Singapore Expats

In Search of Answers from the US

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
LawrenceChung

In Search of Answers from the US

Post by LawrenceChung » Wed, 26 Jan 2022 4:11 pm

Hello SingaporeExpats,

My name is Lawrence, and I was the head of operations for a small business in the US. Recently, a Singaporean lady and I are looking to take our relationship to the next level. I have a postgraduate degree. I am looking to relocate to Singapore.

My hard skills are in supply chain, business development, and operations within durable and fast moving consumer goods. Thus far, cold applying to positions have yielded little result. I am open to a career change but I also loved my operations role. I'm not sure if being adventurous is the right disposition for Singaporean opportunities.

I am hoping to better understand the following:
Is there a path from marriage? And if so, would it open the door to more opportunities? Are immigration policies prohibitive from an employers perspective like they often are in the US?

Are there are any resources I am missing? Anything distinct for Expats?

Is this environment too competitive to broaden my career choices and should I solely focus on my strengths?

What aspects of a job hunt should I be hard focusing on? Are there any distinct differences between a US resume that is frowned upon in Sg? I've done much research on this and there never seems to be a consensus on particulars like length, photos, and even skills and languages. I'm hoping to reduce the variance here.

Thank you for taking the time to read, and I look forward to any advice or experiences.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: In Search of Answers from the US

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Jan 2022 6:37 pm

LawrenceChung wrote:
Wed, 26 Jan 2022 4:11 pm
Hello SingaporeExpats,

My name is Lawrence, and I was the head of operations for a small business in the US. Recently, a Singaporean lady and I are looking to take our relationship to the next level. I have a postgraduate degree. I am looking to relocate to Singapore.

My hard skills are in supply chain, business development, and operations within durable and fast moving consumer goods. Thus far, cold applying to positions have yielded little result. I am open to a career change but I also loved my operations role. I'm not sure if being adventurous is the right disposition for Singaporean opportunities.

Is there a path from marriage? And if so, would it open the door to more opportunities? Are immigration policies prohibitive from an employers perspective like they often are in the US?

Is this environment too competitive to broaden my career choices and should I solely focus on my strengths?

What aspects of a job hunt should I be hard focusing on? Are there any distinct differences between a US resume that is frowned upon in Sg? I've done much research on this and there never seems to be a consensus on particulars like length, photos, and even skills and languages. I'm hoping to reduce the variance here.

Thank you for taking the time to read, and I look forward to any advice or experiences.
I guess the first parameters we need to ascertain is where are you currently. As you have an anglo-asian name are you an ABC? US citizen or Green Card holder?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:18 am

Valid to consider if taking such a big move is something you want to do during the pandemic. I understand that with no real end it sight it may feel counterintuitive to wait for things to “clear up” but I would say do not make the move until you have secured a stable position here. The cost of living is incredibly high and if you find yourself unemployed for a long period of time be prepared to dig into your savings.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 10:52 am

We have had several members recently move here and succeed on the basis you propose. Search for Sunjackel's post.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:25 pm

Interesting that there has been no reply to my query or any other. I'm wonder if his location may have something to do with it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:52 am

Post seems pretty sincere though, doubt a scammer would have taken all that effort.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:43 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:52 am
Post seems pretty sincere though, doubt a scammer would have taken all that effort.
You would be surprised. Ask any of our moderators here or for that matter ask MOCHS as she's be a moderator on other boards. We clear probably close to 80~100 scammer/trolls EVERY 24 HRS on this Board along. The vast majority from Indian & Pakistan but also Rumania, California, New York Colorado, with lesser number but sufficient enough to warrant mention, the 'peens, PRC, Taiwan, VN (and growing) and African countries trying to sell bulk mobile phones. It is a thankless, never-ending job and my last scan of the threads is often at 2 or 3 am. Some of the responses are quite elaborate.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Post by MOCHS » Tue, 08 Feb 2022 2:25 pm

^ 100 spammers a day?! My previous fandom forum only had 10 or so daily. I recall we activated a function similar to Captcha during account registration but it involved answering a question that any fan who has seen the show will know the answer and we rotate the question every few months.

