Singapore Expats

Dyson vacuum

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Dyson vacuum

Post by abbby » Sun, 20 Feb 2022 1:02 pm

Anyone using a Dyson vacuum? Would like to hear from you on its performance and durability?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Re: Dyson vacuum

Post by nelyanne » Sun, 20 Feb 2022 1:47 pm

I would advise buying a Xiaomi instead (G10), and it will be ~2-3 times cheaper.

Pros of Xiaomi:
- lock button - no need to keep pressing during the whole vacuuming process
- smart design of the brush - the hair does not get tangled in (I really LOVE this feature)
- you can use the same brush for the carpets and hard floors (in Dyson, you need to use 2 different brushes)
- super easy to empty the dust compartment - just press one button
- easy to disassemble and clean (in Dyson, if you want to clean the brush, you need to use a coin to remove it first - such a brilliant design! :lol: )

My boyfriend was using a Dyson previously and he says he would never buy it again! Durability was not great, the battery died just after 2 years and some minor things broke as well.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:16 pm

nelyanne wrote:
Sun, 20 Feb 2022 1:47 pm
I would advise buying a Xiaomi instead (G10), and it will be ~2-3 times cheaper.

Pros of Xiaomi:
- lock button - no need to keep pressing during the whole vacuuming process
- smart design of the brush - the hair does not get tangled in (I really LOVE this feature)
- you can use the same brush for the carpets and hard floors (in Dyson, you need to use 2 different brushes)
- super easy to empty the dust compartment - just press one button
- easy to disassemble and clean (in Dyson, if you want to clean the brush, you need to use a coin to remove it first - such a brilliant design! :lol: )

My boyfriend was using a Dyson previously and he says he would never buy it again! Durability was not great, the battery died just after 2 years and some minor things broke as well.
Dyson has a pretty comprehensive warranty program though, the servicing team will even make their way to you instead of having you go to them which I appreciate.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:23 pm

abbby wrote:
Sun, 20 Feb 2022 1:02 pm
Anyone using a Dyson vacuum? Would like to hear from you on its performance and durability?
I use a V11. I especially love the digital screen- shows the amount of run time left on the vacuum so you’re not left guessing. Runs around 50 mins although it’s supposed to last 60. Not too mad about it though, it’s powerful and cordless which is awesome.

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Mon, 21 Feb 2022 8:35 am

nelyanne
Thats what I had heard about Dyson on its durability my friend's set broke down after a very short while..

For Xiaomi, my neighbour has a set and she says its good but my concern is I had a Xiaomi thermometer before and it broke down really fast.

How's your durability and usage time per charge? Is it heavy?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 22 Feb 2022 12:55 am

My friend had a Xiaomi. Emphasis on had. Was much cheaper than a dyson but broke down very soon after buying, probably a little over a month. And this wasn’t even with intensive use, just normal vacuuming a couple times a week.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 23 Feb 2022 8:43 am

An anecdote of one or two people isn’t a good sample size. Asking at least 100 users of each brand would then be a good representative of the population.

IMO, the technology and functions across all brands would be the same. You’re just paying more for Dyson’s brand name.

I have a Xiaomi Roidmi stick vacuum for two years now (and counting). It works well, still going strong. Also used a Dyson for work experiments, feels the same to me so I’ll go with Roidmi as it’s cheaper.

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:29 am

abbby wrote:
Mon, 21 Feb 2022 8:35 am
nelyanne
Thats what I had heard about Dyson on its durability my friend's set broke down after a very short while..

For Xiaomi, my neighbour has a set and she says its good but my concern is I had a Xiaomi thermometer before and it broke down really fast.

