Singapore Expats

How often are drivers tests?

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

How often are drivers tests?

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 4:04 am

My daughter has passed her BTT and FTT, and is finishing her simulator course in the next week. Wondering if anyone knows how often Traffic Police driving tests are conducted? The SSDC website only shows one date for each month, and nothing more. Is this to mean that tests are only held once a month?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: How often are drivers tests?

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 8:36 am

It's a scheduling nightmare and BBDC is over loaded. MY son has been working on his car and bike licence for 12 months there and the major issue is the availability of slots.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 11:06 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 25 Jan 2022 8:36 am
It's a scheduling nightmare and BBDC is over loaded. MY son has been working on his car and bike licence for 12 months there and the major issue is the availability of slots.
Wow, getting both car AND bike simultaneously? So ambitious. Is he doing manual or auto? My daughter is at SSDC, scheduling is also awful. She’s a private candidate, so luckily her one advantage over school candidates is that she hasn’t had an issue scheduling practical lessons. Has your son managed to book his TP test?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 11:06 pm

Manual. No TP tet yet.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:07 am

Any reason why? My understanding is that learners typically pick auto because its cheaper, easier to learn, and less time consuming.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 2:09 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:07 am
Any reason why? My understanding is that learners typically pick auto because its cheaper, easier to learn, and less time consuming.
If you test with an automatic, you can only get a class 3A license and you are not legal to drive any car with a clutch.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 7:30 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Thu, 27 Jan 2022 2:09 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:07 am
If you test with an automatic, you can only get a class 3A license and you are not legal to drive any car with a clutch.
Yup I’m aware of this, but what are the odds of her ever needing to drive stick? The neighbors son got a class 3 license a couple years back, still hasn’t driven a manual car since.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:04 pm

I drove a manual up till I retired and got rid of the car. Kia with an optional 5 speed manual. Also drove a mini-cooper here for a couple of years. In fact. most of the cars I've owned, including the one's purchased new, were with manual transmissions, but the fact is I used to race Class D sports cars in the US so actually preferred them. Granted they are not the ideals city stop/start type of cars so here I believe it okay, but if she like to travel, and rent cars where she's on a free & easy type of trip, it's nice to be proficient.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:31 pm

Most of my daughters friends have opted for the class 3A license to save time effort and money, think it’s the norm now. My dad learned to drive stick back in the day and tried to teach me back in FL, but I never took much of an interest.