Singapore Expats

CPF medishield liability

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
ukquest48

CPF medishield liability

Post by ukquest48 » Sat, 23 Apr 2022 7:24 pm

Has anyone got experience with CPF medishield liability for dual citizenship Singaporean child (16-21 years old) with non-Singaporean parents?

Cheers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: CPF medishield liability

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 3:09 am

Oddly enough, in all my years on this forum, I honestly believe this one is completely out of left field somewhere. I saw your other post last night I believe, and i started to type but found myself hitting a brick wall. As you basically said in your other post. I wish you had left that post up or did somebody delete it. I honestly do not have clue and could find any with some research this afternoon. I think if I were you and contact the CPF board again and request for a statute or copy of the law requiring parents of minors, when not citizens of Singapore, to pay for medical insurance via CPF when the child is not living in Singapore and has done for the vast majority of his life.

However, on the other hand, the gahment is sneaky and it might be a way to slap a fine (of sorts) on the parents for pulling their son out of Singapore by following the rules required. So maybe it's a spite move by them to extract some satisfaction for losing a soldier. I honestly don't have a clue and no matter how I started last night I couldn't make any sense of it. I'd definitely want to see the legal documentation for that act.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 9:01 am

OP stated that the compulsory medishield CPF premiums were owed before their son could disavow Singapore citizenship (even though the son has basically fulfilled all other requirements from what I recall for giving up SC). This medishield issue has been a problem that some regulars have complained about for non resident citizens (the issue of compulsory premiums is that it erodes ones CPF account unnecessarily in some cases.). I'd add that a Singapore child should have an edusave account and I bet there is money in that (simply from govt top ups alone) and that may cover the compulsory medishield premiums in part. I'd certainly be trying to tie the two together.

I do agree this is a new one SMS!, probably as compulsory medishield premiums are only a decade old or so.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 9:38 am

money in edusave account is for education related usage. This is under MOE
Medisheld premium is deduce from MA account. This is under CPF

Different department

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 9:40 am

therat wrote:
Mon, 25 Apr 2022 9:38 am

Different department
I realize that but if the OP's son is giving up his SC then his Edusave needs to be returned to him (as it normally ends up in CPF at age 35). Hence is OP "owes" money to medishield then he is well within his rights to argue it should be countered by his refunded edusave. Either way it's BS.

therat
Editor
Editor

Post by therat » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 9:47 am

https://www.cpf.gov.sg/member/faq/healt ... hield-life

Can I cancel or terminate my MediShield Life cover?
MediShield Life provides universal healthcare coverage to all Singaporeans and Permanent Residents regardless of their pre-existing medical conditions, for life. Coverage is mandatory for Singapore residents and cannot be cancelled or terminated. With every Singapore resident collectively supporting our healthcare costs by pooling our healthcare risks, we can keep annual MediShield Life premium affordable to support payouts for those of us who incur unexpectedly large hospital bills.

The Government has given concession to a small number of foreigners with MediShield cover to continue their coverage under MediShield Life. Write to us to terminate your cover. Once terminated, you will not be able to rejoin MediShield Life again.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 11:45 am

Thanks TheRat but that doesn't help OP as their son's has already incurred a bill for past policy years.

therat
Editor
Editor

Post by therat » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 2:21 pm

The link I quote. Inside have hidden link on the word "write to them".

What is incurred. OP has to work with CPF to solve it.
But I think the next step is terminate it to prevent the bill keep on rolling.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 2:36 pm

Right.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Apr 2022 6:05 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 25 Apr 2022 9:01 am
This medishield issue has been a problem that some regulars have complained about for non resident citizens (the issue of compulsory premiums is that it erodes ones CPF account unnecessarily in some cases.).

I do agree this is a new one SMS!, probably as compulsory medishield premiums are only a decade old or so.
That is where I got stuck. I've heard about that one, but the one Sg parent had given up her citizenship. That's the rub. She'd already withdrawn her CPF and divested herself from all things Singaporean. This is why I made mention of the OP first post which looked like he deleted the next day or somebody else deleted it. There was much more detail in it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 12:25 am

I left Singapore with about 3 years left on my PR. Medishield premiums were deducted from my CPF account even though I wasn't present in Singapore any more. Emails to CPF confirmed that I had to pay this so long as I was PR.

That included my last partial year. A full year's of premiums was deducted, then the balance was refunded to my CPF account when I terminated my PR mid year.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:47 pm

therat wrote:

Different department
Yup. And they’re incredibly strict with how it’s used, we tried to use our daughter’s CPF to pay for some of her fencing equipment last year as she was graduating and still had around $2K left in the account, no luck. Had to appeal to the MOE (which you may think wasn’t worth the effort but fencing equipment easily costs hundreds, if not thousands).

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 26 Apr 2022 11:48 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 25 Apr 2022 9:40 am
therat wrote:

Different department
I realize that but if the OP's son is giving up his SC then his Edusave needs to be returned to him (as it normally ends up in CPF at age 35). Hence is OP "owes" money to medishield then he is well within his rights to argue it should be countered by his refunded edusave. Either way it's BS.
Don’t think they would let OP access the funds that easily. They’re incredibly strict with how the money is used.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 27 Apr 2022 7:29 am

If OPs son is giving up his SC and cancelling his CPF account then Eduaave should be part of that.