Singapore Expats

Can I make my foreign child as Singapore Citizen?

Events and gatherings for the 40's Club
JadeStone

Can I make my foreign child as Singapore Citizen?

Post by JadeStone » Sat, 26 Mar 2022 7:07 pm

hi good day every one. i just wanna share my story and ask about my situation right now.
i had 2 wives 1 is Singaporean muslim i had 2 children with her and we still married and 1 is foreign we been married since 2017 in her home country but not declared in Singapore cos Singapore only honored 1 marriage and my foreign wife is currently pregnant is it possible that Singapore can make my baby as Singapore citizen? thanks for your opinion amd advices

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: Can I make my foreign child as Singapore Citizen?

Post by malcontent » Sat, 26 Mar 2022 10:08 pm

Generally bigamy is against the law here… you intending to claim the exemption under Syariah law?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 26 Mar 2022 11:22 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 26 Mar 2022 10:08 pm
Generally bigamy is against the law here… you intending to claim the exemption under Syariah law?
That’s allowed under Syariah law here?

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Sat, 26 Mar 2022 11:31 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Sat, 26 Mar 2022 11:22 pm
malcontent wrote:
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... e-answered
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:28 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 26 Mar 2022 11:31 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
malcontent wrote:
“has specific reasons such as benefits the first marriage cannot provide but the second marriage can. "In this context, love is not one of the benefits", says the Registry of Muslim Marriages on its website.” what benefits???

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:49 am

^ Children is one I'm guessing?

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 1:12 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:28 am
malcontent wrote:
Sat, 26 Mar 2022 11:31 pm
Lisafuller wrote:

“has specific reasons such as benefits the first marriage cannot provide but the second marriage can. "In this context, love is not one of the benefits", says the Registry of Muslim Marriages on its website.” what benefits???
You must not take another wife just because you fell out of love with the first. Instead, you marry the second wife because you can’t resist her and would commit adultery otherwise.

Others can correct me, but I believe this was also the practice documented in the Old Testament of the Bible as well.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 1:12 am

[duplicate post removed]

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 9:31 am

https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-ar ... singapore/

Polygynous marriage
A polygynous marriage is when a man has more than one wife. A Muslim man may marry up to 4 wives at a time. To marry another wife, the man must fill in an application for polygyny and submit it in person to the ROMM. A fee of $380 is payable per application.

To be eligible for a polygnous marriage, the husband must:

Be capable of providing for the financial, physical and emotional well-being of his wives;
Have a good marriage life and is not taking on another wife because he currently does not have a good marriage life; and
Have specific reasons for taking on another wife, for example, benefits that can be provided by a new marriage that the existing marriage(s) cannot provide. However, love cannot be one of such benefits.
The Kadi, a religious official who solemnises Muslim marriages, will review all applications. Upon reviewing, the Kadi will hold separate appointments with the husband, each of his existing wives and the proposed spouse and take signed statements from each party.

From these statements and evidence provided by all parties, the Kadi will make a written judgment. This judgment will be posted to the man, with copies sent to his existing wives and proposed spouse.

If the marriage has been approved, an application for registration may then be made.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 7:26 pm

Isn’t one wife enough of a challenge?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 31 Mar 2022 12:12 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 7:26 pm
Isn’t one wife enough of a challenge?
Even as a woman I believe this is true hahaha.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 31 Mar 2022 12:12 am

smoulder wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:49 am
So if the first wife was infertile?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 31 Mar 2022 12:13 am

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 1:12 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:28 am
You must not take another wife just because you fell out of love with the first. Instead, you marry the second wife because you can’t resist her and would commit adultery otherwise.

Others can correct me, but I believe this was also the practice documented in the Old Testament of the Bible as well.
Right but would sharing your affections not in some way be falling out of love with the first wife?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 31 Mar 2022 12:14 am

therat wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 9:31 am
https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-ar ... singapore/

Polygynous marriage
A polygynous marriage is when a man has more than one wife. A Muslim man may marry up to 4 wives at a time. To marry another wife, the man must fill in an application for polygyny and submit it in person to the ROMM. A fee of $380 is payable per application.

To be eligible for a polygnous marriage, the husband must:

Be capable of providing for the financial, physical and emotional well-being of his wives;
Have a good marriage life and is not taking on another wife because he currently does not have a good marriage life; and
Have specific reasons for taking on another wife, for example, benefits that can be provided by a new marriage that the existing marriage(s) cannot provide. However, love cannot be one of such benefits.
The Kadi, a religious official who solemnises Muslim marriages, will review all applications. Upon reviewing, the Kadi will hold separate appointments with the husband, each of his existing wives and the proposed spouse and take signed statements from each party.

From these statements and evidence provided by all parties, the Kadi will make a written judgment. This judgment will be posted to the man, with copies sent to his existing wives and proposed spouse.

If the marriage has been approved, an application for registration may then be made.
Find it hard to imagine there are people here who actually do this, I’ve NEVER met a man with multiple wives in all my years here.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Thu, 31 Mar 2022 1:29 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 31 Mar 2022 12:12 am
smoulder wrote:
Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:49 am
So if the first wife was infertile?
Maybe.