 May 2022 12:22 pm

To be totally honest here. While I've never used any of my guns to shoot or even threaten another human being, as a civilian I have shot and killed one person at close range (about 2 metre) with a sawed-off doubled-barreled 12 gauge shotgun loaded with double-00 buckshot and damn near decapitated him (took out the entire left side of his throat from the edge of the windpipe out (including the carotid artery). But the shotgun was given to me by the MD state police for self defense as I was the night manager of a Holiday Inn Motel at the time (there is a lot more to the backstory).

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Tue, 17 May 2022 9:50 pm

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 18 May 2022 8:42 am

The biased, narrative spinning news media (on both sides) has done more harm to society than guns ever have. Of that there can be no doubt.

RobSg
Regular
Regular

Post by RobSg » Wed, 18 May 2022 10:14 am

An 18 year old white teenager murdered 10 black people in a grocery store and was influenced on the internet by people like Tucker Carlson and his replacement theory. That's not biased or spinning. It's straightforward news. About 7,000 people each year are killed by guns in the EU. About 60,000 American are killed each year. They have gun laws. America doesn't. That's a fact with no spinning.

Do we need to examine why racism exists in America? We'd be crazy if we did not. Is there systemic racism in police departments. Of course there is. Should schools devote time to this? Yes, because if we don't, American kids will grow up as racist as someone like Carlson. Critical race theory is essential, and those that don't agree are usually well to do white people.

Everyone should have the right to own a gun. However, get licensed for it.
IMHO to be able to go out in many of the states and buy a gun with no back ground check and no experience is insane. Do you need a semi-automatic gun or rifle?

Sorry, getting carried away here, but for heavens sakes, you can have a gun, but take a test and be qualified like with a drivers license. This nonsense that people kill and guns don't is so ridiculous.

Thank you for letting a former Singapore resident vent here. I still pop in a few times a month.