Singapore Expats

Lease discussion - Agents role

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Nycsing

Lease discussion - Agents role

Post by Nycsing » Mon, 02 May 2022 9:23 am

So we are trying to terminate our two year lease one month early. We have offered the landlord to find a new tenant. Our rent is atleast 50% below market as the market is quite hot right now.
We have an agent and the landlord has an agent. The landlords agent wants to speak to only my agent.
Any suggestion we make seems to be rejected by the agent which is baffling to me because it is in landlords interest to have us out sooner.

My question is it ok to approach landlord directly? Not sure if two agents are causing loss in translation.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: Lease discussion - Agents role

Post by abbby » Wed, 04 May 2022 9:36 am

Both sides of the agents should help communicate the request and replies. That's why there's the LL agent and tenant's agent. I am not surprised that LL wants you to complete the lease as there's not much of a difference to him with the one month difference. Don't think it's a good idea to speak directly as the LL might feel offended, unless you get the permission from the LL and agent to call directly.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)