Singapore Expats

Remote working in Singapore for my home country

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
morrie

Remote working in Singapore for my home country

Post by morrie » Wed, 16 Mar 2022 1:35 pm

Hello I've been seen several topics around this question- but couldn't find exact answer to my situation...

I'm planning to move to Singapore with my Husband (EP), with DP pass.
My current company in Japan is letting me remote work in Singapore, as long as I clear all legal aspects.

Is my understanding below correct, for tax payment related?

- Income tax: Should I pay income tax in Japan, or apply for income tax payment in Singapore? My income will be calculated in Japan (with all social insurance related deducted), and paid to my Japanese bank account.
- Residential tax: I understand there is none in Singapore

Thank you for your support :)
by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 17 Mar 2022 5:39 am
morrie wrote:
Wed, 16 Mar 2022 1:35 pm
Hello I've been seen several topics around this question- but couldn't find exact answer to my situation...

My current company in Japan is letting me remote work in Singapore, as long as I clear all legal aspects.

- Income tax: Should I pay income tax in Japan, or apply for income tax payment in Singapore? My income will be calculated in Japan (with all social insurance related deducted), and paid to my Japanese bank account.

Sorry, but the information you have been given is wrong on multiple counts.

1. Your Japanese company must have no legal presence in Singapore nor servicing any Singapore based clients, or you must get a Singapore work permit, from the Singapore company, to work in Singapore.

2. Assuming that your company has no legal presence in Singapore, you can work remotely for it without the need for a work permit.

3. Regardless of whether you need to obtain a work permit or not, you are resident in Singapore, and thus tax resident, and pay tax at the resident rate in Singapore, and you should have no tax liability in Japan (but verify this).

4. It doesn't matter where you're paid from. It doesn't matter which bank you use. It doesn't matter what currency you're paid in. You are earning the money while in Singapore and that makes you tax resident.
Go to full post

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: Remote working in Singapore for my home country

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 17 Mar 2022 5:39 am

morrie wrote:
Wed, 16 Mar 2022 1:35 pm

Sorry, but the information you have been given is wrong on multiple counts.

1. Your Japanese company must have no legal presence in Singapore nor servicing any Singapore based clients, or you must get a Singapore work permit, from the Singapore company, to work in Singapore.

2. Assuming that your company has no legal presence in Singapore, you can work remotely for it without the need for a work permit.

3. Regardless of whether you need to obtain a work permit or not, you are resident in Singapore, and thus tax resident, and pay tax at the resident rate in Singapore, and you should have no tax liability in Japan (but verify this).

4. It doesn't matter where you're paid from. It doesn't matter which bank you use. It doesn't matter what currency you're paid in. You are earning the money while in Singapore and that makes you tax resident.