Singapore Expats

PR approval chances 2022

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: PR approval chances 2022

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 12 Aug 2022 2:50 pm

Justgotfired wrote:
Fri, 12 Aug 2022 8:36 am
singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 11 Aug 2022 11:26 pm
Justgotfired wrote:
Thu, 11 Aug 2022 6:26 pm
Hi all, have the following scenario that I would like to get some advice on:

I have a PR application pending. I just got fired. I am thinking of applying for PEP so I can stay here to look for another job. What happens to my PR application while I am on PEP without a job? Can the ICA approve my PR during this time? Thank you!
If you are without an ep or pep even for a short period, your application would get cancelled.
What about if I am on PEP but without a job? I believe I am able to be unemployed for 6 months on PEP. Thank you!
On PEP it is ok for you to be unemployed for 6 months, but do you think ICA will prefer to give PR to someone who is unemployed for 6 months on PEP? Think about it. PR and PEP are not the same.

Justgotfired

Post by Justgotfired » Sat, 13 Aug 2022 9:51 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Fri, 12 Aug 2022 2:50 pm
Justgotfired wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
Thu, 11 Aug 2022 11:26 pm

If you are without an ep or pep even for a short period, your application would get cancelled.
What about if I am on PEP but without a job? I believe I am able to be unemployed for 6 months on PEP. Thank you!
On PEP it is ok for you to be unemployed for 6 months, but do you think ICA will prefer to give PR to someone who is unemployed for 6 months on PEP? Think about it. PR and PEP are not the same.
So I got fired but I will still be officially employed for a few more months. My EP is valid for a few more months. I plan to apply for PEP before my EP expires. Let’s say ICA approves my PR app tomorrow. I understand that for the final approval ICA requires a statement from my employer confirming that I am still employed. My employer will likely state that my employment will end in a few months. Do you think ICA is ok with that or will they reject the application?

I understand your point about the ICA not granting PR to PEP holders without a job. But do you think I can ask ICA to delay the processing of my app while I’m on PEP and looking for a job? Thank you!

mystic_river
Chatter
Chatter

Post by mystic_river » Sat, 13 Aug 2022 11:10 pm

I don’t really understand why you’d want to apply for PEP. If you’re officially still employed for a few months, why don’t you just use that time to find a new job instead? In the eyes of ICA, it’d look like a normal job change and it wont hurt your chances with your PR application either (unless it pays lower than what you were making in your current job and/or is of a lower position)

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 14 Aug 2022 10:50 am

Justgotfired wrote:
Sat, 13 Aug 2022 9:51 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Justgotfired wrote:

So I got fired but I will still be officially employed for a few more months. My EP is valid for a few more months. I plan to apply for PEP before my EP expires. Let’s say ICA approves my PR app tomorrow. I understand that for the final approval ICA requires a statement from my employer confirming that I am still employed. My employer will likely state that my employment will end in a few months. Do you think ICA is ok with that or will they reject the application?

I understand your point about the ICA not granting PR to PEP holders without a job. But do you think I can ask ICA to delay the processing of my app while I’m on PEP and looking for a job? Thank you!
But do you think I can ask ICA to delay the processing of my app while I’m on PEP and looking for a job? -- No, they will not accept

On date of completion of PR formalities if you are employed, it is ok.

jondavidson

PR approval chances 2022

Post by jondavidson » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 1:51 am

Hi everyone, I've been following this forum for months but this is my first post. I have worked in Singapore for several years and I would love to live here for the long term but I know my chances are quite low for PR.

Nationality: British
Race: White
Marital status: Single
Immigration status: Employment Pass
Time in Singapore: 5-6 years
Job: Aviation
Salary: SGD 120-150k
Education: Bachelor's from a British university

I have not submitted an application because based on what I understand from reading this forum, my chances are low. Short of marrying a Singaporean, is there anything I can do to give me a realistic chance of getting approval for Singapore PR?

Thanks everyone.

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 9:29 am

jondavidson wrote:
Mon, 15 Aug 2022 1:51 am
Hi everyone, I've been following this forum for months but this is my first post. I have worked in Singapore for several years and I would love to live here for the long term but I know my chances are quite low for PR.

Nationality: British
Race: White
Marital status: Single
Time in Singapore: 5-6 years
Job: Aviation
Salary: SGD 120-150k
Education: Bachelor's from a British university

I have not submitted an application because based on what I understand from reading this forum, my chances are low. Short of marrying a Singaporean, is there anything I can do to give me a realistic chance of getting approval for Singapore PR?

