Singapore Expats

Overseas Work on Dependent Pass?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
AllyChar

Overseas Work on Dependent Pass?

Post by AllyChar » Sun, 20 Feb 2022 12:01 pm

Hello a friend mentioned there's a possible loophole when it comes to the ability to work while on a dependent pass. Essentially my husband and I are moving to Singapore, and I'll be on a dependent pass. I'm reluctant to leave my UK job and my boss is committed to making it work (either me being a contractor, employee...whatever I need).

I've heard that if you're working freelance (independent contractor) and if your client(s) are overseas WITHOUT any operations in Singapore, there's technically nothing blocking you from keeping this work while on a dependent pass in Singapore and you can still qualify to be a Singaporean tax resident.

I was hoping someone could provide some advice or suggest a UK/ Singapore tax accountant to speak with? It's the second point that makes me nervous as in how I would file my Singapore taxes so I'm not double taxed and if I'd need set it up as a UK 'limited company' or just a 'self-employed freelancer' to make this work.

dylbags1

Re: Overseas Work on Dependent Pass?

Post by dylbags1 » Sun, 16 Apr 2023 3:55 pm

Hey AllyChar, have you found anything about this? Or does anyone else know?