Singapore Expats

The new Great World

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

The new Great World

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 30 Apr 2022 2:35 am

Went to Great World for the first time in ages today, and wow the place has really changed. It used to be a pretty old, drab mall, even had a different name (Great World City). Now, it’s so modern and seems to be really upscale - a ton of really nice dining options, a couple of organic food stores, even the supermarket is fancy (CS fresh instead of the old Cold Storage).

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: The new Great World

Post by abbby » Sat, 30 Apr 2022 9:06 am

I totally missed the old Great World City, it was more quiet, more accessible and definitely easier to get around. With the new renovations, it's like a maze and gotten extremely crowded..I've stopped visiting the mall.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:56 am

abbby wrote:
Sat, 30 Apr 2022 9:06 am
I totally missed the old Great World City, it was more quiet, more accessible and definitely easier to get around. With the new renovations, it's like a maze and gotten extremely crowded..I've stopped visiting the mall.
Same fate as many malls here. I used to live near United Square in the 1990’s and it was the same way, not crowded and easy to get around… then they did a major renovation and redefined the mall - now it’s a total zoo and I avoid it like the plague. For the owner of the mall and the tenants, I’m sure it’s good business. And with the high cost of land here, unless the mall is bursting at the seams with throngs of people, it’s not financially viable to keep it going.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 30 Apr 2022 9:57 pm

abbby wrote:
Yup, it’s very crowded now. But still, I think it’s pretty nice (compared to some other malls that seem to be crowded for no reason). When’s the last time you went? It’s really quite nice now.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 30 Apr 2022 9:59 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:56 am
abbby wrote:
Same fate as many malls here. I used to live near United Square in the 1990’s and it was the same way, not crowded and easy to get around… then they did a major renovation and redefined the mall - now it’s a total zoo and I avoid it like the plague. For the owner of the mall and the tenants, I’m sure it’s good business. And with the high cost of land here, unless the mall is bursting at the seams with throngs of people, it’s not financially viable to keep it going.
You’re exactly right. Rental space can be 50, 60 even 100K depending on location. With that sort of cost, it takes a ton of revenue to even break even. Explains why everything is getting more expensive nowadays, merchants need to make ends meet. Also, United Square (in my experience), is never very crowded. Most people are at Suntec, while USq is pretty empty.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:32 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 30 Apr 2022 9:59 pm
Also, United Square (in my experience), is never very crowded. Most people are at Suntec, while USq is pretty empty.
I haven’t stepped into Usq in probably 5 years, back then it was insanely crowded (at least weekend afternoons, when I was there). Maybe things have died down since the pandemic, or maybe it’s not as bad at different timings. I just know that back in the day, it was a sleepy place all the time… and that suited me just fine. When I have to deal with frenzied crowds, I just get in and get out as quickly as possible, it just frazzles my nerves!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Sun, 01 May 2022 12:30 am

Thanks for review. I’ll check it out tomorrow

I remember they had great lavatory designs

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 05 May 2022 1:08 pm

I try to avoid going into new or unknown malls. I guess my usual pick is Plaza Singapura, City Square or NEX (if I really have to). The mental load of learning a new mall layout is not worth it. I have recently been a few times to Thompson Plaza which is not too crowded.

I really prefer ground floor shop house style shopping if I need to get something and detest these new building designs where the first floor is up almost 5 foot off of the ground for what? Flooding?

If you know of a quiet under-rated mall I should add to my list let me know.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Sat, 07 May 2022 7:48 pm

The toilets not what they used to be 🥲

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sun, 08 May 2022 2:10 pm

For mall toilets, I always like the ones at Ion mall and Paragon.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 May 2022 3:37 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:32 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 30 Apr 2022 9:59 pm
Also, United Square (in my experience), is never very crowded. Most people are at Suntec, while USq is pretty empty.
I haven’t stepped into Usq in probably 5 years, back then it was insanely crowded (at least weekend afternoons, when I was there). Maybe things have died down since the pandemic, or maybe it’s not as bad at different timings. I just know that back in the day, it was a sleepy place all the time… and that suited me just fine. When I have to deal with frenzied crowds, I just get in and get out as quickly as possible, it just frazzles my nerves!
Things have definitely died down, these days it’s pretty much a ghost town compared to suntec city.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 May 2022 3:39 am

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 05 May 2022 1:08 pm
I try to avoid going into new or unknown malls. I guess my usual pick is Plaza Singapura, City Square or NEX (if I really have to). The mental load of learning a new mall layout is not worth it. I have recently been a few times to Thompson Plaza which is not too crowded.

I really prefer ground floor shop house style shopping if I need to get something and detest these new building designs where the first floor is up almost 5 foot off of the ground for what? Flooding?

If you know of a quiet under-rated mall I should add to my list let me know.
My pics are definitely paragon and great world. I love suntec as well, but it’s far from quiet and a pain to navigate if you’re not used to it (I am, but it’s taken a long time).

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 May 2022 3:41 am

abbby wrote:
Sun, 08 May 2022 2:10 pm
For mall toilets, I always like the ones at Ion mall and Paragon.
Paragon toilets are great. I like the toilets in Jewel and The Shoppes at MBS as well. I find that the more upscale the more, the nicer and cleaner the toilets, although you can definitely see why.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 23 May 2022 3:42 am

JWNYsg wrote:
Sat, 07 May 2022 7:48 pm
The toilets not what they used to be 🥲
How so? They used to be dirtier and hotter since there was no air-conditioning. Now, most of them smell pretty nice and some even have music playing.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Mon, 23 May 2022 8:28 am

Since we are taking toilets, I have set my team a work challenge - to find the dirtiest, grimiest toilet across SEA hospitals…

Should be an eye opener for the new, younger members, to see how others live and to understand privilege

I think the best toilet view is still Mt Faber cable car station - open window view of the greenery down to Vivocity as you use the urinals…highly recommended.

Other toilets in the zoos are also nice being close to nature….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more