Thanks everyone.
Chances will be surely low. Go ahead and try.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 11:05 am

Race is your only real negative. Industry is good especially and picking up again now that covid is more or less peaked or at least considered endemic. But, I fear, you may have a reach to get there. Persistence is going to be your only asset, baring salary increase or more importantly, job promotions, scope, etc. While you indicate your field is aviation, you haven't given us any clue as to precisely what. That could also have a bearing, or not.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Justgotfired

Post by Justgotfired » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 11:45 am

mystic_river wrote:
Sat, 13 Aug 2022 11:10 pm
I don’t really understand why you’d want to apply for PEP. If you’re officially still employed for a few months, why don’t you just use that time to find a new job instead? In the eyes of ICA, it’d look like a normal job change and it wont hurt your chances with your PR application either (unless it pays lower than what you were making in your current job and/or is of a lower position)
The plan is to find a job before my EP expires but in case I don’t find anything meaningful I will need to apply for PEP.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 1:49 pm

Too late now.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Justgotfired

Post by Justgotfired » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 4:23 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Sun, 14 Aug 2022 10:50 am
Justgotfired wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

But do you think I can ask ICA to delay the processing of my app while I’m on PEP and looking for a job? -- No, they will not accept

Let’s say I still have my EP when I get my IPA but my employer informs ICA that my EP will be terminated in a few months. Will ICA allow me to complete PR formalities? Thank you!

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 5:29 pm

Justgotfired wrote:
Mon, 15 Aug 2022 4:23 pm
singaporeflyer wrote:
Sun, 14 Aug 2022 10:50 am
Justgotfired wrote:

Let’s say I still have my EP when I get my IPA but my employer informs ICA that my EP will be terminated in a few months. Will ICA allow me to complete PR formalities? Thank you!
Please read again

jondavidson

Post by jondavidson » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 6:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 15 Aug 2022 11:05 am
Race is your only real negative. Industry is good especially and picking up again now that covid is more or less peaked or at least considered endemic. But, I fear, you may have a reach to get there. Persistence is going to be your only asset, baring salary increase or more importantly, job promotions, scope, etc. While you indicate your field is aviation, you haven't given us any clue as to precisely what. That could also have a bearing, or not.
Thank you for your response. Am involved managing revenue, profitability and air routes. Middle management. Will probably make an application and if it gets rejected will apply after a promotion in 2-3 years.

Would you say once I reach my 40s there would be 'no point' applying for PR as a single because here is 'less chance' I will have a family/kids in Singapore? Though I think it would be quite sad to get rejected for PR even after working in SG for 10+ years... #-o

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 7:04 pm

^ SG needs people that have the potential to boost the SG population and sadly, humans aren’t amoeba that can multiply by themselves. Singles don’t really beget the next generation. Yes, you can have children out of wedlock or adopt but SG still sticks to the traditional family nucleus mindset.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Aug 2022 10:24 pm

jondavidson wrote:
Mon, 15 Aug 2022 6:26 pm
Would you say once I reach my 40s there would be 'no point' applying for PR as a single because here is 'less chance' I will have a family/kids in Singapore? Though I think it would be quite sad to get rejected for PR even after working in SG for 10+ years... #-o
You are in the right industry. The old saw here about getting PR after the age of 45 only if you are a neurosurgeon or rocket scientist has a lot of truth to it when you consider the size of Singapore (580 sq/km) and the population (5.5 m) and the lowest TFR in the world (it's been in the bottom three for 30 years). That is why the preference for child bearing aged married folks are preferred. A Single person theoretically takes the same amount of housing space (something of a premium here) as a married couple with one newborn (which can grow up to be a baby-oven or NS man - both required badly). We don't mean to be negative but it is what it is. If nothing else, Singapore is extremely pragmatic (which sometimes sucks).

However, I'm not going to say it's impossible. Granted I got my PR using the Family Ties route as I married a local girl (next month will be our 39th anniversary) but it took me 2 tries and 11 years and a complete change of profession in order to pull it off - and I had two local kids by that time (5 & 10 years old when I got PR). Oh, I was 47 when I was finally successful. Read some of WD40's posts. He's been here with his family (wife and little girl) for over 10 years and rejected multiple times. He's come to terms with it but not everybody has that ability.

stochastic

PR approval chances 2022

Post by stochastic » Thu, 18 Aug 2022 11:10 pm

Hi everyone,

Thankful to this great forum I have been following since long, this is my first post and would need your expert opinion on my PR case as below :

PR application : 2nd Application Applied in May 2022.
Nationality: Indian
Race: Indian
Marital status: Married
Time in Singapore: 6.5 years
Job: software architect/Data Science
Salary: 150K base +50K bonus
Education: Masters from US university (Online), Bachelors in Engineering from India.
Spouse : Indian, MBA from India, 8 Months Employment history in SG on dependent Pass,ex-banker in India. Currently homemaker.
Kids : 7 yr old son, 4 yr old daughter ( both in singapore, Son in school since 2016 (preschool to grade 2), Daughter in SG since 2018
PR 1st application : Rejected in Feb 2020 (applied May 2019)
Difference since last application : 20% salary increase, completion of Masters (non SG/online)

Based on the comments in forum, I would rate myself a 20% chance, thought to share my case (if it helps anyone) and gain your feedback.

Thanks everyone.