Singapore Expats

Nespresso capsules

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Nespresso capsules

Post by abbby » Sat, 14 May 2022 5:12 pm

I saw some people bringing used Nespresso capsules to the Nespresso shops, can I know what is done, is it some loyalty program..?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

x9200

Re: Nespresso capsules

Post by x9200 » Mon, 16 May 2022 10:33 am

abbby wrote:
Sat, 14 May 2022 5:12 pm
I saw some people bringing used Nespresso capsules to the Nespresso shops, can I know what is done, is it some loyalty program..?
Nope, at least nothing I am aware of. I order the capsules online from the
Nespresso store and always request some bags for the used one. Upon delivery I pass the bag with used capsules to the delivery man. No loyalty program, just helping to recycle.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Wed, 18 May 2022 8:22 pm

Thanks..good to know..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 May 2022 3:25 am

abbby wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that there are certain stores that pay you a few cents for every capsule recycled, but can’t recall for the life of me where that was. Might even be overseas for all I know.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 May 2022 3:26 am

x9200 wrote:
Mon, 16 May 2022 10:33 am
abbby wrote:
Nespresso store and always request some bags for the used one. Upon delivery I pass the bag with used capsules to the delivery man. No loyalty program, just helping to recycle.
Unless the driver works with Nespresso directly, chances are he doesn’t get back there in time to do anything with them. Probably thinks you’re passing him garbage to throw away, haha.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 24 May 2022 9:53 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 23 May 2022 3:26 am
x9200 wrote:
Mon, 16 May 2022 10:33 am
abbby wrote:
Unless the driver works with Nespresso directly, chances are he doesn’t get back there in time to do anything with them. Probably thinks you’re passing him garbage to throw away, haha.
Yeah, they have their own delivery service. 3 hour slots, sometimes even same day, free above S$70.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 25 May 2022 1:20 am

I see. I like to use reusable capsule for my coffee, just put the ground beans in directly and there’s barely any waste.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 25 May 2022 7:46 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 1:20 am
I see. I like to use reusable capsule for my coffee, just put the ground beans in directly and there’s barely any waste.
You mean for Nespresso? I tried a few different reusable types but never could get anything (taste, aroma, etc.) even remotely close to the original nespresso capsules.

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Wed, 25 May 2022 3:48 pm

I don't have personal experience with reusable pods, but my machine (HIBREW) has a reusable metal container for ground beans. In fact, it has 3 adapters - one for ground coffee, one for nespresso, one for dolce gusto. It's much cheaper than buying capsules! You can buy any coffee powder you like, and it fits more than coffee than a standard capsule.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 25 May 2022 5:30 pm

nelyanne wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 3:48 pm
I don't have personal experience with reusable pods, but my machine (HIBREW) has a reusable metal container for ground beans. In fact, it has 3 adapters - one for ground coffee, one for nespresso, one for dolce gusto. It's much cheaper than buying capsules! You can buy any coffee powder you like, and it fits more than coffee than a standard capsule.
I have this machine (bought it mainly for k-cup pods), but for ground coffee, it's a lot of volume. I also have Delonghi Autentica brewer that I could feed with ground coffee, but still nespresso original capsules tastes better :)

Talking of HiBrew and ground coffee, I found this metal container / filter odd with double walls design where you can not clean it inside. Or have I missed something?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 May 2022 4:31 am

x9200 wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 7:46 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 1:20 am
You mean for Nespresso? I tried a few different reusable types but never could get anything (taste, aroma, etc.) even remotely close to the original nespresso capsules.
I actually use a keurig, brought it back from the US a couple years ago. It’s a pretty teal color, but I mostly bought it cause they are compatible with reusable capsules. Are the “original nespresso” capsules you’re referring to flavored coffees? Otherwise the taste of the beans should be the same, no?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 May 2022 4:32 am

nelyanne wrote:
Really? Does it make more than just regular drip coffee? Any lattes/capps?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 26 May 2022 4:34 am

x9200 wrote:
Wed, 25 May 2022 5:30 pm
nelyanne wrote:
I have this machine (bought it mainly for k-cup pods), but for ground coffee, it's a lot of volume. I also have Delonghi Autentica brewer that I could feed with ground coffee, but still nespresso original capsules tastes better :)

Talking of HiBrew and ground coffee, I found this metal container / filter odd with double walls design where you can not clean it inside. Or have I missed something?
Sounds weird. Is the machine self cleaning? Or perhaps the inside is removable but you haven’t noticed?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 26 May 2022 8:18 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 26 May 2022 4:34 am
x9200 wrote:
nelyanne wrote:

Sounds weird. Is the machine self cleaning? Or perhaps the inside is removable but you haven’t noticed?

This metal part is what holds the ground coffee. The plate/insert at the bottom is the filter. Below it, there seems to be a cavity leading to a very small, single hole opening at the bottom. The plate seems to be non-removable, so I wonder what happens if the small hole gets blocked eventually.

The machine itself is pretty basic but the concept of different adapters is good. Image

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Thu, 26 May 2022 3:50 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 26 May 2022 4:32 am
nelyanne wrote:
Really? Does it make more than just regular drip coffee? Any lattes/capps?
It does not produce drip coffee - it's not a drip coffee maker. It's makes a normal espresso or lungo. Cannot make latte (unless you buy pods for making latte).
x9200 wrote:
Thu, 26 May 2022 8:18 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 26 May 2022 4:34 am
x9200 wrote:

This metal part is what holds the ground coffee. The plate/insert at the bottom is the filter. Below it, there seems to be a cavity leading to a very small, single hole opening at the bottom. The plate seems to be non-removable, so I wonder what happens if the small hole gets blocked eventually.

The machine itself is pretty basic but the concept of different adapters is good. Image
The metal container is removable and can be cleaned. So yes, it needs some manual work. You need to remove the container, fill it with coffee, load back into the machine, press the button to make coffee, remove the container, empty the container and rinse it. It does not grind the coffee so you need to use the powder. It works for me as I don't want to be forced to buy the capsules and I don't have enough space for a full-size machine (condo kitchens...). I love the taste, much better than drip coffee. I even stopped adding milk as I no longer feel a need.

I might try buying the original Nespresso pods, haven't tried them yet.

My machine is a second-hand one, I got it as a hand-me-down from a friend. No idea how durable it will be.