Singapore Expats Forum

Entry-Level Opportunites

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

langan

Entry-Level Opportunites

Postby langan » Sun, 03 Apr 2005 4:28 pm

Hi, I'm graduating from UCLA this spring and was curious how difficult it is to secure sponsorship from a company at the entry-level (I'm an American). I'm interested in working in the Asia-Pacific region in the future, and I figure Singapore will be a good place to start being that I studied abroad there my junior year of college (so I'm familiar with the area), my Mandarin speaking is good but not great, and it does a plethora of business with the PRC. If anyone has any tips on how to get into consulting, marketing, or another related field any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

langan

Postby langan » Sun, 03 Apr 2005 4:32 pm

Also would it be ill-advised for me to try to establish myself in Singapore, then acquire a job? Or would it be recommended I apply beforehand? I guess the better question would be, if I didn't get any responses prior to leaving, should I feel more or less hopeless?

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 03 Apr 2005 6:17 pm

It will be very difficult for you to get an entry level job. Employment passes (EP's) are only granted to companies by the immigration service if they can demonstrate that they cannot find the skills they need locally. Clearly, there are lots of fresh graduates who speak Mandarin who live here and do not need an EP to get hired.

As an American you get 90 days on a social pass visit, and you can leave the country (to Malaysia or Indonesia) for the day and get 90 days, for up to about a year. But, you cannot work, open a bank account, rent a flat, etc., without an EP.

You'd be better off I believe hooking up with a firm in the States with an eye to getting transferred over here, or trying your luck in getting to China.