Singapore Expats

PR Expired without Renounce

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Btlc93

PR Expired without Renounce

Post by Btlc93 » Sat, 19 Mar 2022 12:24 pm

Hey guys, may I ask if one's 2nd generation PR expired without re-entry permit ever since 6 years old but without renunciation done by the main PR (father) until age of 24, when is he no longer consider a PR, and if there's NS liability? Considering one did not grew up and study in Singapore, nor was he issued a passport and NRIC.

Thank you.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Re: PR Expired without Renounce

Post by malcontent » Sat, 19 Mar 2022 5:06 pm

Here is my take:
PR does not expire.
NS liability does not expire.
REP expiry has no impact on the above.
Formal renunciation *was* the way.
Expect expensive fines/jail to resolve.
Alternatively, never enter SG again, ever.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR Expired without Renounce

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Mar 2022 7:03 pm

Unless the proper protocols were followed when just before the child reached 13 years of age (possibly 11 years as it was previously. I forget when they came out with biometric passports. Then, at the age of 24, (actually 17) the child would have become an NS defaulter. Stepping foot in Singapore (coming through immigration) will make you liable for heavy fines, jail terms and NS after all is finished. You can thank your idiot parents for sabo'ing your future, at least in Singapore. Even if you were on a plane without a scheduled stop in Singapore but due to weather, or mechanical malfunctions, and had to divert to Singapore, if you were brought through immigration on a foreign passport which shows place of birth as Singapore it will possibly be flagged to be pulled out of the queue and into a small office. All the main databases are now linked (Military, birth & deaths, Medical, Schooling, Immigration & the Tax department) and it is very easy to have a standing query that only takes seconds to processes. They have a name, DOB, ethnicity. with only 30K births a year, means only 15K males. A quick query of births and deaths registered for a given race with a given dob that had not legally immigrated or otherwise given up there PR properly might only produce one or two on any given day at the most that had NOT done NS as required by law. It is too easy to get pickced up since around 5 years ago since they linked all the mainframes up together to catch virtually anybody who evaded NS. In addition, while it doesn't matter so much with that much space of time, their facial recognition software is among the best in the world as well. Oh, they wouldn't stop you from entering Singapore, they would let you through and then arrest you on the spot. Don't play-play. Seriously.

Do a search of the Strictly Speaking sub-forum under the General Forum. It's been discussed for years in there and you will also find guidelines for getting around NS "legally" and how hard and tricky it is even if still young enough to do it legally. It is, arguably, the best collection of evidence and articles to be found on that particular subject anywhere online. Look for posts by 'Mad Scientist' in particular. It's probably best to stay on your side of the causeway.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers