Singapore Expats

Mass exodus

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Mass exodus

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:46 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 06 Aug 2022 11:36 am
moonshineQ wrote:
Fri, 05 Aug 2022 3:39 pm
Pros
clean, hawker food is cheap, ntuc is cheap
Cons
Car, housing and no greenery

Lucky Msia is open!
I was shocked last week when I went to an old favorite hawker center in Boon Lay (one of the cheapest hawkers in SG) and my favorite Chinese nasi lemak that used to cost $2.50 in the 2000’s now costs $4.80… and smaller portion some more!
Same with pretty much any dish, my favorite chicken rice at the bukit Timah food center used to cost $2.50 a plate, now it’s $4!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:47 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sat, 06 Aug 2022 11:39 am
malcontent wrote:
Sat, 06 Aug 2022 11:36 am
moonshineQ wrote:
Pros
Cons

Lucky Msia is open!
I was shocked last week when I went to an old favorite hawker center in Boon Lay (one of the cheapest hawkers in SG) and my favorite Chinese nasi lemak that used to cost $2.50 in the 2000’s now costs $4.80… and smaller portion some more!
Everywhere you go, the food is either more expensive for a similar portion or the same cost but smaller portion.
Portions have been decreasing for ages now, and it’s ridiculous. I don’t mind paying more cause I understand that costs are rising, but at least give me a respectable portion.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:48 pm

therat wrote:
Sat, 06 Aug 2022 4:09 pm
malcontent wrote:
moonshineQ wrote:
Pros
Cons

Lucky Msia is open!
Even fast food also increase food.

MCd increase twice in 6 wk time. From $5 to $5.50 to $5.80

Subway also from $5.90 to $6.50

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
I found out from my daughter that the Mickey D’s in Unis and Polys here offer student discounts - not sure what exactly the discount is but it’s something like 20%.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:49 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Wed, 10 Aug 2022 6:16 pm
I once compared the prices of a few of the same items (like pasta, bread, chicken, sauce, etc.) between Giant and Fairprice. Fairprice was actually cheaper. I was also surprised.

I feel their house brand items are competitively priced. If only the other supermarkets weren’t so far away from me then maybe I can compare across a few more. I go to Fairprice for the convenience…
Cold storage has also come down quite a bit on price, especially with the new Meadows brand.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:50 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 06 Aug 2022 7:00 pm
therat wrote:
malcontent wrote:

Yes, I noticed the same. McD prices in Singapore have always tracked pretty close to the US. Depending what you compare, it is usually within +/-20%. Subway, on the other hand, has mostly been priced at a premium compared to the US. Only when the SGD was really strong did prices start to approach parity.

Of course, comparing to Switzerland, prices of fast food (and restaurants in general) are almost double what they are here, so it probably makes living here seem dirt cheap.
The subways in the US aren’t just cheaper, they also sell a much larger variety of food - hotdogs and pizza, in addition to the usual soups, sandwiches and chips.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:52 pm

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 10 Aug 2022 11:01 am
I had the same thought when I read the above, NTUC is def not cheap, many neighborhood uncles lament to me about this, and also complained how puny the senior discount was… they said it was insulting, not worth bothering with, they even told me they would rather throw those few cents back at NTUC if they are so kiam siap hor!
I’m far from a senior but my dad has complained about the discount. Not only is it puny (2%, seriously?!) but it’s also only once a week (Tuesday if I remember correctly). Not a very sincere effort.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:55 pm

the observer wrote:
Sat, 13 Aug 2022 11:35 am
There’s always the warehouse at Joo Koon. ie NTUC warehouse club.

Supposedly cheaper.
Most of the stuff isn’t a lot cheaper actually, plus you need to pay for a membership. If it was like Costco where the savings more than made up for the cost of the membership, I’d be open to it but from what I’ve seen it doesn’t seem to be the case.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:56 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 14 Aug 2022 7:29 am
the observer wrote:
Sat, 13 Aug 2022 9:28 pm
the observer wrote:

Supposedly cheaper.
Took a trip there myself today.
Not everything is cheaper than other ntuc stores.
Most stuff is the same price from the few times I’ve gone there. The concept of offering discount for bulk purchases is just completely lost on retailers here, they can’t see past the profit per piece, and then they wonder why they can’t increase sales volume.

