Singapore Expats

Relocating from sydney

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Anu38

Relocating from sydney

Post by Anu38 » Mon, 02 May 2022 10:54 am

Hi everyone,
We are a family of 3, residing in sydney for a while and plan to relocate to Singapore later this year. I wanted your advice on the following items:
My son is in year 6 in a sydney school and will move to year 7 in the next year. I see there are lots of international and local schools in Singapore. I also see Australian International School. But I am not clear on how to go about shortlisting schools for my son? Could you pls share your experiences and thoughts on the schools?
Secondly, my husband will move on a dependent visa.So will he be able to work on that visa?
Also any other thoughts on suburbs to look for housing would be appreciated.
Warm Regards
Anu

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Relocating from sydney

Post by smoulder » Mon, 02 May 2022 2:44 pm

I'm guessing that you are coming here on an employment pass. Your husband will have to find a job in a company that is willing to have him on his own employment pass. He will not be able to work on a dependent pass.

Housing - what's your budget? Where is your office going to be?

Anu38

Post by Anu38 » Mon, 02 May 2022 6:05 pm

Thanks . My husband has over 20 years of IT experience and is currently working with a bank in Sydney since last 7 years . Will it be easy for him to find a job or a company who can process his EP ? while he is being based in Singapore and can attend interviews face to face .

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 03 May 2022 12:32 pm

Not going to be easy for sure but I believe given the talent shortage and the demand for skilled IT workers in the banking industry, he will probably be able to land a job eventually. Sooner than later if luck is on his side. The main concern is that EP approvals are in short supply.

Anu38

Post by Anu38 » Tue, 03 May 2022 7:56 pm

Thanks , I assume for an organisation it should be relatively easy transfer from dependent EP to EP in comparison to apply for fresh EP for a candidate

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 03 May 2022 9:03 pm

I don't think so. It's as difficult as it is for a fresh EP.

Also, there's no such thing as a dependent EP. It's a dependent pass - read through the forums a bit. Nowadays there's not much brownie points in being on an EP if that's what you are alluding to. I know of people who's EPs were only renewed for 1 year at a time (it could be up to 3 years). This was back in 2017 and from what I gather, things have tightened up further.