Singapore Expats

Tesla

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Tesla

Post by abbby » Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:14 am

Anyone owns a Tesla in Singapore? How do you like your ride and how convenient do you find the charging points that are available to you?

Petrol prices are still climbing rapidly...electric car might be the next option.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Tesla

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:16 am

I'm now employed in the energy / carbon credit space.

There is a significant realtime pollution / GHG savings in using an EV. To the point where I think it's hypocritical of me to drive an ICE vehicle (Internal Combustion Engine) if I'm going to be sitting there seeing how much CO2 our ICE car emits.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Jan 2022 6:41 pm

I was given to understand that the carbon footprint is as high or even higher than the ICE is over the normal lifetime of the vehicle from mfg to scrapping and beyond. The reason is the footprint that the battery create in their mining and mfg before they even get into the vehicle. I might be wrong, but it seems to me we are not getting all the data required from all the various dots so we can honestly connect them.

Similar issues with wind turbines.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 3:33 am

abbby wrote:
Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:14 am
Anyone owns a Tesla in Singapore? How do you like your ride and how convenient do you find the charging points that are available to you?

Petrol prices are still climbing rapidly...electric car might be the next option.
I read recently that something around 300 Teslas were registered in Singapore last month alone, they’ve become the most popular EV in Singapore in terms of sales. I’d expect this kind of popularity to see an accompanying increase in charging ports to keep up with demand.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 3:33 am

bigytypa wrote:
Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:40 pm
Electric car should be the next option if we want to save money and planet. All inconveniences will be dealt someday, but the same cannot be said of the harm the petrol cars do to our environment.
Agreed. If I didn’t already have a car I would have definitely gone for the Tesla. They’re not just sleek and sexy, but great for the environment as well, and much cheaper to maintain in the long run.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 8:39 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Tue, 25 Jan 2022 3:33 am
abbby wrote:

I read recently that something around 300 Teslas were registered in Singapore last month alone, they’ve become the most popular EV in Singapore in terms of sales. I’d expect this kind of popularity to see an accompanying increase in charging ports to keep up with demand.
There is a major gahmen push for charging stations (it's a space I work in now). I expect in a few years this govt to announce a ban on new ICE cars being sold.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 11:07 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 25 Jan 2022 8:39 am
Lisafuller wrote:
abbby wrote:

There is a major gahmen push for charging stations (it's a space I work in now). I expect in a few years this govt to announce a ban on new ICE cars being sold.
I see, with government support there will definitely be a notable increase in charging stations. All things are possible with the PAP…

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Wed, 26 Jan 2022 9:49 am

PNGMK wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
abbby wrote:

Certainly looking forward to having more charging stations around Singapore. Also hopefully prices of the cars can come down as well...finding it little on the pricey side. ](*,)
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 26 Jan 2022 10:21 am

Look at the MG range Abby. They are the best value in the EV space right now.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:09 am

abbby wrote:
Wed, 26 Jan 2022 9:49 am
PNGMK wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

Certainly looking forward to having more charging stations around Singapore. Also hopefully prices of the cars can come down as well...finding it little on the pricey side. ](*,)
Frankly I think the pricing is just “Singapore pricing”. They are already pretty reasonably priced compared to other EVs, and only a little more expensive than regular gas cars.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 1:12 am

PNGMK wrote:
Wed, 26 Jan 2022 10:21 am
Look at the MG range Abby. They are the best value in the EV space right now.
Are they as “techy” though? I feel like most of the appeal of Teslas is how futuristic they are, the huge touch screen and the features that come with it really sets it apart from other cars.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 27 Jan 2022 6:43 am

Lisa

Most women I know hate the techy part of Tesla. The touch screen inside. My wife's idea of an ideal EV is one with just a key to turn it on and no touch screen. Musk has misread the women's market.

The MG looks simpler.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:51 am

PNGMK wrote:
Thu, 27 Jan 2022 6:43 am
Lisa

Most women I know hate the techy part of Tesla. The touch screen inside. My wife's idea of an ideal EV is one with just a key to turn it on and no touch screen. Musk has misread the women's market.

The MG looks simpler.
Really? I guess I’m not like most women in this sense. The entire appeal of the Teslas for me is all the Easter eggs hidden in the touch screen system.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 9:18 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:51 am
PNGMK wrote:
Lisa

The MG looks simpler.
Really? I guess I’m not like most women in this sense. The entire appeal of the Teslas for me is all the Easter eggs hidden in the touch screen system.
No, I assure you, that you are not normal for a woman.

My wife took one look at that screen and said "NO".

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:22 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Fri, 28 Jan 2022 9:18 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 28 Jan 2022 1:51 am
PNGMK wrote:
Lisa

The MG looks simpler.
No, I assure you, that you are not normal for a woman.

My wife took one look at that screen and said "NO".
Hahaha, I saw my first Tesla in the US at a showroom a couple years back. My first thoughts were, it comes with a free iPad in the front!