I only go during promotional periods which don’t require membership. The only thing that might be worth it is the Kirkland’s brand stuff they get from Cosco, not for the price but to gain access to it. But be warned, there really isn’t a whole lot of it.
Smart. I wish we had Costco like they did in the US, the full unadulterated version, not just whatever Kirkland products trickle into the warehouse store. Back in the US shopping at Costco is a real activity, there’s the food court for after you’re done shopping and every single week the products change so it’s always exciting.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 18 Aug 2022 6:01 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:48 pm
therat wrote:
malcontent wrote:

I found out from my daughter that the Mickey D’s in Unis and Polys here offer student discounts - not sure what exactly the discount is but it’s something like 20%.
That is true. My office isn’t too far from NTU and we used to go to the canteens at the school, everything is subsidized including McD and everyone enjoys that price, no ID required!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Thu, 18 Aug 2022 6:15 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:50 pm
malcontent wrote:
therat wrote:

Yes, I noticed the same. McD prices in Singapore have always tracked pretty close to the US. Depending what you compare, it is usually within +/-20%. Subway, on the other hand, has mostly been priced at a premium compared to the US. Only when the SGD was really strong did prices start to approach parity.

Of course, comparing to Switzerland, prices of fast food (and restaurants in general) are almost double what they are here, so it probably makes living here seem dirt cheap.
The subways in the US aren’t just cheaper, they also sell a much larger variety of food - hotdogs and pizza, in addition to the usual soups, sandwiches and chips.
It’s interesting, when I visit the US, I almost never go to McD or Subway, because there are so many better options. Last week I was there on a business trip, was in the middle of nowhere and McD was the only option at this exit, so I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese (they don’t call it that anymore, but I still do) and the meal came out to a full US$9. Not cheap. But they still have the value menu with items for $1, $2 & $3, so you decide - save or splurge. Taco Bell value menu gets you the most bang for your buck in my opinion - for around $2 you can still get a cheesy beef burrito and a free ice water. If I’m not too hungry, that does the trick.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 18 Aug 2022 9:06 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:55 pm
the observer wrote:

Supposedly cheaper.
Most of the stuff isn’t a lot cheaper actually, plus you need to pay for a membership. If it was like Costco where the savings more than made up for the cost of the membership, I’d be open to it but from what I’ve seen it doesn’t seem to be the case.
Originally the warehouse club had a really wide range of products over two floors with some good imported stuff. Then I guess some stupid Singapore manager decided to reduce the offerings to half a floor of mostly Chinese crap. It's not worth the membership now.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 18 Aug 2022 6:59 pm

Starbucks in educational institutions are also slightly cheaper than the stores outside. Just walk in and buy and you enjoy the price.

A pity the school canteens had to raise their prices twice this year. Once before the Ukraine war, and another after. 6 years ago I could have 6 pieces of yong tau fu with noodles in school for only $1.80. Now it’s almost $3. Still cheaper than outside though.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 19 Aug 2022 12:04 am

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 18 Aug 2022 6:01 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:48 pm
therat wrote:

That is true. My office isn’t too far from NTU and we used to go to the canteens at the school, everything is subsidized including McD and everyone enjoys that price, no ID required!
If I’m not mistaken, they’ve tightened up a bit when it comes to identity verification. If you don’t look like you belong there, you may be asked to show some ideas. Still, it’s worth the risk.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 19 Aug 2022 12:06 am

malcontent wrote:
Thu, 18 Aug 2022 6:15 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:50 pm
malcontent wrote:

It’s interesting, when I visit the US, I almost never go to McD or Subway, because there are so many better options. Last week I was there on a business trip, was in the middle of nowhere and McD was the only option at this exit, so I ordered a quarter pounder with cheese (they don’t call it that anymore, but I still do) and the meal came out to a full US$9. Not cheap. But they still have the value menu with items for $1, $2 & $3, so you decide - save or splurge. Taco Bell value menu gets you the most bang for your buck in my opinion - for around $2 you can still get a cheesy beef burrito and a free ice water. If I’m not too hungry, that does the trick.
$9? Seriously? That’s hardly affordable, for that price I’d go somewhere else. Taco Bell is delicious, but it never sits right with me, always gives me a stomach ache. I enjoy the black bean burritos and cheesy fiesta potatoes. They took the potatoes off the menu a while back but brought them back recently because there was so much demand for them. American fast food is just so much better than whatever we get here.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 19 Aug 2022 12:07 am

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 18 Aug 2022 9:06 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 17 Aug 2022 9:55 pm
the observer wrote:

Supposedly cheaper.
Originally the warehouse club had a really wide range of products over two floors with some good imported stuff. Then I guess some stupid Singapore manager decided to reduce the offerings to half a floor of mostly Chinese crap. It's not worth the membership now.
Seems to be the case in most supermarkets here. Now I wouldn’t visit unless they had one of those open days where they did not require a membership.

Return to “General Discussions”