Singapore Expats

Father who killed his twin sons

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Father who killed his twin sons

Post by abbby » Sun, 23 Jan 2022 9:51 pm

Wasn't quite expecting the father to be the one, but really sad to know he did what he did...I guess it's a really stressful life taking care, but nevertheless, it would had been nice if the kids had been able to receive more help in caregiving other than the parents (special care homes etc..)
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Father who killed his twin sons

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 24 Jan 2022 2:20 am

As much as I feel for the poor boys, I can’t help but feel for the father as well. It’s very difficult to empathize with the weight of raising special needs kids, especially 2 of them. Wish they all could have received more help, perhaps it would have prevented this tragedy.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 24 Jan 2022 9:26 am

Well let's be careful - the father is only alleged to have killed his kids and is (even in Singapore) innocent until convicted. Also it is very difficult for a person charged here to have adequate legal support once they are under arrest and unfortunately there is no right to silence - the courts and the SPF can take silence as an admission of guilt and there is no limitation on how long they can hold you. So...

SPF OIC: "Did you kill your kids?", "Did you push your kids", "did you hurt your kid" ad infinitum for hours and hours

Overwhelmed father stunned into silence: "....."

SPF OIC "Aiyah this one must be guilty, send to AGC then we wash hands".

I'm certainly hoping they have other evidence as well ....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 24 Jan 2022 9:28 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 24 Jan 2022 2:20 am
As much as I feel for the poor boys, I can’t help but feel for the father as well. It’s very difficult to empathize with the weight of raising special needs kids, especially 2 of them. Wish they all could have received more help, perhaps it would have prevented this tragedy.
I've often thought we need a service where overwhelmed parents can put their kids, even temporarily or for a long time if need be, if overwhelmed.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:09 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 24 Jan 2022 9:28 am
Lisafuller wrote:
I've often thought we need a service where overwhelmed parents can put their kids, even temporarily or for a long time if need be, if overwhelmed.
Yes, hope there will be more support for parents in need of such help to offload the children to care centres to help watch over their children for certain days a week/ or just when needed. Sometimes for the whole family it's just overwhelming so outside help would be beneficial for the parents to just take a break and breathe.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:13 am

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:14 am

abbby wrote:
Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:09 am
PNGMK wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
Yes, hope there will be more support for parents in need of such help to offload the children to care centres to help watch over their children for certain days a week/ or just when needed. Sometimes for the whole family it's just overwhelming so outside help would be beneficial for the parents to just take a break and breathe.
Well we know how Lisa feels about 18 yo daughters....

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 3:49 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 24 Jan 2022 9:26 am
Well let's be careful - the father is only alleged to have killed his kids and is (even in Singapore) innocent until convicted. Also it is very difficult for a person charged here to have adequate legal support once they are under arrest and unfortunately there is no right to silence - the courts and the SPF can take silence as an admission of guilt and there is no limitation on how long they can hold you. So...

SPF OIC: "Did you kill your kids?", "Did you push your kids", "did you hurt your kid" ad infinitum for hours and hours

Overwhelmed father stunned into silence: "....."

SPF OIC "Aiyah this one must be guilty, send to AGC then we wash hands".

I'm certainly hoping they have other evidence as well ....
I hope the case can be handled compassionately- take into account factors like mental state and the pressures he was under. I could be wrong, but I don’t believe any parent would ever kill their children, unless they somehow believed it was their last option (even then I don’t think I could ever) although I would never know unless I was in his position. Also, I’m not sure why he’s only been charged for the murder of one of the kids but not the other. Any idea?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 3:50 am

PNGMK wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
Completely agree. Even if it may be a socially unpopular move to leave your kids with caretakers at a facility, at least they would be cared for and the parents would have some time to clear their heads until they’re in a better place to raise their kids.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 3:52 am

abbby wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:
I think one of the reasons this isn’t being done in SG is just because of the taboo surrounding having others caring for ones children. People here would rather have their parents/in-laws watch over their kids than have an “outsider” do the job, and the parents/ in-laws are happy to do it!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 3:53 am

Right, in this article it says he was charged for the murder of his “son” when clearly 2 of them were murdered. Why has he only been charged for one of them? Do the charges somehow overlap?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 3:55 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:14 am
abbby wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Well we know how Lisa feels about 18 yo daughters....
What am I missing here? I’ve got an 18 year old girl, you definitely know that by now, and I would have never placed her in a facility, although she’s not special needs so there’s no way I can even begin to imagine his situation.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 8:38 am

I was being silly Lisa...

As for why the father charged for only one death and not the other, there are several scenarios that come to mind but not my place to speculate. Very unfortunate.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 12:20 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 25 Jan 2022 8:38 am

As for why the father charged for only one death and not the other, there are several scenarios that come to mind but not my place to speculate. Very unfortunate.
I was thinking much along the same lines. I hope the father will give some clarity before he's dealt with.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 25 Jan 2022 10:50 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Tue, 25 Jan 2022 8:38 am

Hahaha, that’s what I figured but wanted to be sure. Unlike you, I’m not really able to imagine why he was only charged for one, guess we will just have to wait for more to come out in the news.