Singapore Expats

E-Commerce business registered under spouse?

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
DDren_80

E-Commerce business registered under spouse?

Post by DDren_80 » Tue, 08 Mar 2022 2:06 pm

Hi,
I am considering starting an e-commerce business (as well) but I am working for a company under EP.
However, my spouse is a Singapore citizen. As far as I understand from the ACRA webpage, I am anyway not allowed to start my own business. Would it be possible to register it under my partner's name, which obviously has the same address as I have?

One more question. Let's say I want to give the ecommerce thing a try. Means selling a specific product with a low margin and just a few units. Is it even then necessary to register the company or is there something like a tax-free amount/ limit?

So far I always considered applying for PR but I haven't seen the need so far. Maybe I should reconsider it again.

Thanks in advance.
PS, yes I have used the search and read quite a lot here already but couldnt find a similar question to mine :)

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: E-Commerce business registered under spouse?

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 09 Mar 2022 12:53 am

DDren_80 wrote:
Tue, 08 Mar 2022 2:06 pm
Hi,
I am considering starting an e-commerce business (as well) but I am working for a company under EP.
However, my spouse is a Singapore citizen. As far as I understand from the ACRA webpage, I am anyway not allowed to start my own business. Would it be possible to register it under my partner's name, which obviously has the same address as I have?

One more question. Let's say I want to give the ecommerce thing a try. Means selling a specific product with a low margin and just a few units. Is it even then necessary to register the company or is there something like a tax-free amount/ limit?

So far I always considered applying for PR but I haven't seen the need so far. Maybe I should reconsider it again.

Thanks in advance.
PS, yes I have used the search and read quite a lot here already but couldnt find a similar question to mine :)
You cannot work for a second company on EP, even your own.

Your spouse can register and run the business. No one will know if you "help", and, you meet the legal requirements of the law.

All businesses must be registered with the ACRA, with the following exception: If I conduct all my business in my own name only, Art Farkle, then I am not required to register with the ACRA. However, I am considered an unregistered sole proprietorship and must still file as a sole proprietorship tax return.

If you plan on using any other name such as "Art Farkle Toys and Trash", then you must register and get a business ID number. You will also need to register in order to open a business bank account in anything other than your own name as on your FIN/NRIC. And if you don't know, it's tough to deposit checks into an account when the name on the check doesn't match the account name, and Singapore banks are absolutely anal about this. I had a check made out to "John Doe" but because my checking account was setup with my passport, it was styled "Doe John" and the bank wouldn't take the check.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: E-Commerce business registered under spouse?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Apr 2022 11:35 am

kushan wrote:
Fri, 01 Apr 2022 11:04 am
Yes you can register your business under your spouse name. Latter you can be added and director
Not while he is working on an employment pass. Nope, Nada. Nyet!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers