Singapore Expats

West facing house

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

West facing house

Post by abbby » Sat, 07 May 2022 11:31 am

Anyone lived in a west facing home? How do you bear with the heat?
I've been in 2 homes with west sun and it's scorching and my electric bills always seem to soar.
Worst are April to July months with really unbearable heat. :mad:
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Search By

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: West facing house

Post by smoulder » Sat, 07 May 2022 12:17 pm

My house faces towards the west although because of nearby buildings, the worst time of year is Jan and February. Our windows are full length as well.

Solar film and curtains make a big difference. Of course in the afternoon, I still have to switch on the aircon, but the film and curtains ensure faster cooling.

PS. I have both day and night curtains even in the living room. Usually, the day curtains are sufficient.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 09 May 2022 10:00 am

My main windows face North-East. Just about perfect esp as our windows are only half height (not the more modern full height ones).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 09 May 2022 11:26 pm

If my iPhone compass is to be believed, my windows face due north, but it seems more NW to me. I get some indirect afternoon sun (today was especially brutal).

My in-laws have the unit just opposite to us facing S/SE and they get no afternoon sun — they also get a nice breeze in the hotter summer months, whereas we get a nice breeze cooler winter months. I definitely prefer my in-laws facing.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Tue, 10 May 2022 7:55 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 09 May 2022 11:26 pm
If my iPhone compass is to be believed, my windows face due north, but it seems more NW to me. I get some indirect afternoon sun (today was especially brutal).

My in-laws have the unit just opposite to us facing S/SE and they get no afternoon sun — they also get a nice breeze in the hotter summer months, whereas we get a nice breeze cooler winter months. I definitely prefer my in-laws facing.
Try Google maps to see your house orientation. This is my house when I lived in Singapore (Watten Estates). True north is at the top of your screen. PS: It's the one with the pool.

https://goo.gl/maps/BQ9PGsybCbqsPxxL9

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Tue, 10 May 2022 9:18 am

That's a good idea Myasis Dragon, that should be very accurate. Sometimes the phone app's orientation isn't 100% accurate.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 10 May 2022 10:23 am

SE would be a nice direction. I like NE facing as I like to wake up with the sun rising in my room.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Tue, 10 May 2022 10:46 am

I like SE facing as well, nothing too glaring and warm and also, North-South facing.