Singapore Expats

When to apply for EP after getting IPA or after getting DP card?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
asiaexpat1990

When to apply for EP after getting IPA or after getting DP card?

Post by asiaexpat1990 » Mon, 07 Mar 2022 8:26 pm

Hello,

My husband's employer has applied for his EP and my DP. My employer has agreed to relocate me to Singapore as well and will be applying for my EP.

The question is, can my employer apply for my EP once I get the In Principle Approval, IPA (For the EP + DP applied by my husband's employer)?

Or do I need to wait to enter Singapore and do the whole bio-metric process to receive my DP card and only then my employer can apply for my EP?

Please help!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: When to apply for EP after getting IPA or after getting DP card?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Mar 2022 8:47 pm

An EP application will take precedence over any LTVP or DP application Your employer should apply now so when you arrive you will have the IPA in your hands and can proceed go to you new employer for final details, etc. At the same time, your husband's employer should continue with your DP application as it may well be approved much faster than your EP. This is not a bit issue as it happens quite often.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

asiaexpat1990

Post by asiaexpat1990 » Mon, 07 Mar 2022 10:42 pm

Hello, sundaymorningstaple!
Thanks a lot for your reply. Quick question though - I'm being told (by my husband's company's visa as well as the visa consultants) that you cannot have two applications for one person at the same time. So if my husband's employer has applied for my DP already, this was done last week, can my employer apply for my EP now?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Mar 2022 12:02 am

I think you misunderstand. You can have as many as you want but one an IPA has been issued, the only thing that will not screw it up is a higher level visa, e.g. an EP trumps a DP or LTVP+. However if applying for the same type of pass after an IPA has been issued will definitely throw a spanner into the works.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

asiaexpat1990

Post by asiaexpat1990 » Wed, 09 Mar 2022 10:48 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tue, 08 Mar 2022 12:02 am
You can have as many as you want but one an IPA has been issued, the only thing that will not screw it up is a higher level visa, e.g. an EP trumps a DP or LTVP+.
Thanks. Just checking if I got it right.
So that means once I get DP IPA, I can apply for EP IPA. While waiting for EP IPA to get approved, I can enter Singapore on DP IPA?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Mar 2022 12:05 pm

As long as you have the IPA, from either, you are good to enter Singapore. Again, if the EP hasn't been IPA'd when you get here. You are okay with the LTVP but you will still need the IPA for EP before you can work. (On a side note, If you have the EP IPA, read it carefully. It should say you are able to work with the IPA until you can get the physical pass issued.) Once you are given the EP the DP will automatically be cancelled, no issue on that.