Hanging

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
jwoods1864
Regular
Regular
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 3:00 am

Hanging

Post by jwoods1864 » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 6:51 am

CNA and the Straits Times barely mentioned the hanging today. Do locals not care or is it press freedom issues?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoulder
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:05 pm

Re: Hanging

Post by smoulder » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:19 am

News is tightly controlled.

As for public interest, I believe people have been conditioned to believe that the law is infallible. So basically it was his own fault for trafficking drugs "knowing" fully well what the consequences are. Never mind that he was mentally challenged.

Lisafuller
Director
Director
Posts: 3177
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Hanging

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 8:46 pm

jwoods1864 wrote:
Thu, 28 Apr 2022 6:51 am
CNA and the Straits Times barely mentioned the hanging today. Do locals not care or is it press freedom issues?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What you may not realize is that the news here is strongly regulated by the government. Hell, the gov owns ST. Around the world, however, this was pretty big news. Was on front page of CNN.

Lisafuller
Director
Director
Posts: 3177
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Hanging

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 8:57 pm

smoulder wrote:
Thu, 28 Apr 2022 10:19 am
News is tightly controlled.

As for public interest, I believe people have been conditioned to believe that the law is infallible. So basically it was his own fault for trafficking drugs "knowing" fully well what the consequences are. Never mind that he was mentally challenged.
So disgusted. This whole thing was absolutely heartless and inhumane, not to mention unfair. 4 out of the 8 Singaporean presidents we’ve had have granted clemency to inmates on death row. As for why the president didn’t do anything I’m baffled.

nelyanne
Regular
Regular
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 1:18 pm

Re: Hanging

Post by nelyanne » Thu, 05 May 2022 3:40 pm

There are some local activists (and just regular people) concerned about the death penalty. There was also a candlelight vigil organized at Hong Lim Park. Check the organization Transformative Justice Collective. Not all Singaporeans are brainless zombies without own opinion...

User avatar
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 848
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2006 12:37 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Darkest Telok Blangah

Re: Hanging

Post by Addadude » Fri, 06 May 2022 12:19 pm

Openly demanding that Singapore commute this fellow's death sentence was the worst possible approach by these organisations and high-profile people (ie. Richard Branson etc.)

Do you really think the SG gahment will back down so publicly? Countries like Singapore, China, Indonesia and Malaysia - especially former colonies - are never going to allow themselves to be perceived as obeying instructions from a bunch of white people. Quite the reverse in fact.

A softly, softly, behind the scenes diplomatic approach and with minimal publicity would have been far more likely to succeed.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

nelyanne
Regular
Regular
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 1:18 pm

Re: Hanging

Post by nelyanne » Fri, 06 May 2022 5:31 pm

@Addadude - which organizations do you exactly mean? UN? Amnesty International?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39419
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Hanging

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 May 2022 12:35 am

That would be much like calling PETA. Nothing quiet there that's for damn sure.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
emergency234
Member
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 6:26 am

Re: Hanging

Post by emergency234 » Sat, 14 May 2022 4:51 pm

nelyanne wrote:
Thu, 05 May 2022 3:40 pm
There are some local activists (and just regular people) concerned about the death penalty. There was also a candlelight vigil organized at Hong Lim Park. Check the organization Transformative Justice Collective. Not all Singaporeans are brainless zombies without own opinion...
The opinion on some local online forums is overwhelmingly in favour of executions for drug traffickers .

nelyanne
Regular
Regular
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 1:18 pm

Re: Hanging

Post by nelyanne » Sat, 14 May 2022 11:51 pm

emergency234 wrote:
Sat, 14 May 2022 4:51 pm
nelyanne wrote:
Thu, 05 May 2022 3:40 pm
There are some local activists (and just regular people) concerned about the death penalty. There was also a candlelight vigil organized at Hong Lim Park. Check the organization Transformative Justice Collective. Not all Singaporeans are brainless zombies without own opinion...
The opinion on some local online forums is overwhelmingly in favour of executions for drug traffickers .
Of course yes, they represent the majority of the population.

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests