Singapore Expats

Regular vaccinations for children

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
Post Reply
Hammy1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 3:07 am

Regular vaccinations for children

Post by Hammy1 » Fri, 25 Mar 2022 3:55 am

Hi - looking to see is anyone has solved an issue we have that is holding up our relocation to Singapore from Europe. Out youngest son is 1 yrs old and has had all the vaccinations stipulated here but in order to get the necessary HPB approvals , the Singapore authorities have requested he have his diphtheria, tetanus booster plus his 2nd MMR jab.

So we approached our local GP who has said no he won’t provide these vaccinations as in this country we don’t provide for approx another 18 months time.

We ve tried to see if we can obtain the vaccinations privately but not getting any success there. So as it stands we are stuck in limbo. Anyone have any suggestions to overcome this issue gratefully received.

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 8:50 pm
Answers: 1
Location: East Coast

Re: Regular vaccinations for children

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 25 Mar 2022 10:32 am

Hammy1 wrote:
Fri, 25 Mar 2022 3:55 am
Hi - looking to see is anyone has solved an issue we have that is holding up our relocation to Singapore from Europe. Out youngest son is 1 yrs old and has had all the vaccinations stipulated here but in order to get the necessary HPB approvals , the Singapore authorities have requested he have his diphtheria, tetanus booster plus his 2nd MMR jab.

So we approached our local GP who has said no he won’t provide these vaccinations as in this country we don’t provide for approx another 18 months time.

We ve tried to see if we can obtain the vaccinations privately but not getting any success there. So as it stands we are stuck in limbo. Anyone have any suggestions to overcome this issue gratefully received.
Have you applied from HPB and it failed, or are you assuming because your list doesn't met the requirements to the letter? If not try first.

Not sure which European country you are from, but those are all part of the national children's vaccination program, pretty similar to Singapore's, but yes the local newish vaccination program seems to be a bit more aggressive than most countries. There though might be some different sequence. Especially with the MMR 2nd Dose.

Here's a tool where you can compare the different vaccination schedules per country, which might be useful for looking for options:
https://vaccine-schedule.ecdc.europa.eu/
Germany and Luxembourg seem to have similar to Singapore schedules.

Look and compare to Singapore's requirement here: https://www.moh.gov.sg/resources-statis ... d-vaccines

Then contact a clinic there and do a short trip if possible. Obviously discuss with a doctor 1st etc disclaimers are here.

MMR might really be the trouble though, I think

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 8:50 pm
Answers: 1
Location: East Coast

Re: Regular vaccinations for children

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 25 Mar 2022 10:34 am

Sorry it was Lichtenstein not Luxembourg, and possibly France for the MMR. but well good luck.

Hope the 1st option would work for you though.

User avatar
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2674
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Answers: 8
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: Regular vaccinations for children

Post by malcontent » Fri, 25 Mar 2022 1:39 pm

I have to believe that the HPB would grant you an exception if you can provide hard evidence on this policy from your government and/or have it on a signed letter from your doctor.

That is what I would try if you really have no other easy options like crossing the border to get it done (I see that many European countries do prescribe MMR at 12 months and below, but a handful are 15 months and above, mostly Scandinavian).
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Regular vaccinations for children

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Mar 2022 7:41 pm

Appeal to HPB, if you are able to provide documentation there should be no issue granting you exemption, you’ll probably just have to have your child get the vaccines once here.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Regular vaccinations for children

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Mar 2022 7:43 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 25 Mar 2022 1:39 pm
I have to believe that the HPB would grant you an exception if you can provide hard evidence on this policy from your government and/or have it on a signed letter from your doctor.

That is what I would try if you really have no other easy options like crossing the border to get it done (I see that many European countries do prescribe MMR at 12 months and below, but a handful are 15 months and above, mostly Scandinavian).
Crossing the border just for a vaccine hardly seems practical, although it may be necessary if OP is unable to obtain hard proof of such a policy + documents to substantiate the fact that the child was denied the vaccines.

Hammy1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 3:07 am

Re: Regular vaccinations for children

Post by Hammy1 » Sat, 26 Mar 2022 4:14 am

Thank you all for your quick responses. Really appreciated. We have submitted the form to the HPB and fingers crossed we will get a good response if not we will try private clinics over here.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Regular vaccinations for children

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 26 Mar 2022 8:15 am

Government policy on vaccination should usually be accessible online from MOH resources.

GP explanation letter should be sought, outlining why they cannot give the vaccine.

Another option is to contact some of the Pharma companies through local website for their take on it too. GSK, MSD, Pfizer etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Regular vaccinations for children

Post by BBCDoc » Sat, 26 Mar 2022 8:16 am

Another option is to contact some of the Pharma companies through local website for their take on it too. GSK, MSD, Pfizer etc.

- if you go this route, asking a GP to help write the enquiry usually elicits a faster and more precise response.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Regular vaccinations for children

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 26 Mar 2022 11:23 pm

Hammy1 wrote:
Sat, 26 Mar 2022 4:14 am
Thank you all for your quick responses. Really appreciated. We have submitted the form to the HPB and fingers crossed we will get a good response if not we will try private clinics over here.
Best of luck. If it doesn’t work you might have to go through a private route or get your child vaccinated abroad.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Regular vaccinations for children

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 26 Mar 2022 11:25 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Sat, 26 Mar 2022 8:15 am
Government policy on vaccination should usually be accessible online from MOH resources.

GP explanation letter should be sought, outlining why they cannot give the vaccine.

Another option is to contact some of the Pharma companies through local website for their take on it too. GSK, MSD, Pfizer etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would anyone at the pharm companies even be qualified to respond? I’m not sure an email would be enough of a justification.

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Regular vaccinations for children

Post by BBCDoc » Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:29 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
BBCDoc wrote:
Sat, 26 Mar 2022 8:15 am
Government policy on vaccination should usually be accessible online from MOH resources.

GP explanation letter should be sought, outlining why they cannot give the vaccine.

Another option is to contact some of the Pharma companies through local website for their take on it too. GSK, MSD, Pfizer etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would anyone at the pharm companies even be qualified to respond? I’m not sure an email would be enough of a justification.
They have medical affairs and government affairs people in most countries.

Global Pharma is very very powerful


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 11:21 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Regular vaccinations for children

Post by BBCDoc » Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:33 pm

In Singapore, official travel clinics can offer vaccines outside of schedule if necessary for travel.

Worth checking if you have any travel clinics in your home country, and see if you can get from there?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6244
Joined: Sat, 07 Nov 2020 11:45 pm
Answers: 3

Re: Regular vaccinations for children

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 27 Mar 2022 8:13 pm

BBCDoc wrote:
Sun, 27 Mar 2022 12:29 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
BBCDoc wrote:
Sat, 26 Mar 2022 8:15 am
Government policy on vaccination should usually be accessible online from MOH resources.

GP explanation letter should be sought, outlining why they cannot give the vaccine.

Another option is to contact some of the Pharma companies through local website for their take on it too. GSK, MSD, Pfizer etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would anyone at the pharm companies even be qualified to respond? I’m not sure an email would be enough of a justification.
They have medical affairs and government affairs people in most countries.

Global Pharma is very very powerful


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahh, you do have a point.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest