Singapore Expats

Island Fever

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Island Fever

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 28 Mar 2022 8:26 am

Clearly countries have realised that they have to drop the PDT (Pre Departure Testing) if they want travellers coming back as no one wants to be stranded. That was the last hurdle for me and it seems to be going.

I agree with WD40 in part that is has been a relief not to travel so much.

Do you all remember how blue the sky was during the CB?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:19 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 14 Mar 2022 12:53 pm
Flying away for work. I've done 100 days out of the country in two years and leave April 1 for another 11.
In my last 18 months in Singapore, I flew 89 times... at least... I've got the stubs for 89 flights. The majority of trips were my at least weekly trips to KL and back, punctuated by trips around APAC, down to Oz once in a while, Manila a few times, out to Mumbai, east to Hong Kong, Seoul and Tokyo.

On the one hand, it was great to see so much of Asia, on the other, I could catch a taxi, check in at T2, and board my plane blind folded and saturated with single malt scotch. I miss Singapore.

And, why not a few trips on the KLIA Ekspres

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:19 pm

Geez, that seems like more time in the air than on the ground!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 28 Mar 2022 9:00 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Sun, 27 Mar 2022 3:17 pm
lol don't bother much on me, I quite a homely guy prefer to stay at home.
Still, its nice to have the option, no?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 28 Mar 2022 9:01 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:19 am
PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 14 Mar 2022 12:53 pm
Flying away for work. I've done 100 days out of the country in two years and leave April 1 for another 11.
In my last 18 months in Singapore, I flew 89 times... at least... I've got the stubs for 89 flights. The majority of trips were my at least weekly trips to KL and back, punctuated by trips around APAC, down to Oz once in a while, Manila a few times, out to Mumbai, east to Hong Kong, Seoul and Tokyo.

On the one hand, it was great to see so much of Asia, on the other, I could catch a taxi, check in at T2, and board my plane blind folded and saturated with single malt scotch. I miss Singapore.

And, why not a few trips on the KLIA Ekspres

Oh my goodness, you must have a TON of miles. That’s probably the number of flights I’ve taken in a decade.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 28 Mar 2022 9:02 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 28 Mar 2022 8:26 am
Clearly countries have realised that they have to drop the PDT (Pre Departure Testing) if they want travellers coming back as no one wants to be stranded. That was the last hurdle for me and it seems to be going.

I agree with WD40 in part that is has been a relief not to travel so much.

Do you all remember how blue the sky was during the CB?
Yes, pollution went down, carbon emissions as well. Seemed like we gave Mother Earth a much needed break.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 28 Mar 2022 9:05 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Sun, 27 Mar 2022 9:59 pm
For me the effect has been opposite. I have got so used to staying at home that I dont even feeling like taking an overseas vacation or go back home.

I mean, this could vary from person to person, but in the past it was like if you have leaves you are supposed to go for vacation. It was like a norm an unwritten rule. So whether we liked it or not, we would plan something research something, almost like a ritual.

But now after staying at home for 2 years, it feels perfectly fine. I am now debating/questioning, why do we even need a vacation? I am taking all my leaves, I am watching netflix at home, having beer, having all the fun. I aint missing nothing.

In fact, no thanks to all the VTL, PCR, ART, SMH, crap, going on vacation now feels like an adventure. In the past all you had to do is make sure you have your passport, visa and your flight ticket, thats all. Now with all these extra burden, no thank you, I am happy at home.

They better remove all restrictions, I mean ALL! Only then I may consider going to Changi. Until them I am absolutely happy at my home :)
You’re right, at some point planning for the trip feels more like a chore. There’s nothing wrong with just spending AL days lazing around, frankly sometimes it can offer more rest than being on vacation where you feel pressured to be out and abut all day to make the most of the trip.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 28 Mar 2022 9:06 pm

smoulder wrote:
Sun, 27 Mar 2022 10:40 pm
Wd40 wrote:
For me the effect has been opposite. I have got so used to staying at home that I dont even feeling like taking an overseas vacation or go back home.

I mean, this could vary from person to person, but in the past it was like if you have leaves you are supposed to go for vacation. It was like a norm an unwritten rule. So whether we liked it or not, we would plan something research something, almost like a ritual.

But now after staying at home for 2 years, it feels perfectly fine. I am now debating/questioning, why do we even need a vacation? I am taking all my leaves, I am watching netflix at home, having beer, having all the fun. I aint missing nothing.

In fact, no thanks to all the VTL, PCR, ART, SMH, crap, going on vacation now feels like an adventure. In the past all you had to do is make sure you have your passport, visa and your flight ticket, thats all. Now with all these extra burden, no thank you, I am happy at home.

They better remove all restrictions, I mean ALL! Only then I may consider going to Changi. Until them I am absolutely happy at my home :)
Haha. Fully agree with you. Partial restrictions still sounds very intimidating. The only way I'm traveling now is if it is absolutely necessary which is not really for the sake of leisure. Really hope that all restrictions are removed soon.
It’s not too intimidating, my only fear is if they go back on their decision to lift restrictions and I find myself stranded/spending a bomb to get home.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:16 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 28 Mar 2022 9:00 pm
SGBoyxxx wrote:
well do you believe you furthest I been to is Aust Rockhampton for SAF training.
The nearest is just JB in MY.

than later no more. I don't know I feel nothing special come travelling
just the difference is the culture, the surroundings of the country.
but one thing still the same, eat , drink , sleep

Perhaps due to internet i see those livecam of various countries I feel just another city areas etc.
Maybe that why those seasonal travellers like to backbag travel more in depth a country , live like the locals to understand more in depth.

well summary as mention perhaps i used to it , I'm a homely guy :D

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:29 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 28 Mar 2022 9:01 pm
Oh my goodness, you must have a TON of miles. That’s probably the number of flights I’ve taken in a decade.
1. Not many miles to be had between SIN and KUL, unfortunately. 55 minute trip. Got several hundred thousand miles total but nothing near the million miles that some extreme flyers have.

2. I did collect many miles. Used almost all of them bringing my daughter and granddaughter and their friends over to Asia, and for Christmas trips home. We used the last of our miles to fly out to Singapore and Bali in 2018 to celebrate our 40th anniversary.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 29 Mar 2022 9:24 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 28 Mar 2022 9:06 pm
smoulder wrote:
Wd40 wrote:

Haha. Fully agree with you. Partial restrictions still sounds very intimidating. The only way I'm traveling now is if it is absolutely necessary which is not really for the sake of leisure. Really hope that all restrictions are removed soon.
It’s not too intimidating, my only fear is if they go back on their decision to lift restrictions and I find myself stranded/spending a bomb to get home.
Yeah, that's the fear. You are a PR/citizen right? So for you it is not so bad. Imagine the average expat is an EP holder, we could be stranded and we have no family ties lane, here to come back.

This pandemic has really made the differentiation between PR/Citizen and EP holders. We are not the same and it has made us realize even more how temporary and disposable we are over here, inspite of living here for 13 years.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Tue, 29 Mar 2022 10:06 am

Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 29 Mar 2022 9:24 am
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:

Yeah, that's the fear. You are a PR/citizen right? So for you it is not so bad. Imagine the average expat is an EP holder, we could be stranded and we have no family ties lane, here to come back.

This pandemic has really made the differentiation between PR/Citizen and EP holders. We are not the same and it has made us realize even more how temporary and disposable we are over here, inspite of living here for 13 years.
Till I had my PR approved, I was very jittery despite the fact that my wife is a citizen. It didn't help that I would read and hear stories about people who have been here for a while and couldn't get their PR or citizenship approved. And I'm not talking about desi IT /finance sector guys, I'm talking about Malaysian Chinese who studied here from primary school. I can understand that feeling quite well.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Tue, 29 Mar 2022 7:36 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Tue, 29 Mar 2022 9:24 am
Lisafuller wrote:
smoulder wrote:

I know one expat, French passport, here for 7 years and making $6k+ and was downgraded from EP to S pass. He took the hint and made for the exit door, now has an even better job in Geneva. I’d say Singapore did him a favor.

Stay here too long, you can end up with frog in the well syndrome, and not even realize it.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:14 am

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:16 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 28 Mar 2022 9:00 pm
SGBoyxxx wrote:
well do you believe you furthest I been to is Aust Rockhampton for SAF training.
The nearest is just JB in MY.

than later no more. I don't know I feel nothing special come travelling
just the difference is the culture, the surroundings of the country.
but one thing still the same, eat , drink , sleep

Perhaps due to internet i see those livecam of various countries I feel just another city areas etc.
Maybe that why those seasonal travellers like to backbag travel more in depth a country , live like the locals to understand more in depth.

well summary as mention perhaps i used to it , I'm a homely guy :D
I see, I’m quite the opposite. I get cabin fever if I don’t take at least one or two vacations a year, so you can only imagine how antsy I’ve been since the start of the pandemic.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:15 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:29 pm
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 28 Mar 2022 9:01 pm
1. Not many miles to be had between SIN and KUL, unfortunately. 55 minute trip. Got several hundred thousand miles total but nothing near the million miles that some extreme flyers have.

2. I did collect many miles. Used almost all of them bringing my daughter and granddaughter and their friends over to Asia, and for Christmas trips home. We used the last of our miles to fly out to Singapore and Bali in 2018 to celebrate our 40th anniversary.
True. Still, it’s a ton of traveling, thinking about it has me exhausted. Do you often get upgraded to business class since you’re such a frequent flyer?