Regarding durability, I can't tell much as I bought it recently. G10 is a new model (from 2021 I think) so you won't find many data points online.
But I've been using Xiaomi Roborock S55 intensively for almost 3 years (as my only vacuum cleaner), never had any issues. If you need to replace a small part, like the filter, it is cheap and easy to get (go to Xiaomi store or order from Shopee).
Usage time per charge is roughly as advertised.
The weight when using the standard brush is 2.8kg (the total weight you find online will be ~4kg, but that's the weight of all components combined together).

abbby
Manager
Manager

Post by abbby » Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:31 am

Thanks lisafuller, MOCH and nelyanne for the reviews on Xiaomi and Dyson...looks like a lot of people are using Xiaomi brand and parts are also quite accessible in Shopee, will check out Xiaomi. Thanks.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:28 am

MOCHS wrote:
Wed, 23 Feb 2022 8:43 am
An anecdote of one or two people isn’t a good sample size. Asking at least 100 users of each brand would then be a good representative of the population.

IMO, the technology and functions across all brands would be the same. You’re just paying more for Dyson’s brand name.

I have a Xiaomi Roidmi stick vacuum for two years now (and counting). It works well, still going strong. Also used a Dyson for work experiments, feels the same to me so I’ll go with Roidmi as it’s cheaper.
I have heard pretty good things about the Xiaomi robot vacuum, wondering if you’ve tried it? I’ve been considering getting a robot vac to ease the workload at home - just turn it on before leaving for work and come home to a clean house.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:30 am

nelyanne wrote:
Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:29 am
abbby wrote:
Mon, 21 Feb 2022 8:35 am
nelyanne

Regarding durability, I can't tell much as I bought it recently. G10 is a new model (from 2021 I think) so you won't find many data points online.
But I've been using Xiaomi Roborock S55 intensively for almost 3 years (as my only vacuum cleaner), never had any issues. If you need to replace a small part, like the filter, it is cheap and easy to get (go to Xiaomi store or order from Shopee).
Usage time per charge is roughly as advertised.
The weight when using the standard brush is 2.8kg (the total weight you find online will be ~4kg, but that's the weight of all components combined together).
Wait a sec, I just did a google search and it looks like its the round robotic one. Did you type the wrong model or do you actually use the robotic one? If the latter, how good of a job does it do? I’ve been considering getting a robo vac but haven’t heard any personal opinions, just general reviews online.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:32 am

abbby wrote:
Wed, 23 Feb 2022 10:31 am
Thanks lisafuller, MOCH and nelyanne for the reviews on Xiaomi and Dyson...looks like a lot of people are using Xiaomi brand and parts are also quite accessible in Shopee, will check out Xiaomi. Thanks.
No problem. Are you going with the stick vacuum or the round robot vac?

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 24 Feb 2022 1:13 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:28 am
I have heard pretty good things about the Xiaomi robot vacuum, wondering if you’ve tried it? I’ve been considering getting a robot vac to ease the workload at home - just turn it on before leaving for work and come home to a clean house.
Only my stick vacuum is from Xiaomi. My robot is from iRobot (Roomba) that I bought during the 11/11 sale in 2019.

My colleague uses electronics (robot included) from lesser known brands from Taobao and it works well for her. She’s a Taobao-holic and only shops from sellers with high ratings. I don’t really purchase electronics from TB as I need a travel adapter to use it.

I know there are electricians that can change the electrical plug from the China plug to the SG plug. Another acquaintance of mine did that for her TB appliances and everything is still working fine for her lol. She bought a washing machine and indoor drying system from TB. I would not go that far but to each their own.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 25 Feb 2022 1:44 am

I’m not a fan of shopping on Taobao, I find it hard to get the precise English translations in the search field. More than that, though, I’m not too comfortable with using counterfeit (for lack of a better word) electronics. Too many horror stories about things blowing up and starting fires.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Fri, 25 Feb 2022 6:37 am

The whole of China would be on fire if they used their own “counterfeit” products, don’t you think? I own one such electronic item from TB that my colleague bought for me, it’s an electronic mop and I don’t have to do backbreaking physical mopping anymore. No fires or explosions so far and using it weekly.

That’s why my colleague only shops from sellers with high ratings, that means the reviews are left by real people who use the items. Lazada and Shopee items are also usually found in TB but prices are marked up a bit.