Singapore Expats

Mini Gas BBQ

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Mini Gas BBQ

Post by abbby » Tue, 22 Mar 2022 8:18 pm

Can anyone recommend a gas BBQ preferably a small set..will BBQing in the balcony annoy the neighbours?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Mini Gas BBQ

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Mar 2022 10:17 am

Yes, it probably will. Most view the fumes akin to passive smoking. You are asking for trouble. Check with the condo Mgmt on their views. There may already be something in the bylaws for the estate with that regard.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:03 am

abbby wrote:
Tue, 22 Mar 2022 8:18 pm
Can anyone recommend a gas BBQ preferably a small set..will BBQing in the balcony annoy the neighbours?

Small Weber, like the Q1200 series:
https://www.cookaburra.com.sg/product/w ... gas-grill/

Not the cheapest but probably the best in it's size category. I got bigger, but friends and relatives have had those when staying with limited space, no complaints.

Whining neighbors is an unlimited resource, you cook curry they complain, you anything different then the neighbor they might complain, so I wouldn't worry about that if it is not specifically banned in by-laws (usually it is not). I mean of course polite not to start a semi professional smokers house on your balcony to slow cook beef brisket for hours on daily basis.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Wed, 23 Mar 2022 5:10 pm

The weber grill looks really good and compact.
I'll have a look at the by-laws..I would think most management allow gas bbq (as opposed to charcoal)? I see quite a lot of people having their bbq grills in the balconies. I think you're probably right provenpracticalflexible by laws might not state that it's banned.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Mar 2022 5:13 pm

By all means, buy first before checking. Most sensible thing to do, yeah?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 23 Mar 2022 7:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wed, 23 Mar 2022 5:13 pm
It’s not as if complaining is a cherished national pastime here😳.

My condo has some full timers, they are retired and it’s all they do… they even make scheduled rounds to find things to complain about! I wish I was joking, but this is not conjecture… some have admitted it, to our face!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:34 pm

no, i'll check first before buying..and assess the the neighbours first..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Mar 2022 2:29 pm

abbby wrote:
Wed, 23 Mar 2022 11:34 pm
no, i'll check first before buying..and assess the the neighbours first..
My response earlier I forgot to include.....
tongueincheek.jpg

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 24 Mar 2022 4:14 pm

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 23 Mar 2022 7:28 pm

My condo has some full timers, they are retired and it’s all they do… they even make scheduled rounds to find things to complain about! I wish I was joking, but this is not conjecture… some have admitted it, to our face!
Got some of those too. The best of them like to take pictures as evidence and share in whatsapp groups and complain why security and management doesn't do anything. Obviously when AGM comes they attend to complain about everything, but never step up to join council. And of course against any spending of extra money or higher maintenance fees. I used to get annoyed but nowadays just ignore them.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Mar 2022 7:45 pm

malcontent wrote:

Same here! It’s really quite annoying… in my condo we have a condo-wide whatsapp group chat in addition to the icondo app. there are a couple older residents with too much time on their hands who send a whole list of complaints DAILY. They complain too much to keep up and honestly I’m tired of it. Just can’t be bothered to do anything about it.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Mar 2022 7:46 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Thu, 24 Mar 2022 4:14 pm
malcontent wrote:

Got some of those too. The best of them like to take pictures as evidence and share in whatsapp groups and complain why security and management doesn't do anything. Obviously when AGM comes they attend to complain about everything, but never step up to join council. And of course against any spending of extra money or higher maintenance fees. I used to get annoyed but nowadays just ignore them.
YES! The worst are those who complain and complain but refuse to step up and serve when given the opportunity. With so much time on their hands to complain, why not get off their behind and do something about it?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Mar 2022 7:48 pm

Wed, 23 Mar 2022 10:17 am
Yes, it probably will. Most view the fumes akin to passive smoking. You are asking for trouble. Check with the condo Mgmt on their views. There may already be something in the bylaws for the estate with that regard.
More than the fact that it may be against condo rules, it’s just not a very considerate thing to do. I recall there being a thread a couple months back from a poster in a similar predicament, except he had already purchased the grill and was being complained about.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Mar 2022 7:49 pm

abbby wrote:
Tue, 22 Mar 2022 8:18 pm
Have you considered a smokeless grill? Does not impart the same flavor to the meat but it’s a nice compromise that allows you to barbecue in your own home without worrying about complaints.