Singapore Expats

Can I bring hamsters?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
GandK

Can I bring hamsters?

Post by GandK » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 6:46 am

While planning to move to Singapore in April, our children are seriously concerned that they may not be able to take their hamsters there. They are 'Winter white dwarf' (around 6~7 cm long), about 1 year old, and very healthy. :D

Is it possible to bring Hamsters (small animals) to Singapore? If 'yes', would you recommend handy agents who are good at document preparation and import procedures, etc.

Thanks,

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 2

Re: Can I bring hamsters?

Post by MOCHS » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 9:58 am

Check here for requirements and here for the list of approved pet agents. Personally used Jason’s Pet Relocation, they will link you up with relocation company in your country to handle the export process too, separate fees of course since it’s two companies you’re engaging. Both companies will be in contact with one another and you for the whole process.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 10:57 pm

GandK wrote:
Tue, 25 Jan 2022 6:46 am
While planning to move to Singapore in April, our children are seriously concerned that they may not be able to take their hamsters there. They are 'Winter white dwarf' (around 6~7 cm long), about 1 year old, and very healthy. :D

Is it possible to bring Hamsters (small animals) to Singapore? If 'yes', would you recommend handy agents who are good at document preparation and import procedures, etc.

Thanks,
MOCHS is right, consult a pet moving company for rates and more info. I will give you a fair warning though that moving pets overseas can be incredibly expensive, depending on where you’re located costs can go up to well over a thousand. It will probably be good to do your own cost benefit analysis, to determine if the costs are worth it.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Wed, 26 Jan 2022 12:27 pm

The SG relocation companies are able to log into the quarantine facility website at any time to see how full the quarantine spaces are. You will not be able to do that by yourself until you are halfway through the process.

Right now, official quarantine spaces are fully booked up to 6 months in advance. However, you can ask about the home quarantine option but it’s only for certain countries.

And with the pandemic still on-going, we don’t know if flights will be cancelled? And even if was no pandemic, flights can get cancelled due to weather or other unfavourable conditions. The relocation company will be able to re-arrange it for you without you navigating through the paperwork again by yourself.

Do take note pets fly as either carry on (usually for service dogs) or checked baggage (under your name, along with the rest of your luggage) or manifest cargo (under the pet’s name).

Manifest cargo is better ‘cos they can track the pet throughout the whole process. If it’s checked baggage, well, our own luggages aren’t even tracked in a commercial flight… You do not want to take the risk of your pet going missing.

I do not know which airline will let you carry on a hamster.

If you’re worried about the conditions of the cargo, it’s temperature controlled and as long as there’s food, water, blanket, and a toy, your pet will be fine. There will be noise since the plane engines are running.

Husband’s cat travelled via manifest cargo (US to SG) and even had a transit in the animal hotel in Amsterdam where her food, water, and any soiled bedding were changed.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:15 am

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone moving a hamster overseas. Frankly I’m not sure if a long flight would be the best idea for such a small animal.

MOCHS
Reporter
Reporter

Post by MOCHS » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 7:42 am

Pet stores import small animals all the time, fish included. The hamster will be fine as long as the vet assesses that it’s fit to fly.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:16 pm

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:15 am
I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone moving a hamster overseas. Frankly I’m not sure if a long flight would be the best idea for such a small animal.
I reckon if ladies can fly with teacup dogs, Hamsters & Guinea Pigs shouldn't be an issue.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nelyanne
Regular
Regular

Post by nelyanne » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 3:01 pm

Finnair used to allow small pets on board. I heard about a person who brought a chinchilla to Singapore this way.
But their website says that this option is now suspended due to COVID.
Maybe check with them?

https://www.finnair.com/sg-en/pets-on-finnair-flights

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 7:32 pm

MOCHS wrote:
Thu, 27 Jan 2022 7:42 am
Pet stores import small animals all the time, fish included. The hamster will be fine as long as the vet assesses that it’s fit to fly.
True, if a vet says it’s fine then it must be fine. I wouldn't feel safe unless I had my pet assessed.