Singapore Expats

Bringing my domestic worker to US for vacation

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
wendy.yew

Bringing my domestic worker to US for vacation

Post by wendy.yew » Mon, 28 Mar 2022 2:07 pm

Hello everyone, my family and I are planning to go to the USA for vacation and would like to bring our Filipino helper in Singapore along. I have checked the visa requirement and by right we should apply for a B-1 visa for my helper. But the B-1 application is so confusing and troublesome and I heard that the approval rate is relevantly low.

I wonder if anyone has successfully applied for a B-1 visa for their helper or by 'tourist visa' silently?

Or do you guys have any agency to recommend us to apply for a US visa for my helper?

Thank you in advance

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Bringing my domestic worker to US for vacation

Post by malcontent » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 2:18 am

My wife attempted this once back when our kids were small. It was promptly rejected. The US embassy used to have a notice stating that it is practically impossible get a visa for your helper and discouraged people from attempting it.

They have to presume the person has the intention to stay illegally in the US, and to overcome that presumption requires exceptionally strong ties here - financial, material, employment, family. They need to have a good enough life here that the idea of illegally immigrating would not be alluring. They don’t care who can vouch for her or how long she has worked for you. None of that matters. One thing that can help to a limited extent is an extensive record of travel history to similarly desirable countries. But the other stuff I mentioned is the bread and butter.

Being from the Philippines is already a black mark because the statistics show a large percentage from that country flout the rules.

Being a domestic helper is another black mark because people in these occupations have already demonstrated their willingness to move overseas for better opportunities.

Bottom line, the chances are effectively 0% and it is waste of time and money.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:03 pm

The only way it would happen is if the helper just happened to be a qualified nurse in the 'peens. An extremely high percentage of all nursing staff in the US at last count are from the 'peens (male and female nurses).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:03 pm
The only way it would happen is if the helper just happened to be a qualified nurse in the 'peens. An extremely high percentage of all nursing staff in the US at last count are from the 'peens (male and female nurses).
I read somewhere that 25% of all nurses in the world are Filipino. My brother married one that was working in Saudi. They found each other online in 2017, met in the PI in 2018, got the K1 visa and married in the US in 2019. They are happy together and have a 1yo girl who is absolutely adorable. She recently got a job at Pfizer (the main facility churning out the vaccines in the US) and makes double what he does.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:57 pm

Here is an excellent article by NatGeo on the US and Filipino nurses and backgrounds. There are over 500 nursing schools in the Philippines. There are an estimated 500,000 Filipino healthcare workers in the US currently.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/cult ... e-pandemic
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 31 Mar 2022 12:21 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:35 pm
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:03 pm
I read somewhere that 25% of all nurses in the world are Filipino. My brother married one that was working in Saudi. They found each other online in 2017, met in the PI in 2018, got the K1 visa and married in the US in 2019. They are happy together and have a 1yo girl who is absolutely adorable. She recently got a job at Pfizer (the main facility churning out the vaccines in the US) and makes double what he does.
I believe it. Most of the best nurses I’ve met have been filipina, warm and very knowledgeable.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 31 Mar 2022 12:23 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 2:18 am
My wife attempted this once back when our kids were small. It was promptly rejected. The US embassy used to have a notice stating that it is practically impossible get a visa for your helper and discouraged people from attempting it.

They have to presume the person has the intention to stay illegally in the US, and to overcome that presumption requires exceptionally strong ties here - financial, material, employment, family. They need to have a good enough life here that the idea of illegally immigrating would not be alluring. They don’t care who can vouch for her or how long she has worked for you. None of that matters. One thing that can help to a limited extent is an extensive record of travel history to similarly desirable countries. But the other stuff I mentioned is the bread and butter.

Being from the Philippines is already a black mark because the statistics show a large percentage from that country flout the rules.

Being a domestic helper is another black mark because people in these occupations have already demonstrated their willingness to move overseas for better opportunities.

Bottom line, the chances are effectively 0% and it is waste of time and money.
Agreed. We tried when our daughter was little and had no luck. Had to hire a part time nanny while we were there (live-in help is very uncommon).

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 31 Mar 2022 12:25 am

Wed, 30 Mar 2022 11:57 pm
Here is an excellent article by NatGeo on the US and Filipino nurses and backgrounds. There are over 500 nursing schools in the Philippines. There are an estimated 500,000 Filipino healthcare workers in the US currently.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/cult ... e-pandemic
They’ve found their niche and the world is better because of it. Nursing is an incredibly understaffed profession, and all the filipino nurses I’ve met have been lovely and great at their jobs. They also tend to speak great English which is why I think we see so many of them hired in SG.