Singapore Expats

Meta stocks crashes

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Meta stocks crashes

Post by abbby » Fri, 04 Feb 2022 10:08 am

wow..US$200 billion in the stock market in a day..and he lost US$29b that's a lot. But I am sure Mark has still a lot to spare.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/busines ... sh-2478581
Last edited by abbby on Fri, 04 Feb 2022 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Re: Meta stocks crashes

Post by smoulder » Fri, 04 Feb 2022 10:41 am

Sensationalized reporting. His net worth sure fell by that much. But that's to be expected when you are an investor who invests large sums of money in stocks as he does. There will be big short term fluctuations along the way. What's more important is the long term. Over a few decades that net worth is more likely than not going to be way more than it is today.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 04 Feb 2022 10:56 pm

Once you have a 12 figure net worth like Zuck, nothing like this is going to phase you… unless you’ve got ego problems.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 13 Feb 2022 2:32 pm

Wassup Yo! That's totally cool, ese 🙂 I hope we get a nice dip in the indices in the next few weeks heading into the 1st rate hike in Mar. This year should be great to deploy your cash into the markets.

smoulder
Editor
Editor

Post by smoulder » Mon, 14 Feb 2022 1:46 am

Wd40 wrote:
Sun, 13 Feb 2022 2:32 pm
Wassup Yo! That's totally cool, ese 🙂 I hope we get a nice dip in the indices in the next few weeks heading into the 1st rate hike in Mar. This year should be great to deploy your cash into the markets.
In time for the year end bonus :)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 14 Feb 2022 11:39 am

smoulder wrote:
Mon, 14 Feb 2022 1:46 am
Wd40 wrote:
Sun, 13 Feb 2022 2:32 pm
In time for the year end bonus :)
Same here, our bonus will be paid in March.

Last year our bonus was completely nixed, so hoping for a healthy one, to make up for last year. My employer can be painfully conservative at times. The only saving grace is the fringe benefits, like ESPP and SRS contributions.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Mon, 14 Feb 2022 8:32 pm

In my industry, bonuses are consistently pushed back under adverse business conditions. I usually miss the damn timings to plough capital into the markets….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:38 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 04 Feb 2022 10:56 pm
Once you have a 12 figure net worth like Zuck, nothing like this is going to phase you… unless you’ve got ego problems.
Exactly, and look at the way he lives. Wearing the same old shirts and driving a crappy car, he doesn’t care what his net worth is. It’s everyone else that cares.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:40 pm

smoulder wrote:
Fri, 04 Feb 2022 10:41 am
Sensationalized reporting. His net worth sure fell by that much. But that's to be expected when you are an investor who invests large sums of money in stocks as he does. There will be big short term fluctuations along the way. What's more important is the long term. Over a few decades that net worth is more likely than not going to be way more than it is today.
Yup, one thing about the stock market is that value constantly changes, whether or not you panic is dependent on whether you’re in it for the long term. The ones who panic with big drops are typically short term investors looking to make a quick buck. The long term investors stay cool and calm.

BarJim

Post by BarJim » Tue, 08 Mar 2022 7:13 am

The stock keeps going down. They have had to pull out of Russia and its hit them. Not sure if now is a good time to invest?

danielhh

Post by danielhh » Sat, 02 Apr 2022 11:38 pm

BarJim wrote:
Tue, 08 Mar 2022 7:13 am
The stock keeps going down. They have had to pull out of Russia and its hit them. Not sure if now is a good time to invest?
I just established a position in meta ( no recommendation though) if you're looking for some research on the company check these threads : https://gamingindustry247.com/the-best- ... investors/

I think the market is sleeping on meta's move into Virtual Reality. this is not a fad in my view