Singapore Expats

SC applying supplementary credit card for foreigner spouse

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: SC applying supplementary credit card for foreigner spouse

Post by malcontent » Tue, 24 May 2022 1:17 am

MOCHS wrote:
Thu, 21 Apr 2022 2:28 pm
Got a couple of questions:

1. An applicant can apply for US credit card when they’re not physically in the US? The card will be mailed to the overseas address?
By the way, I just applied for a new Capital One Quicksilver card ($200 bonus after spending $500) and was instantly approved for a $30,000 credit line. I didn’t use VPN, but I did use my parent’s US address and my Google number (US phone number) which they used to verify me.

The whole process couldn't have taken more than 2 minutes. I chose this card because it’s good for trips outside of Singapore, with no foreign transaction fees and 1.5% cash back, plus the sign up bonus is one of the highest relative to the spend requirement.

I especially like to use US cards for car rentals, because only US cards cover the insurance which is a lot of savings, and is $0 deductible. I’ve actually made a claim once in Malaysia after accidentally damaging the rental car in a parking lot — only around $500 worth of damage, but they covered every penny.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Thu, 16 Jun 2022 6:31 pm

Just an update to the above. I am now in the US and have picked up the physical card. After using the card just one time, my card was placed into restricted status and I have now been asked scan copies of my federal/state ID, proof of address and my SS card. I have grudgingly agreed and did this yesterday. The CSR wouldn’t say why this is happening, but I think it is clear that applying from outside the US is something that now gets flagged. That is a real shame, since Capital One has always been among the less xenophobic… maybe times have changed. We’ll see where this goes — I will provide an update once things are settled.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Tue, 05 Jul 2022 7:46 am

^ That sounds unnecessarily intense. Hubby has not applied for any US CCs and I guess we’ll stick to Amaze/Revolut/YouTrip if we ever travel back to the US.

Had a friend that went to the US for a conference a couple of months ago and used YouTrip without any issues.

Anyway my hubby got PR last month and can qualify for a CC on his own now. Just a hypothetical question, even if he’s a PR, I assume Maybank will still reject him for his nationality. :P

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 05 Jul 2022 1:54 pm

It may be worth another try MOCHS with Maybank. Now that they are a bank registered in Singapore (and not a foreign bank) I've noticed some of their policies have changed.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 05 Jul 2022 2:16 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Tue, 05 Jul 2022 7:46 am
^ That sounds unnecessarily intense. Hubby has not applied for any US CCs and I guess we’ll stick to Amaze/Revolut/YouTrip if we ever travel back to the US.

Had a friend that went to the US for a conference a couple of months ago and used YouTrip without any issues.

Anyway my hubby got PR last month and can qualify for a CC on his own now. Just a hypothetical question, even if he’s a PR, I assume Maybank will still reject him for his nationality. :P
I would expect PR or SC should be accepted at Maybank without issue.

As for Capital One, don’t bother applying at this company unless you do so from your US address of record. They took over a week to call me back, left a message asking me to call them. If it were good news they would have just lifted the restriction on my account. I do not plan to call them, I will just let it go and avoid doing business with Capital One henceforward. They probably had a look at my previous activity, how I applied for their Venture card and got a $500 sign up bonus, only to cancel within 12 months before the annual fee was due. They can also see my card activity is suddenly big and then nothing for a year. That combined with the signing up and logging in from Singapore without using the card in Singapore… probably the last straw. All that I can say is, they are too smart for me.

Most credit card companies are NOT like this, I will still apply for other US cards on my next trip.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 06 Jul 2022 11:24 am

Malcontent - my wife is down to one CC - her discovery card. Her Founders Credit Union and GESA visa/mastercard were all cancelled years ago for similar issues. I MADE her use her discovery card in the USA so some activity showed. (I'm surprised at how well it is accepted over there).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 06 Jul 2022 12:06 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 06 Jul 2022 11:24 am
Malcontent - my wife is down to one CC - her discovery card. Her Founders Credit Union and GESA visa/mastercard were all cancelled years ago for similar issues. I MADE her use her discovery card in the USA so some activity showed. (I'm surprised at how well it is accepted over there).
In my opinion, the best financial institution for US persons who reside abroad (and even those who reside domestically) is SDFCU, the same CU used by US diplomats around the world. More than that, their fees and features are almost unmatched. I’ve had an account for about 3 years now. Here are some of the reasons I like it…

free to join w/ promo code
free checking w/TOD
free ACH
free debit card
no fee ATM w/d
(upper tier a/c reimburses others ATM fees)
coop ATM network
coop shared branching
free incoming wires
low cost outbound wires
expat friendly/no US address required
fedex cards to foreign address (for free)
2% CC w/o AF or FTF

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 12 Aug 2022 9:26 am

Been seeing posts for US miles cards on Instagram like Chase Sapphire or Capitol One Venture giving welcome miles of 70 to 80K.

Dang, they’re so mighty generous compared to SG’s miles cards. I’m curious why is that so?

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Fri, 12 Aug 2022 9:58 am

MOCHS wrote:
Fri, 12 Aug 2022 9:26 am
Been seeing posts for US miles cards on Instagram like Chase Sapphire or Capitol One Venture giving welcome miles of 70 to 80K.

Dang, they’re so mighty generous compared to SG’s miles cards. I’m curious why is that so?
From what I can see, there's no other country where they are as generous with their credit card points as the US. I have a school friend who moved to the US - he quit his job to run a blog that is dedicated to finding the best deals. He claims to have traveled and vacationed around the world for years without paying a dollar out of his pocket for hotels and flights - all by finding the best credit card deals.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 12 Aug 2022 12:34 pm

More than 10 years ago, I read that a substantial percentage of Americans don’t own a passport since the US is so large that if they want a specific scenery, they can just go another state and a lot of them don’t even travel overseas in their lifetime.

Wonder if these new miles cards are changing the game or they’ll continue to just stay in the US. If I remember correctly, quite a number of Americans seem to be very distrusting of CCs too.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sun, 14 Aug 2022 7:20 am

MOCHS wrote:
Fri, 12 Aug 2022 12:34 pm
More than 10 years ago, I read that a substantial percentage of Americans don’t own a passport since the US is so large that if they want a specific scenery, they can just go another state and a lot of them don’t even travel overseas in their lifetime.

Wonder if these new miles cards are changing the game or they’ll continue to just stay in the US. If I remember correctly, quite a number of Americans seem to be very distrusting of CCs too.
I know many Americans who fit this description. Definitely, a more attractive credit card is not going to change the game.

However, I wouldn’t be surprised if more Americans have a passport these days. The reason is simple, you can no longer fly to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean without one. Last time you could. Blame 9/11.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 16 Aug 2022 7:20 pm

While I was back in the US last week, Capital One sent me a new Savor card and it’s kind of a nice one, made of metal. A few months ago they also mentioned that I will start to earn 3% back on all travel purchases with the Savor card. This is the original Savor (not Savor One), and they seem to have grandfathered me into perpetual no annual fee as well (new applicants pay an annual fee after 12 months).

Although I’m kind of upset with Capital One, it’s almost like the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing. I might just keep the Savor and ignore their shenanigans with the other card.

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:18 pm

My mother and wife doesn't have an income but i was able to get them a supplementary card. Mine is a charge card though