Singapore Expats

Island Fever

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Island Fever

Post by malcontent » Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:50 am

We have now passed the 2 year mark since lockdowns and restrictions began. What things have you found to be most effective at relieving the effects of Island fever?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Island Fever

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 14 Mar 2022 12:53 pm

Flying away for work. I've done 100 days out of the country in two years and leave April 1 for another 11.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 20 Mar 2022 2:26 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 14 Mar 2022 12:53 pm
Flying away for work. I've done 100 days out of the country in two years and leave April 1 for another 11.
Damn… wish that was me. Haven’t been out of the country in like 2.5 years.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 20 Mar 2022 2:27 am

Best thing for me has been staycations. Still worlds away from traveling overseas, but it’s something.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 20 Mar 2022 9:50 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 20 Mar 2022 2:26 am
PNGMK wrote:
2.1 years for me… but that last trip out of SG was more visitation than a vacation - cny 2020, just before covid lockdowns.

One thing that has helped me deal with it is cycling — the Green Corridor all the way to the end of Rifle Range Road and Alexandra linear park all the way to the Flyer are two my favs, and I didn’t even know about them pre-Covid.

Last weekend my son and I tried the BT trail around Bukit Timah hill. It was our first time trying real mountain biking, we were flopping around the trail like a fish out of water, but at least we made it a quarter of the way until the quarry/rail mall turn out.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sun, 20 Mar 2022 10:34 am

Helps having young kids that can enjoy the things SG had to offer during lockdown.

Cycling has been essential to me.

My nieces and nephews have their noses buried in devices, not much engagement on their side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by ProvenPracticalFlexible » Sun, 20 Mar 2022 10:29 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 14 Mar 2022 10:50 am
We have now passed the 2 year mark since lockdowns and restrictions began. What things have you found to be most effective at relieving the effects of Island fever?
Last year it was a few cruises to nowhere etc. Now it all VTL, every school holiday I take my chances and we travel.

During worst times did ferry to Pulau Ubin etc desperate moves, but yes it was an awful 2 years.

Winston1997

Post by Winston1997 » Wed, 23 Mar 2022 3:49 pm

Flew Singapore Air from Singapore to Dubai the second week of March. Left on a Monday to Dubai flight that was 80 per cent full on an A 350-900.

Friday night Dubai to Singapore was totally sold out in all classes.

Very few passengers were traveling to or from jobs. We were on flight to visit the Expo that closes March 31rst.

We took the Sin to JFK flight in December. The only problem with the long haul and the Dubai run was the same. A marked decrease in food quality offered. Crew was great and so was aircraft. Instead of book the chef they need to fire the chef and rework what they are offering.

The Expo was excellent and so was the Newy opened museum of the future.

Immigration at Dubai was easy. Two lines. One for vaccinated and one for PCR tested

Return to Changi had a few more steps at immigration but went quickly.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Mar 2022 7:51 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 20 Mar 2022 9:50 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Sun, 20 Mar 2022 2:26 am
PNGMK wrote:
2.1 years for me… but that last trip out of SG was more visitation than a vacation - cny 2020, just before covid lockdowns.

One thing that has helped me deal with it is cycling — the Green Corridor all the way to the end of Rifle Range Road and Alexandra linear park all the way to the Flyer are two my favs, and I didn’t even know about them pre-Covid.

Last weekend my son and I tried the BT trail around Bukit Timah hill. It was our first time trying real mountain biking, we were flopping around the trail like a fish out of water, but at least we made it a quarter of the way until the quarry/rail mall turn out.
Same, last “vacation” was more of a visitation. Went to Miami to visit family for 2 months, was nice to see everyone but I don’t really consider it a vacation since it’s more like going home.

the observer
Reporter
Reporter

Post by the observer » Sat, 26 Mar 2022 12:00 am

Will be taking driving trips up to Malaysia in the coming months, rather than regional flights.

With the causeway/2nd link borders open, and not requiring any tests at all, at the very least there’s zero chance of being stranded and being barred from boarding airplanes if one turns out to be covid +ve.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 26 Mar 2022 11:27 pm

the observer wrote:
Sat, 26 Mar 2022 12:00 am
Will be taking driving trips up to Malaysia in the coming months, rather than regional flights.

With the causeway/2nd link borders open, and not requiring any tests at all, at the very least there’s zero chance of being stranded and being barred from boarding airplanes if one turns out to be covid +ve.
Yup, looking forward to finally getting to go on weekend trips to Malaysia for cheap meals.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Sun, 27 Mar 2022 3:17 pm

lol don't bother much on me, I quite a homely guy prefer to stay at home.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 27 Mar 2022 9:59 pm

For me the effect has been opposite. I have got so used to staying at home that I dont even feeling like taking an overseas vacation or go back home.

I mean, this could vary from person to person, but in the past it was like if you have leaves you are supposed to go for vacation. It was like a norm an unwritten rule. So whether we liked it or not, we would plan something research something, almost like a ritual.

But now after staying at home for 2 years, it feels perfectly fine. I am now debating/questioning, why do we even need a vacation? I am taking all my leaves, I am watching netflix at home, having beer, having all the fun. I aint missing nothing.

In fact, no thanks to all the VTL, PCR, ART, SMH, crap, going on vacation now feels like an adventure. In the past all you had to do is make sure you have your passport, visa and your flight ticket, thats all. Now with all these extra burden, no thank you, I am happy at home.

They better remove all restrictions, I mean ALL! Only then I may consider going to Changi. Until them I am absolutely happy at my home :)

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Sun, 27 Mar 2022 10:40 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Sun, 27 Mar 2022 9:59 pm
For me the effect has been opposite. I have got so used to staying at home that I dont even feeling like taking an overseas vacation or go back home.

I mean, this could vary from person to person, but in the past it was like if you have leaves you are supposed to go for vacation. It was like a norm an unwritten rule. So whether we liked it or not, we would plan something research something, almost like a ritual.

But now after staying at home for 2 years, it feels perfectly fine. I am now debating/questioning, why do we even need a vacation? I am taking all my leaves, I am watching netflix at home, having beer, having all the fun. I aint missing nothing.

In fact, no thanks to all the VTL, PCR, ART, SMH, crap, going on vacation now feels like an adventure. In the past all you had to do is make sure you have your passport, visa and your flight ticket, thats all. Now with all these extra burden, no thank you, I am happy at home.

They better remove all restrictions, I mean ALL! Only then I may consider going to Changi. Until them I am absolutely happy at my home :)
Haha. Fully agree with you. Partial restrictions still sounds very intimidating. The only way I'm traveling now is if it is absolutely necessary which is not really for the sake of leisure. Really hope that all restrictions are removed soon.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:30 am

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 27 Mar 2022 10:40 pm
Haha. Fully agree with you. Partial restrictions still sounds very intimidating. The only way I'm traveling now is if it is absolutely necessary which is not really for the sake of leisure. Really hope that all restrictions are removed soon.
yeah, travelling with kids is not easy even without these restrictions. In Singapore, everythings is so clean our immune system is not really upto it. Especially our kids if they are born and brought up here. During the last 2 trips, one was at Krabi and other in India both times my daughter fell sick, food poisoning, have heard the same thing about couple of colleagues kids getting affected too. Now with all these restrictions and virus floating around, seriously is vacation really a vacation? The last 2 years touch wood, after wearing those masks, I, my wife and daughter didnt even get the common cold. Social distancing is awesome. The work from home to top it up. The last 2 years have probably been a dream come true. What island fever are you guys talking about?