Singapore Expats

Landlord refuses to repair

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Lord^Ed

Landlord refuses to repair

Post by Lord^Ed » Tue, 03 May 2022 1:29 am

Hi all,

Just shifted to a condo in the East. The agent refused to give LL's contact and TA was signed with LL's NRIC at sight. The agent was supposed to follow up with the NRIC but later she changed her saying, due to PDPA she can't show the LL's NRIC. No LL's contact and address. Anyway both the agent and LL are very cunning.

As of now, I have tons of issues with this unit. Aircon gas leakage, shower room glass door all misaligned, water heater not a heater at all, cabinet door hinges all screwed up. And the LL expects me to do the repair otherwise live with it. WTF!!! is just within the 30 days and now 3 months plus, I have window panel leakage when it is raining and it can flood the bedroom and living room. Informed the agent and 2 weeks on, nothing is happening. What can be done?

In the second month, I submitted the small claims and was given the SCT order. As of now, I am working to enforce the order on the LL. No contact no address.

How to terminate the TA?

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Landlord refuses to repair

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 03 May 2022 11:12 am

I would not normally recommend this but stop paying rent ASAP. When asked why - say you're holding it for the repairs. They will threaten SCT but clearly won't because that exposes their own liability.

You may have to forgo some of the deposit unfortunately but hang in there as long as you can before moving out.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sat, 07 May 2022 11:19 am

Usually owners would provide a 30 days warranty, thereafter any minor repairs would be taken care by the tenant. Not sure if going to small claims will solve the problem because owner didn't seem to breach the TA..? Check with your agent for the best solution out of this.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 07 May 2022 7:26 pm

You can request the SCT to order the agent to provide the LL contacts I believe.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!