Singapore Expats

Serving on an Management Committee is painful

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Serving on an Management Committee is painful

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:55 pm

I resigned on the spot in our last AGM after 4 hours of abuse from proprietors who refuse to be involved all year but then insist on shouting abuse and making insinuations of corruption at their MC. There are some ugly nasty "kampong" style Singaporean's in these condos.

Think carefully before serving.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Serving on an Management Committee is painful

Post by malcontent » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 1:14 pm

Good for you.

I have been living at the same condo for almost 20 years. Was approached many times to be involved in the Management Committee (and there is plenty to be dissatisfied about at our condo), but I decided long ago that I would rather be dissatisfied than take on the stress as a committee member. Live is too short.

What we do instead is see how people vote and delegate our vote to those who vote the way we agree with.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:22 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 25 Apr 2022 1:14 pm
Good for you.

I have been living at the same condo for almost 20 years. Was approached many times to be involved in the Management Committee (and there is plenty to be dissatisfied about at our condo), but I decided long ago that I would rather be dissatisfied than take on the stress as a committee member. Live is too short.

What we do instead is see how people vote and delegate our vote to those who vote the way we agree with.
Same here. I like to stay back and observe. I’ve seen ridiculous fights break out in the resident GCs over the smallest things, would never get involved.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:26 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 25 Apr 2022 12:55 pm
I resigned on the spot in our last AGM after 4 hours of abuse from proprietors who refuse to be involved all year but then insist on shouting abuse and making insinuations of corruption at their MC. There are some ugly nasty "kampong" style Singaporean's in these condos.

This is an excellent topic. Like Mal, I’ve gotten many invites to join the committee over my time as a resident, but have always swiftly rejected. It’s a thankless job, takes time and effort and at the end of the day not only are you not appreciated for it, you’re criticized and have to deal with the endless complaints from residents. And when these complainers are asked to serve, they refuse.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 1:13 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:26 pm
PNGMK wrote:

This is an excellent topic. Like Mal, I’ve gotten many invites to join the committee over my time as a resident, but have always swiftly rejected. It’s a thankless job, takes time and effort and at the end of the day not only are you not appreciated for it, you’re criticized and have to deal with the endless complaints from residents. And when these complainers are asked to serve, they refuse.
Sounds a lot like being a moderator on this board....... :-k [-( :lol: :lol: :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 8:22 am

For those who are wondering how to raise issues in your condo - let me assure you that shouting them out in an AGM is least effective manner.

The correct manner is to WRITE to the MC (cc MA). If you're not seeing action then raise it in writing as an AOB matter at least two weeks prior to the AGM. Failing that raise 20% of the votes and run your own EGM to address the matter. Worse case take legal action. Once again, shouting at the MC at an AGM makes YOU the asswipe, not the MC.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:37 am

Many years ago I had a boss who was both a member and council member of Singapore Island Country Club, Sentosa Golf Club and Tanglin Club. It seemed like every week there were full on law suits going back and forth between individuals and the various committees, many of which made it to the news headlines.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:02 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 26 Apr 2022 8:22 am
For those who are wondering how to raise issues in your condo - let me assure you that shouting them out in an AGM is least effective manner.

The correct manner is to WRITE to the MC (cc MA). If you're not seeing action then raise it in writing as an AOB matter at least two weeks prior to the AGM. Failing that raise 20% of the votes and run your own EGM to address the matter. Worse case take legal action. Once again, shouting at the MC at an AGM makes YOU the asswipe, not the MC.
Last line sums it all up nicely. Although, there have been plenty of occasions where the MC did not take up/even acknowledge issues brought up. Simply sent an automated response that the query was received but that was the end of things.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:03 pm

Addadude wrote:
Tue, 26 Apr 2022 10:37 am
Many years ago I had a boss who was both a member and council member of Singapore Island Country Club, Sentosa Golf Club and Tanglin Club. It seemed like every week there were full on law suits going back and forth between individuals and the various committees, many of which made it to the news headlines.
What could they be disputing over?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 26 Apr 2022 1:13 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:26 pm
PNGMK wrote:

Sounds a lot like being a moderator on this board....... :-k [-( :lol: :lol: :lol:
Having all the privileges of being a mod must sweeten the deal a little though, no?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Apr 2022 4:02 pm

There are no privileges other that seeing a clean and respected board. We do this as a way of thanking our host for the opportunity to help others, we get nothing else other than that ability to help others if we can. It's totally voluntary, unpaid position. Basically just like the 3.5 years I spend resettling VN Boat People under the auspices of UNHCR. A way of helping others, if you will, in a non-secular manner. You call sweeping out the garbage and kicking out the trolls & spammers a privilege? ;-) :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 27 Apr 2022 9:20 pm

Still, it’s a pretty big power. Although I guess it’s not used as one, and is more of a responsibility.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:22 pm

Exactly. And the four of us that are currently active are well aware of that responsibility we have and our responsibility to our hosts and our regular members.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 28 Apr 2022 9:05 pm

Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:22 pm
Exactly. And the four of us that are currently active are well aware of that responsibility we have and our responsibility to our hosts and our regular members.
“With great power, comes great responsibility”.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 29 Apr 2022 9:46 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 28 Apr 2022 9:05 pm
Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:22 pm
“With great power, comes great responsibility”.
Is that from Spider-Man?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr