Singapore Expats

costs of living

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: costs of living

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 27 May 2022 12:56 am

midlet2013 wrote:
Thu, 26 May 2022 11:02 am
BBCDoc wrote:
Thu, 26 May 2022 8:38 am
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
I reckon it depends on how much of it you have and whether it's important or just greed. I'd much rather have good health and enough to survive in an average way. All the money in the world won't help your if your health goes to shit.
Agreed. I think it is said that most middle class US families are 2 medical emergencies away from poverty.

My friend in CA had a knife drop off his table and cut his foot. Cost him near USD 4,000 to get that addressed…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn’t this an accident. How does healthy living save u from such incidents.
Healthy living keeps you stronger in the face of accidents.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 27 May 2022 12:59 am

Thu, 26 May 2022 1:40 pm
If he was living healthy, he would have been wearing shoes while working in the kitchen where stuff often drops including glass items, knives. granny forks. Pans/pots of hot oil etc. Safe working practices go a long way toward healthy living. In your own kitchen especially (or the garage / workshop). Same goes with accidents. If you walk around town with earpods shoved in your ears and turned up to 115 dB as most are wont to do. If you get hit by a car backing up or don't hear a horn when you absently step off the curb.........

So, while accidents can and do happen, the frequency of same can be reduced with common sense. But the good part is that normally if it is caused by others then insurance normally will cover it (or the lawsuit will).

Good example is when I am butchering meats/fowl/fish or in my workshop that has lots of sharp power tools, while I cannot afford a SureStop Table Saw, I do wear Kevlar reinforced work gloves when working with all tools. Is it hot? Yes. But I've been working in woodshops and on a dairy farm where we often butchered cows & deer, for about 60 of the 74 years I've been around and still have all my fingers. \:D/
I wouldn’t call that living healthy, rather I think that’s an example of consciousness. Living healthy to me would be something like if you accidentally got stabbed and needed to get to the hospital quickly, being so large that you weren’t able to fit into an ambulance would make it a lot more difficult for someone to get you to the hospital as compared to if you were much lighter and could be transported easily.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 May 2022 1:34 am

Just another example. I worked in the 3rd most hazardous occupation in the world for close to two decades (commercial deep sea oilfield diver/supervisor). Without every getting a single case of the 'bends' I had a perfect diving record (although I was blown up and had 30+% of my body burned due to an explosion on the rig we were working on. (That's another story of it's own it happened in Oct 1978 while working 150 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico). How did I stay healthy? Safety. I also never had any diver on my crews get hurt either. Safety kept me healthy. Another old diver in Morgan City, LA told me something the first week I was down there that I lived by. "There are old divers & there are bold divers. But there are damned few old, bold divers." It was something I could live by and being raised on a farm I'm generally safety conscious as well. If that isn't living healthy nothing is. Being fit/healthy is one of the things that kept me safe with working a couple of hundred feet under the water that and safe practices. If you don't live safely, your health will ultimately suffer when you have an accident due to unsafe practices or not being observant of your surroundings. (Like the blur population at crosswalks who step off the curb before the green man and have blaring earphones on so they cannot hear. That is not a healthy practice at all.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 30 May 2022 3:48 am

Fri, 27 May 2022 1:34 am
Just another example. I worked in the 3rd most hazardous occupation in the world for close to two decades (commercial deep sea oilfield diver/supervisor). Without every getting a single case of the 'bends' I had a perfect diving record (although I was blown up and had 30+% of my body burned due to an explosion on the rig we were working on. (That's another story of it's own it happened in Oct 1978 while working 150 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico). How did I stay healthy? Safety. I also never had any diver on my crews get hurt either. Safety kept me healthy. Another old diver in Morgan City, LA told me something the first week I was down there that I lived by. "There are old divers & there are bold divers. But there are damned few old, bold divers." It was something I could live by and being raised on a farm I'm generally safety conscious as well. If that isn't living healthy nothing is. Being fit/healthy is one of the things that kept me safe with working a couple of hundred feet under the water that and safe practices. If you don't live safely, your health will ultimately suffer when you have an accident due to unsafe practices or not being observant of your surroundings. (Like the blur population at crosswalks who step off the curb before the green man and have blaring earphones on so they cannot hear. That is not a healthy practice at all.
Fair, but I still disagree with your use of the words healthy practices, I think there’s a very big difference between healthy and safe.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 May 2022 12:56 pm

Let's have this conversation again when you are my age. ;-) I'll probably still be around to have it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 31 May 2022 3:06 am

LOL! Hope so, though we’ve got a couple decades between us.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 May 2022 3:42 pm

Lisa, that's my positive outlook on life. I reckon there are 3 decades between us or pretty close to it. I'm bettin' on a century myself.