Singapore Expats

Hanging

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
jwoods1864
Regular
Regular

Hanging

Post by jwoods1864 » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 6:51 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by jwoods1864 on Thu, 28 Apr 2022 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Hanging

Post by smoulder » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:19 am

News is tightly controlled.

As for public interest, I believe people have been conditioned to believe that the law is infallible. So basically it was his own fault for trafficking drugs "knowing" fully well what the consequences are. Never mind that he was mentally challenged.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 8:46 pm

jwoods1864 wrote:
Thu, 28 Apr 2022 6:51 am
CNA and the Straits Times barely mentioned the hanging today. Do locals not care or is it press freedom issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What you may not realize is that the news here is strongly regulated by the government. Hell, the gov owns ST. Around the world, however, this was pretty big news. Was on front page of CNN.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 8:57 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:19 am
News is tightly controlled.

As for public interest, I believe people have been conditioned to believe that the law is infallible. So basically it was his own fault for trafficking drugs "knowing" fully well what the consequences are. Never mind that he was mentally challenged.
So disgusted. This whole thing was absolutely heartless and inhumane, not to mention unfair. 4 out of the 8 Singaporean presidents we’ve had have granted clemency to inmates on death row. As for why the president didn’t do anything I’m baffled.

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Thu, 05 May 2022 3:40 pm

There are some local activists (and just regular people) concerned about the death penalty. There was also a candlelight vigil organized at Hong Lim Park. Check the organization Transformative Justice Collective. Not all Singaporeans are brainless zombies without own opinion...

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Fri, 06 May 2022 12:19 pm

Openly demanding that Singapore commute this fellow's death sentence was the worst possible approach by these organisations and high-profile people (ie. Richard Branson etc.)

Do you really think the SG gahment will back down so publicly? Countries like Singapore, China, Indonesia and Malaysia - especially former colonies - are never going to allow themselves to be perceived as obeying instructions from a bunch of white people. Quite the reverse in fact.

A softly, softly, behind the scenes diplomatic approach and with minimal publicity would have been far more likely to succeed.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Fri, 06 May 2022 5:31 pm

@Addadude - which organizations do you exactly mean? UN? Amnesty International?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 May 2022 12:35 am

That would be much like calling PETA. Nothing quiet there that's for damn sure.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

emergency234
Regular
Regular

Post by emergency234 » Sat, 14 May 2022 4:51 pm

nelyanne wrote:
Thu, 05 May 2022 3:40 pm
There are some local activists (and just regular people) concerned about the death penalty. There was also a candlelight vigil organized at Hong Lim Park. Check the organization Transformative Justice Collective. Not all Singaporeans are brainless zombies without own opinion...
The opinion on some local online forums is overwhelmingly in favour of executions for drug traffickers .

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Sat, 14 May 2022 11:51 pm

emergency234 wrote:
Sat, 14 May 2022 4:51 pm
nelyanne wrote:
Thu, 05 May 2022 3:40 pm
The opinion on some local online forums is overwhelmingly in favour of executions for drug traffickers .
Of course yes, they represent the majority of the population.

Return to “General Discussions”