I once banned someone in the back of a speeding taxi at midnight. Good times. :P

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 09 Feb 2022 10:29 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:18 am
Valid to consider if taking such a big move is something you want to do during the pandemic. I understand that with no real end it sight it may feel counterintuitive to wait for things to “clear up” but I would say do not make the move until you have secured a stable position here. The cost of living is incredibly high and if you find yourself unemployed for a long period of time be prepared to dig into your savings.
Back when I was faced with a similar decision, I thought briefly about making a temporary visit to Singapore for a job search prior to committing to move. However, I had already been with my GF (now wife) for 4 years in the US and she had no other option but to move back to Singapore for family reasons. I was a fairly recent graduate, so I knew it wouldn’t be easy. In the end I decided the best chance of succeeding was by committing to make the move — jobless and sight unseen… and figure the rest out once I got here.

Although this was the first international flight of my life, I had read up on Singapore and my SO had prepared me. Within 24 hours of landing I had signed an agreement for an HDB room rental and was eating chicken rice at a coffee shop.

Getting a job here was easier than expected, but getting an EP was a whole lot harder. The drop in material standard of living was palpable… I spent the same amount of money, but instead of having my own apartment and car, I could only rent a room and take public transport.

Would I recommend anyone do what I did? Only if you are 100% sure you know what you are getting yourself into (she had better be worth it). I was prepared for anything, and… I’m still here, still with her, 26 years later.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 09 Feb 2022 10:58 am

LawrenceChung wrote:
Hello SingaporeExpats,

What residential address are you putting on your resume? Initial screening by HR will usually filter out any applicants applying from abroad. I recommend putting your lady friend’s address on your resume. This signals your intention to reside in Singapore. You can explain the rest in the interview, which will probably be remote.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Titan70

Post by Titan70 » Mon, 26 Sep 2022 6:57 pm

malcontent wrote:
Wed, 09 Feb 2022 10:58 am
LawrenceChung wrote:
Hello SingaporeExpats,

What residential address are you putting on your resume? Initial screening by HR will usually filter out any applicants applying from abroad. I recommend putting your lady friend’s address on your resume. This signals your intention to reside in Singapore. You can explain the rest in the interview, which will probably be remote.
Solid suggestion, however I wonder if someone applying from abroad will get "knocked out" by tech when whatever program identifies the application coming from IP address outside of SG and the applicant is never seen by anyone within the company.
Tech advancements haven't all been for the good of humanity in my humble opinion. This is certainly an area where the tech could filter out someone applying from abroad. Maybe I am overthinking it.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 26 Sep 2022 7:39 pm

Titan70 wrote:
Mon, 26 Sep 2022 6:57 pm
malcontent wrote:
LawrenceChung wrote:
Hello SingaporeExpats,

Solid suggestion, however I wonder if someone applying from abroad will get "knocked out" by tech when whatever program identifies the application coming from IP address outside of SG and the applicant is never seen by anyone within the company.
Tech advancements haven't all been for the good of humanity in my humble opinion. This is certainly an area where the tech could filter out someone applying from abroad. Maybe I am overthinking it.
Definitely possible, unfortunately. And you are right, the geo-nonsense is getting worse. I was recently flagged when I applied for a new US credit card from here. It was Capital One, and their system now compares your home/work address and if your IP address where you are applying from is too many miles away, or worse, out of the country, it will flag you hard. It was utterly useless to try and get it resolved with CS.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 27 Sep 2022 1:39 am

Titan70 wrote:
malcontent wrote:
LawrenceChung wrote:
Hello SingaporeExpats,

While it is possible, there’s no point in worrying about it - even if it were the case, what are you going to do about it? The most you can do is explain your situation via email, or over zoom.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 27 Sep 2022 1:40 am

malcontent wrote:
Titan70 wrote:
Mon, 26 Sep 2022 6:57 pm
malcontent wrote:
Definitely possible, unfortunately. And you are right, the geo-nonsense is getting worse. I was recently flagged when I applied for a new US credit card from here. It was Capital One, and their system now compares your home/work address and if your IP address where you are applying from is too many miles away, or worse, out of the country, it will flag you hard. It was utterly useless to try and get it resolved with CS.
Had a similar problem with Wells Fargo a while back - wanted to cash in some old bonds but wasn’t able to make any such transaction as the system detected that I was abroad. So annoying.